1911's so many choices
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911's so many choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1911's so many choices

I'm looking to buy a model 1911. I have been researching them for 2 months and the only thing that I seem to be figuring out is that the longer I research the more I get frustrated. There are so many choices I can't make up my mind as to which I should get. So I am asking for any info on which brand , type I should buy?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #2

Liked 409 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I feel ya, JD. The 100th anniversary of the 1911 had everybody and their brother making them. I guess the first question I'd ask is how much do you want to spend? They range from $400 to $1500, more if you want a really tricked out piece. My first 1911 was a Springfield Armory. That's where I'd start if I were you.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #3

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I don't know what your budget is but Sig, Colt, Springfield 1911 are great choices. You could do higher end like Les Bear but those will run you 2K for a NIB or a decent starter would be a RIA in the 400 range.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #4

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

If you're on a budget and want to get into 1911s then I suggest looking into the Ruger SR1911. They're not very expensive and they're a good entry level gun. I would buy one long before something like a Taurus, Hi Point, or Rock Island. If you can spend a little more than that I would suggest a Springfield. And if you can go even more than that I would suggest getting a Colt.

That still leaves you with a lot of options as Springfield and Colt have many different 1911s to choose from. I would just research them and see which one fits you budget and intended use the best. If you can, get to your local gun shops and check them out in person.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #5

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyDad View Post
I'm looking to buy a model 1911. I have been researching them for 2 months and the only thing that I seem to be figuring out is that the longer I research the more I get frustrated. There are so many choices I can't make up my mind as to which I should get. So I am asking for any info on which brand , type I should buy?
Go to the 1911 section of the Forum, Canebrake wrote a good article on choosing a first 1911. Read some of the posts that are out there and take some of them as Gospel.

Decide what you want the 1911 for, target, carry or HD. Rent a few different ones and see what you like or dislike about each. The biggest thing I have found so far is $$$$$. Some good budget guns out there and some junk too.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:58 AM   #6

Well there is no budget. I am competition muzzle load shooter but pistol competitions are my new passion so what I should have said is which would be platform for modification

Old 04-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3112 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

I like the Springfield Armory platform to start with.
Good specs, quality parts, with little handwork needed to get aftermarker parts to fit.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyDad View Post
Well there is no budget. I am competition muzzle load shooter but pistol competitions are my new passion so what I should have said is which would be platform for modification
i would suggest either the Colt Gold Cup or the SA Range Officer. either one should get you going in the direction you're heading in. both are excellent pistols and are pretty much ready out of the box ready for serious range sessions.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #9

Thank you I knew downloading this app would be a smart move

Old 04-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #10

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Look at them ALL, buy the one that speaks to you.

BUT, know this; it will NOT be your last 1911! It is a platform you grow into. What strikes you now as a "must-have" will change because the 1911 changes you.

There is a purpose for each size 1911. It sounds like your initial interest would be best satisfied with a FS 5" Government model.

If modification (for function not aesthetics) is your goal, build your gun like you build a house, start with the best foundation.

I would suggest starting with a Colt Series 70 and shoot the snot out of it. Get to know the true ergonomics that John Browning incorporated into his design before the word was coined.

o1970aics.jpg

o1070a1cs.jpg

After you come to realize the brilliance of this platform, begin to make small changes to get it to the level of performance you want. Sights, match barrel, trigger job with premium ignition parts.......or you could just buy a Gold Cup with all the work system-engineered into the package.

o5870nm.jpg   o5070x.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello