1911 while camping/hiking? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

1911 while camping/hiking?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2284 Times on 1277 Posts
Likes Given: 6671

Important Topics for this Thread.
1. 1911 3" is the perfect camping/hiking arm.
2. Everything over the cascades is East Coast to me.
3. Angry Bears aren't a big problem here in Western Washington.
4. .45 ACP is just plain handy, from Moles to Rhinoceros. (not a big problem either)
MaineMan Likes This 
Old 01-24-2014, 09:24 PM   #42

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
I wouldn't trust a .45 ACP against a bear. I'd carry a .357 Mag, 10mm, or .44 Mag at the minimum.
Out of the three, 45, 357 and 10mm there is basically no difference in this application IMO and the 44mag is stepping up the power factor quite a bit.
He is not prospecting in BIG bear country, just black bears and big cats are his concern right now as far as I know

Old 01-24-2014, 09:31 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
We have no problem finding black bears in the areas I hunt, especially Hertford county. The bruins are not afraid of farm equipment. I have seen several black bears while bailing hay. A hay bailer is noisier than most attachments. The bears come out and feed on white grubs that are dug up by the rake (windmill type).
They are shy about coming close to houses unless you throw out table scraps in the woods near your home. A friend threw a bone from a pork shoulder in the woods. A black bear came and got the bone in broad daylight.

I keep my 91/30 on the tractor when bailing hay in hertford or bertie counties of NC. All the bears I have seen were not a problem. But I want something in the event I get between a sow and her cub/s.

There are Florida panthers (a dark almost black cousin of the mountain lion). I have only seen them at night in Bertie county. Florida panthers are shy and live in swampy areas that are to low for anyone to build in. All the cypress trees are protected. There is no logging in these areas either.

A side note we have endangered red wolves in NC. Sadly we have lost 10 of these magnificent creatures this hunting season. Hunters are mistaking red wolves for coyotes. The wildlife resources commision is starting a hunter education program to help hunters identify red wolves. I pray that it is a smashing success. If anyone lives in eastern NC or VA please attend the red wolf clinics when they come to your area.
around here, it seems that if you kill a black bear while hunting, your either really lucky, hunting over bait and are a really good hunter, hunting with dogs, or trapping them

Old 01-24-2014, 09:33 PM   #44

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMan View Post
Out of the three, 45, 357 and 10mm there is basically no difference in this application IMO and the 44mag is stepping up the power factor quite a bit.
He is not prospecting in BIG bear country, just black bears and big cats are his concern right now as far as I know
No difference between .357 Mag, 10mm and .45 ACP? I'd bed to differ.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
Important Topics for this Thread.
1. 1911 3" is the perfect camping/hiking arm.
2. Everything over the cascades is East Coast to me.
3. Angry Bears aren't a big problem here in Western Washington.
4. .45 ACP is just plain handy, from Moles to Rhinoceros. (not a big problem either)
I do prefer the 5" though
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 01-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #46

Quote:
how so my friend?

Old 01-24-2014, 09:38 PM   #47

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

In my area (KY) the only bears we see are black bears. They are not always very shy depending . Some are very used to heading into populated areas to look for food and when humans confront them they don't always want to leave. Maybe it's because I'm not really all that far from places like Gatlenburg Ten...I honestly don' have a definitive answer for that.
Anyway, these days it's not near as uncommon as it used to be to see a bear in the woods and it's a pretty even bet that the bear will not run away from you. The wild cats here are pretty small.
I carry a 1911 with me most days in the woods and feel just fine about it. I have not had to shoot a bear so I can't say what it might do. I've heard stories of peopel with 357's and 45's dropping a bear but I don't put a lot into most stories. I guess I"ll have to go looking for a bear to shoot to put this all to rest

I know we just have those little black bears but they are pretty damn big sized up to my gimpy self. I usually do have a 45 but a lot of that had to do with my 44 being a pretty long barreled outfit and drawing it is not going to be Marshal Dillon fast.
I think there's a reason that those in the northern most state have those short barreled 44's to help out with their big ass bears. But at least for the time beibng I will keep my puny 1911. It has done well against everything else but a bear. If I stop posting for a long time you might guess that I made a bad choice...heh

Old 01-24-2014, 09:40 PM   #48

Quote:
remember we are talking about busting a bears head open, or reaching vitals after busting through the shoulder...I'm even going to throw the 40 in there as well. sorry all you 9mm guys

Last edited by MaineMan; 01-24-2014 at 09:47 PM.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:00 PM   #49

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMan View Post
remember we are talking about busting a bears head open, or reaching vitals after busting through the shoulder...I'm even going to throw the 40 in there as well. sorry all you 9mm guys
So, you're saying you feel they have little difference when dealing with a small black bear. Not that they have little difference in general?

Old 01-24-2014, 10:23 PM   #50

Quote:
So, you're saying you feel they have little difference when dealing with a small black bear. Not that they have little difference in general?
In this context we are talking about one of our friends who would like to carry his 1911 45ACP for protection while out looking for stuff. He is worried about Black Bears and big cats. Now dealing with this kind of threat, I feel that the 45ACP, 357MAG (SIG), 10MM, and the 40 will all do the same job almost equal. I could be wrong, it almost happened once, I thought I was wrong, but then realized I was mistaken