1911 vs xdm
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 vs xdm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 05:20 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6010 Times on 3148 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Default 1911 vs xdm

Well kinda. You can also include all the poly gun models with no external safety that operate in a sa type mode.

The xdm has a grip safety no real external safety with a firing pin block.

The 1911 series 80 has a firing pin block grip safety and a true external manual safety.

What is the difference between carrying and xdm and carrying a 1911 with the manual safety off??

the xdm trigger safety is not a safety.

I dont see any fundamental difference.

Thoughts??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

texaswoodworker Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2013, 05:30 AM   #2

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I know nothing about the xdm but there is nothing that can come close to the crisp SA only 1911 trigger. Slim single stack 8 round goodness

Loyalty can't be bought at any price;
but it can be rented remarkably cheaply.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:38 AM   #3

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I don't see a fundamental difference either. Except in the fact that if my manual safety is off, I would reengage it.

I'm thinking I may not be understanding where your thought process is going with this.

Is one just as safe as the other in this given situation? Sure. I would feel confident with my safety off with my 1911 that I wouldn't have an ND, just as I would feel confident with the xdm in its stock configuration. But is the manual thumb safety redundant or obsolete? IMO, no. I like it, therefore I want it. And taking the safety off is so intuitive it's ridiculous.

I don't know that I would throw all poly guns in the group though. I can't think of another one with something like a grip safety.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:38 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Just so you know where im at pistol wise if it matters ive got three colts two are series 70 one a new agent a springfield 1911a1 and a ithaca 1911a1 ive also got two xdm one is a 4.5 the other a 3.8 compact both in 45acp

Im just wondering about thoughts on the issue. No real driving point on better or worse or obsolete nonsense just curious about folk's thought proccess on it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 08-15-2013 at 05:41 AM.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:41 AM   #5

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Just so you know where im at pistol wise if it matters ive got three colts two are series 70 one a new agent a springfield 1911a1 and a ithaca 1911a1 ive also got two xdm one is a 4.5 the other a 3.8 compact both in 45acp
So... are you just kinda thinking out loud here? "Well I carry my xd like this...so what's the difference?" Kinda thing? No difference I guess. Mechanically anyway.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

So... are you just kinda thinking out loud here? "Well I carry my xd like this...so what's the difference?" Kinda thing? No difference I guess. Mechanically anyway.
I guess mechanically no difference. But I would think the XDm would have a longer trigger pull than a 1911? I don't KNOW this, though. If its longer, then its considered "safer" to not have a thumb safety.

Same thing goes for a DA revolver.

Am I on the right track with your line of thought?

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #7

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Too early for serious thought---
I'll get back to ya

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 08-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #8

Liked 126 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 63

You are talking hardware here where it is just a few differences in what parts are installed and and how they operator. Fundamentally, any gun is as safe or dangerous as the user/operator. Any gun just laying there with no one holding is as safe as any other gun. Let someone pick it up and the whole dynamic is changed.

A well trained and practiced user/operator or human factor (software) is the real determining quality of how safely a gun can be used and handled.

This logic argument gives us gun owners a headache because taking the hardware argument to it's logical conclusion, you would end up saying "guns kill people." To emphasize the software argument, then the conclusion would be, "people kill people".

But I do understand the interest in the debate over mechanical advantages of the different designs of guns. Maybe I'm just a bit more focused on the human factors in design.

Note: I've already my cup of coffee this morning.

Last edited by qwiksdraw; 08-15-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I guess mechanically no difference. But I would think the XDm would have a longer trigger pull than a 1911? I don't KNOW this, though. If its longer, then its considered "safer" to not have a thumb safety.

Same thing goes for a DA revolver.

Am I on the right track with your line of thought?
Xdm/glock/m&p etc are pretty similar in end trigger weight as stock 1911. 1911 triggers tend to "feel" lighter because its got fewer parts between the trigger and sear so its cleaner pull but weights are in the same ballpark. Close enough that there is no distinct difference. While 1911 triggers are generally much better in feel they arent that radical gap you get from a true da/sa type trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksdraw View Post
You are talking hardware here where it is just a few differences in what parts are installed and and how they operator. Fundamentally, any gun is as safe or dangerous as the user/operator. Any gun just laying there with no one holding is as safe as any other gun. Let someone pick it up and the whole dynamic is changed.

A well trained and practiced user/operator or human factor (software) is the real determining quality of how safely a gun can be used and handled.

This logic argument gives us gun owners a headache because taking the hardware argument to it's logical conclusion, you would end up saying "guns kill people." To emphasize the software argument, then the conclusion would be, "people kill people".

But I do understand the interest in the debate over mechanical advantages of the different designs of guns. Maybe I'm just a bit more focused on the human factors in design.

Note: I've already my cup of coffee this morning.
Yeah im pretty much tossing the human factor and just focusing on the mechanics

Old 08-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #10

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

Xdm/glock/m&p etc are pretty similar in end trigger weight as stock 1911. 1911 triggers tend to "feel" lighter because its got fewer parts between the trigger and sear so its cleaner pull but weights are in the same ballpark. Close enough that there is no distinct difference. While 1911 triggers are generally much better in feel they arent that radical gap you get from a true da/sa type trigger
Wifes XDM has about a 5lb pull with close to half inch of travel, after the trigger bar is in. My Glocks have 2 3/4 lb pull, but still quite abit of travel. 2 of my 1911s have a 2 lb pull, same as zero travel, and no trigger bar to deal with. The grip safety on the 1911s doesnt seem to move as far as the XDM either. So at least for me, I'm gonna continue to utilize the thumb safety, even though none of them should fire without the trigger pulled.