1987 1911 refinish
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

1987 1911 refinish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Default 1987 1911 refinish

Thinking about sending in my 1911 to colt for the refinish job. It was made in 1987, wasn't used to kill insurgents or hitler or Stalin or anything like that. What I've read though, that's like a cardinal sin akin to eatting lunch at high school parking lots wearing a disguise or something. It's got a lot of wear from the previous twenty years and it's my favorite gun. Am I a bad guy for wanting to spit shine my baby?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-29-2012, 01:21 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6787 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfev1980 View Post
Thinking about sending in my 1911 to colt for the refinish job. It was made in 1987, wasn't used to kill insurgents or hitler or Stalin or anything like that. What I've read though, that's like a cardinal sin akin to eatting lunch at high school parking lots wearing a disguise or something. It's got a lot of wear from the previous twenty years and it's my favorite gun. Am I a bad guy for wanting to spit shine my baby?
if it was a colt 1911 from 1912 or something that would be an issue but a 1987 version sending it back to colt for colt to do it would prolly raise the value with a colt factory refinish 30 years from now when it may be a collectable not even a real expert would know.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." ó L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 02-29-2012, 02:18 AM   #3

Not the best picture but the bluing is completely worn below the slide lock, the front of the slide is pretty worn and the exposed part of the barrel near the chamber is worn pretty well. I got it for what I considered a really good deal and even spending the couple of hundred bucks for a new finish i would still come in way below the cost of a new one. Plus, like I said, it's my baby.
image-156650665.jpg  

Old 02-29-2012, 02:41 AM   #4

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Hello pfev1980, I have owned Colts since the mid 60s and would not hesitate to refinish a 1987 vintage Colt if I felt like it. I have a formerly blue-worn Colt Govt. made in '64, that appeared to have what remained of the original finish. I am not the original owner. I had it reblued, along with other work, in '98, still own it, and am glad I had it "spit shined".

I guess I'm too old, and have owned too many Colts, to believe they are all some kind sacrosanct collectors item or something, once they are a few years old. For instance, the original '70 Series, that tend to bring such high "collector" prices now days. I purchased several '70 Governments and Gold Cups back when they were in production. Some, were not really very good guns. Upon reflection, perhaps it's good they are "collectibles" now, because some sure weren't very good for shooting...

Old 02-29-2012, 02:52 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Refinish it the way you want and continue to carry it and have fun

Old 02-29-2012, 02:58 AM   #6

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Pvef1980

You pic looks like a 1991 Series 80. I've got the same gun and am waiting for our resident PAPA BEAR on all things COLT to weigh in on this.

Cane... You out there tonight?

Mine is mint condition, but it's a series 80, plain Jane, with the matte black finish and I would really love a blued colt.

Tack

Old 02-29-2012, 03:45 AM   #7

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

The gun does not have a high intrinsic value but even so, it's probably worth more now than what it cost new.

What you have is what I call a Heirloom Shooter. It's value is personal, not financial.

I'd return it to Colt for refinishing. Call them;
CUSTOMER SERVICE

Coltís Manufacturing Company LLC
P.O. Box 1868
Hartford, CT 06144

Tel: 800-962-COLT (2658) * Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm EST
Fax: (860) 244-1379
Ask them about the work you want done:
Firearm Refinishing
Do you have a Colt firearm or firearm part that needs refinishing? Why ruin your gun with a refinishing job or refinished piece that is not up to Colt standards?

Coltís Manufacturing Company is pleased to offer a range of refinishing options:

Refinishing
  • Receiver Only
  • Slide Only
  • Revolver Cylinder Only
  • Revolver Barrel Only
  • Complete Refinish of Firearm

Styles
  • Matte Blue
  • Blue
  • Nickel
  • Royal Blue
  • Hard Chrome
  • Stainless
  • Bright Stainless
  • Stainless to Bright Stainless

While at Colt, have them go through the gun for repair or replacement of anything needed. They can do custom work should you want.

Keep us in the loop.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

Pvef1980

You pic looks like a 1991 Series 80. I've got the same gun and am waiting for our resident PAPA BEAR on all things COLT to weigh in on this.

Cane... You out there tonight?

Mine is mint condition, but it's a series 80, plain Jane, with the matte black finish and I would really love a blued colt.

Tack
Nah, it's just a bad pic, if I were home I'd get a better one. I'm in Florida at a SNCO seminar at the moment. I called Colt with the serial and they verified the year of manufacture. I'm going to send it in for the refinish in the next week or so. Will take some quality before and afters and post them. Thanks for the input everyone.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #9

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Not at all-
Make it look like this one from the Colt shop

1987 1911 refinish - 1911 Forum

Old 02-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #10

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

Not at all-
Make it look like this one from the Colt shop
That is a beauty!!