1911 vs Glock - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 vs Glock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Sorry, but this whole idea of "versus" is just crap. Through trial & error we each find the platform(s) and caliber(s) we like and shoot well. There is no "best" gun as each of us are different. I've tried to like Glocks for 2 reasons - they are cheap and they are reliable. I've owned a 17, 19, 21, 23, & 26 and I don't shoot them for spit. Had I started on a Glock, maybe it would be different.

Find what works for you, be it a Glock, 1911, Sig, or even HiPoint...

Old 04-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wish I could find the pistol and rifle issued to my great grandfather during WW2. Unfortunaely no one in the family knows what happened to them, I think he may have even turned them back in when he came out of service. I'd pay gobs of money if I could actually get a hold of the actual pistol he used.
I'd actually like to see a pic of the 1911 you're talking about Saviorslegacy.

As for the "versus" thing of this tread, I dont think anyone here really cares to fight about it, because we all know its a thing of choice not objective fact.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:39 AM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry for my many... grammatical errors in the previous post, I was in a hurry and was typing to fast.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 04-25-2010, 05:23 AM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post

Sorry for my many... grammatical errors in the previous post, I was in a hurry and was typing to fast.
You ought to be proud of that piece of history. Do a little research on the orignial 1911 and you'll see that you have a very valuable piece of history, even after its been re-parkerized, though that does decrease its "nominal" value in most cases. Its hard to find an actual WW2 1911 like that for less than a grand thats in good working condition, or at least where I live.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #25
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3101 Times on 1781 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Yeah, but capacity is limited with the 1911. Not only that, but you have to flick down the safety to use it and that takes precious time. Yeah...they don't even feed hollowpoints reliably! That's agreat thing when you need it! NGIB doesn't even carry his 1911 because of that!
So anyway, 1911's are super heavy too and an outdated design!

Glocks are Bad-A!, super reliable, high capacity, and would work underwater, in mud, in ice, in a whales stomach, on the sun, anywhere!!!!
-Capacity may be limited, but I do not believe is "spray and pray", If I need more than 8 rounds, I'm in the wrong place for a handgun.
-With practice, anyone can draw and shoot a 1911 just as fast (if not faster), and the safety is a non-issue.
-I never have a problem feeding hollowpoints with my 1911's.
-A heavy firearm will absorb felt recoil better.
-For something to be out dated, it does not have any use today (like the engine crank on Model T's). The 1911 does not fit that category.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-25-2010, 02:31 PM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Did you read the whole thread? No. Did my sarcasm go below your knees? Yes.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:01 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
You ought to be proud of that piece of history. Do a little research on the orignial 1911 and you'll see that you have a very valuable piece of history, even after its been re-parkerized, though that does decrease its "nominal" value in most cases. Its hard to find an actual WW2 1911 like that for less than a grand thats in good working condition, or at least where I live.
Even though blueing was the original, I think that the re-parkerized finish looks better. It is more of a silvery grey than a deep black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
-With practice, anyone can draw and shoot a 1911 just as fast (if not faster)

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 04-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Kind of funny. I own alot of Glocks and 1911's. The greatest pistol platforms ever made.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post
"This is my rifle, this is my gun, this is for fighting, this is for fun." I first heard that quote in USMC boot camp at MCRD, 1968.

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD

Old 04-27-2010, 01:52 AM   #30

Default My vote goes to---------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
Kind of funny. I own alot of Glocks and 1911's. The greatest pistol platforms ever made.
AMEN

I shoot my 1911's in competition, love'm, wouldn't leave home with out one!! (well except I keep a Glock 34 in my Truck)..........did someone say WHY?

-------------- Reliability and its holds a 17 round Magazine of HP +Ps!

The first Glock I ever saw was being thrown like a horseshoe, hundreds of times, then the dirt shaken out of it a magazine inserted and then the Model 17 was fired into a berm wide open!!! Then cleared and shooters at this Georgia USPSA State Match started throwing this ugly thing over and over again........At the end of the day GLOCK Personel gave away the Glock Bayonet to the person who landed the Glock 17 the closes to the pin,
(Bayonet) that day... Year was 1987

Well it got a lot of 1911 shooters attention, including me!......Thanks, W.T.

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants" - Thomas Jefferson