1911's, Belt Holsters, and Fat People
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911's, Belt Holsters, and Fat People

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1911's, Belt Holsters, and Fat People

I am a male, 6' 2", and currently about 280lbs. When standing, my body lines are basically straight; but when I sit down the fat rolls pooch out everywhere.

In trying to carry my 1911s in a belt holster, of any design, the hammer, beaver tail and bottom of the grip all dig into my fat roll. It is extremely uncomfortable. So, I have been using only shoulder holsters lately.

To this end, I have been thinking of getting holsters made for women, that fit their curves allowing the gun's handle to hang slightly away from their body.

Anybody have a better idea (and NO - diets are out!)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-17-2011, 02:40 AM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

To my brother in blubber, I have your dimentions almost to the tee. I have never even tried a belt holster for the reasons you so elaquently described. May I suggest a holster for the small of your back. Although a 1911 may be a little big for this application, depending on the model. Now for rest of you on this thread, you are free to go poke out your minds eye.

NEVER FORGET

Old 12-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hey bro, take a look at a galco supertuck for the small of your back.

HOTTY TODDY!!!!

Old 12-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #4

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'm also a lard butt, but since I bobbed the hammer on my revolver I have no issues with any sharp pointy things threatening to flatten my spare tire. Have you considered finding a reason to buy another gun?

Old 12-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Even better idea!!!!

HOTTY TODDY!!!!

Old 12-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #6

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Possibly a holster where the back extends up high enough to shield the pistol from your side? I also wear a tee-shirt as an undershirt, even in hot weather. Something from my days in the army & it also helps shield me fom the holster/pistol.

One issue I'd think about as far as a holster that allows the pistol to lean out away from you, is it's effect on concealment. Also, leaning outwards could also mean the muzzle putting added pressure against you. I've experienced that when using an unsuitable belt & it's not very comfortable.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #7

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

I would recommend a crossbreed supertuck. I got a bit of a belly and with the bigger sweat/body shield, when you sit down or bend over, the shield bends over as well. Very comfortable for long periods of time as well as driving. Driving to me-is how I can truely tell how comfortable my holster will be.

forumrunner_20111219_075529.jpg  

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 12-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #8

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz View Post
I would recommend a crossbreed supertuck. I got a bit of a belly and with the bigger sweat/body shield, when you sit down or bend over, the shield bends over as well. Very comfortable for long periods of time as well as driving. Driving to me-is how I can truely tell how comfortable my holster will be.
That looks as though it would hurt a lot cramming a holster inside a tight belt to keep up a pair of pants.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #9

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJak

That looks as though it would hurt a lot cramming a holster inside a tight belt to keep up a pair of pants.
As several on the forum will attest to the comfort of a crossbreed or Tommy Theis holster (since they are of the same design) they're probably the most comfortable IWB holsters on the market today for any size person.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 12-19-2011, 11:49 PM   #10

I am 6'2" and 310 lbs. I carry a S&W M&P .45 full size in a shielded holsters double phalanx. It is essentially the same configuration as a crossbreed Supertuck. I wear a 44 in waist in my jeans and can easily get the holster IWB. The most comfortable holster I've worn to date with a full size gun with the best concealment.

If you don't want an IWB holster, try a paddle holster. I use a Safariland 6378 ALS when I need to remove my gun and holster quickly.

I do find that I need to wear an undershirt in between the gun and my body as an extra layer.

Hope this helps.