1911's are ghey!!!
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

1911's are ghey!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default 1911's are ghey!!!

Alright, so now that I've gotten your attention. JD has already laughed at me so I figure the rest of you might as well and maybe you'll have a similar story of your own.

Last night I sit down with my new Kimber and decide I'm going to break it completely down so I can understand 100% how it functions. I've been working on cars/motorcycles since I was a kid, I'm mechanical minded, I make my living rebuilding machines of some sort. I need this level of understanding on all my equipment. Plus if I do have a malfunction I can trouble shoot it.

Everyone I've talked to about Kimber reminds me of that pin you need to hold the spring on the guide rod. I look in the box.....no tool. I pop the slide off, no problems, take a look at the rod....paper clip should work right? So I raid the wife's desk for a paper clip. On a side note, I got fussed at for this, shes touchy about her desk, if you're married to a teacher you know what I mean.
I compress the spring again slide my newly bent paperclip into position and attempt to remove the guide rod. The attempt continues for quite some time....after much frustration I disregard my manhood and go for the owners manual (actually my wife handed it to me but I did read it). All it says about this step is, insearch tool and remove guide rod. WTH??? Remove it how? It won't move backwards and you can't take it thru the front because the stupid paper clip is in the way. This goes on for a little while as my blood pressure increases. I grab my laptop, I'm sure this is a pretty little exploded view of the pistol that will solve my problem. If there is one, I didn't find it. Maybe there is a better write up on how to do it online somewhere. All I found was some idiot on utube that didn't know his brown eye from a hole in the ground. Then I think, what the heck is this magical tool everyone has been reminding me of? So I google it and find a lovely picture. I'm staring into the barrel of my 45(slide only, don't get excited), glancing at the picture and it hits me. I bend the paper clip over and push forward, disassembly complete. VICTORY IS MINE!!

I felt like such and idoit. Walk over to my XD and have it apart in 5 seconds. The XD is based on a 1911 right? they should come apart similarly right? WRONG! Who else here, when they got their first 1911 didn't know they come apart from the front?
If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #2

I'm assuming Pro size Kimber. I read the manual first. With a weapon, yeah, I'll RTFM first, each and every time I purchase one.

I keep paper clips and a spare tool in my case I take to the range in case I ever need it.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I was disappointed when I got my S&W 1911 that a bushing wrench was included for field striping. But after a few cleanings I find I can get it done with just a bullet.
I have to say though that the best gun I own as far as ease of breakdown is the Tupperware M&P 45.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What!! From the front!!!

Old 08-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
Liked 1439 Times on 852 Posts
Likes Given: 443

I hope for your sake JD reads the post before just banning you from the thread title.
"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson
Old 08-27-2009, 06:29 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Liked 3678 Times on 1893 Posts
Likes Given: 426

I think JD is en route to kill you for that title.
In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball
Old 08-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #7
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3491 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

LOL - I got a PM last night with the same title. I had a good chuckle over it because that is not the first time I have heard someone with that exact same problem...

You "conventional" pistol guys with your slide back, rotate and take apart guns.... What are we going to do with them Cane??

Old 08-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My first 1911 was a SA 1911 A1. I had NO clue how to disassemble it, but I found a nice "how to" video on youtube and it walked through the whole process. Also, JD was kind enough to warn me about trying to rotate the slide pin and create that rather unattractive "rookie scratch" on the trigger guard.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
Liked 28 Times on 7 Posts

The transition from tupperware to a real firearm can be quite a shock to the system. Please cut them some slack as they will learn...
Old 08-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #10
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

That was a funny story...lol.

1911's are ghey!!! - 1911 Forum