Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   1911's so many choices (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/1911s-so-many-choices-62610/)

JerseyDad 04-16-2012 12:49 AM

1911's so many choices

I'm looking to buy a model 1911. I have been researching them for 2 months and the only thing that I seem to be figuring out is that the longer I research the more I get frustrated. There are so many choices I can't make up my mind as to which I should get. So I am asking for any info on which brand , type I should buy?

Donn 04-16-2012 02:58 PM

I feel ya, JD. The 100th anniversary of the 1911 had everybody and their brother making them. I guess the first question I'd ask is how much do you want to spend? They range from $400 to $1500, more if you want a really tricked out piece. My first 1911 was a Springfield Armory. That's where I'd start if I were you.

silverado113 04-16-2012 03:02 PM

I don't know what your budget is but Sig, Colt, Springfield 1911 are great choices. You could do higher end like Les Bear but those will run you 2K for a NIB or a decent starter would be a RIA in the 400 range.

Polygon 04-16-2012 03:23 PM

If you're on a budget and want to get into 1911s then I suggest looking into the Ruger SR1911. They're not very expensive and they're a good entry level gun. I would buy one long before something like a Taurus, Hi Point, or Rock Island. If you can spend a little more than that I would suggest a Springfield. And if you can go even more than that I would suggest getting a Colt.

That still leaves you with a lot of options as Springfield and Colt have many different 1911s to choose from. I would just research them and see which one fits you budget and intended use the best. If you can, get to your local gun shops and check them out in person.

levelcross 04-16-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyDad (Post 772106)
I'm looking to buy a model 1911. I have been researching them for 2 months and the only thing that I seem to be figuring out is that the longer I research the more I get frustrated. There are so many choices I can't make up my mind as to which I should get. So I am asking for any info on which brand , type I should buy?

Go to the 1911 section of the Forum, Canebrake wrote a good article on choosing a first 1911. Read some of the posts that are out there and take some of them as Gospel.

Decide what you want the 1911 for, target, carry or HD. Rent a few different ones and see what you like or dislike about each. The biggest thing I have found so far is $$$$$. Some good budget guns out there and some junk too.

JerseyDad 04-17-2012 03:58 AM

Well there is no budget. I am competition muzzle load shooter but pistol competitions are my new passion so what I should have said is which would be platform for modification

danf_fl 04-17-2012 10:43 AM

I like the Springfield Armory platform to start with.
Good specs, quality parts, with little handwork needed to get aftermarker parts to fit.

Axxe55 04-17-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyDad (Post 773183)
Well there is no budget. I am competition muzzle load shooter but pistol competitions are my new passion so what I should have said is which would be platform for modification

i would suggest either the Colt Gold Cup or the SA Range Officer. either one should get you going in the direction you're heading in. both are excellent pistols and are pretty much ready out of the box ready for serious range sessions.

JerseyDad 04-17-2012 02:08 PM

Thank you I knew downloading this app would be a smart move

canebrake 04-17-2012 03:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Look at them ALL, buy the one that speaks to you.

BUT, know this; it will NOT be your last 1911! It is a platform you grow into. What strikes you now as a "must-have" will change because the 1911 changes you.

There is a purpose for each size 1911. It sounds like your initial interest would be best satisfied with a FS 5" Government model.

If modification (for function not aesthetics) is your goal, build your gun like you build a house, start with the best foundation.

I would suggest starting with a Colt Series 70 and shoot the snot out of it. Get to know the true ergonomics that John Browning incorporated into his design before the word was coined.

Attachment 43871

Attachment 43874

After you come to realize the brilliance of this platform, begin to make small changes to get it to the level of performance you want. Sights, match barrel, trigger job with premium ignition parts.......or you could just buy a Gold Cup with all the work system-engineered into the package.