1st 1911...to crimson or not? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1st 1911...to crimson or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I went to the range today and on my way home stopped by the local pawn shop. I found a PT1911 like brand new with Hogue wraparounds and 4 mags. I decided to take some advice and learn the 1911 platform before investing a ton of $$. So far so good.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #12

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Now the real question is ............. Will the wife let you buy one? Remember your last post on convincing the wife on buying more guns... were we that good with our advice?

Old 07-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #13

I've become quite fond of my Combat Elite. I received it from Colt about 2 weeks ago, it's now my gaming gun, giving the custom series 70 a break on the ammo count.
After teaching at POST all last week, IDPA today, I'm into it about 400 rounds without a single hick up.
The money for the Combat Elite is not real high, and they are easy to find online. If you are lucky enough to be an armorer, well then your price is even better, but then you're stuck in my shoes waiting for 7 months while Colt builds.
Either way... an outstanding way to go. ALSO... any of the XSE line is a smokin' weapon. If you're into the new fandangled slide serrations, which do have a purpose in life, the XSE is a great way to go.

Dutch1911
1/*

Old 07-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #14

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I do not shoot a 1911, but I have CT on both of my carry guns. I'm glad I have it, just in case I'm in one those exceedingly rare situations that I can't assume my usual stance or something. But when I train, I try my best to ignore that dot out there. I find it can be quite distracting. It's fine for a Glock, but if I had a 1911, I think the closest to laser I would get would be tritium sights.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 07-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #15

If the Kimber is a bit too pricey, which is understandable, I would suggest looking to Colt, Taurus, or S&W. All of the above have some very nice pistols. I've never shot a Taurus or S&W, but they've come highly recomended to me.

Also, I agree with the others who said if you're not gonna carry it on a daily basis, I stick with a 4"-5" barrel. But, this is a personal preference matter.

"Wenn Sie Frieden wollen, bereiten Sie fuer Krieg vor"

"I was born, a shotgun in my hands. Behind the guns, I make my final stand" -Bad Company cover by Five Finger Death Punch (love that song)

Old 07-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #16
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2866 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Now the real question is ............. Will the wife let you buy one? Remember your last post on convincing the wife on buying more guns... were we that good with our advice?
Better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-11-2010, 03:16 AM   #17

Well I went with the Taurus PT1911. I really like the feel of it and the quality seems great. I'll post a range report soon

Old 07-11-2010, 03:28 AM   #18

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Since the thread was about crimson trace, what about the big question? To lase or not to lase?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 07-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Howdy everyone,

Since I got such wonderful responses to my "Convince the Wife" post, I've decided to press my luck and venture down the long and winding road of 1911s. I have fired a few at the range and have made a few determinations but I would like some advice from you folks out there.

First, I seem to shoot better with the smaller barrel guns i.e less than 5 in. I shot the Kimber Pro Carry very well.
Second, I don't have a ton of money so I'm not sure if the Kimber route is the way to go. Are there any comparable options? The gun MUST be reliable and go bang every time. Also, if I do go the Kimber route is the laser really worth it? This will be a home defense and range weapon.

Thanx in advance,
-C-
Hi,
I have the Kimber Pro Crimson Carry and, I will never, never get rid of it. If you buy it w/out the CT grips you'll regret it. The cost as an after market item is more than the difference between the pro & the crimson prices.
FYI: I also have the CT grips on my Walther PPK/S .380

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD

Old 07-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #20

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

If it's me buying and I don't want a 5" barrel I'll go with a Commander length. It's not much shorter but the .75" less in barrel length makes sitting down with an IWB better for some people.

When you get to the 3" 1911 type weapons the cost starts to bump up pretty high. Many have had reliability issues with their 3" models not wanting to feed as well as their bigger brothers do.

If this is going to be a first 1911 then a full size model is almost a must. But if you are convinced that you shoot a shorter bbl. then take a look at the plethora of commander length models out there. Two of the best commander length I've owned where a Colt Combat Commander and my still daily drive a Para Ord LTC.

AS to lasers I don't see them as much more than pricey toys. But each shooter is different. A lot of people like them.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson