Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 troubles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 1911 troubles

I just recently purchased a Sig C3 which is my first 1911. The dang thing won't feed hollow points and I'm very disappointed. That was always my fear with the 1911 and why, in 30+ years of shooting, I have been reluctant to purchase one. The gun is flawless with fmj but will only fire 2-3 hp rounds before an ftf occurs. Additionally, the pistol won't feed a round when the slide is released from the locked open position when loaded with hp rounds. Very troubling for what was nearly a $1000 gun.

Just thought you might want to know in the event you were considering one. Hope everyone has better luck than I have had.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Bring it to a gunsmith and have him work over the feed ramp. I wouldn't recommend you try doing it yourself.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #3

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Bring it to a gunsmith and have him work over the feed ramp. I wouldn't recommend you try doing it yourself.
Agree-----+1,000 on NOT touching it yourself
I'd also have a firm understanding with your smith of choice when it comes to altering a feedramp

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 06-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #4

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighosscat View Post
I just recently purchased a Sig C3 which is my first 1911. The dang thing won't feed hollow points and I'm very disappointed. That was always my fear with the 1911 and why, in 30+ years of shooting, I have been reluctant to purchase one. The gun is flawless with fmj but will only fire 2-3 hp rounds before an ftf occurs. Additionally, the pistol won't feed a round when the slide is released from the locked open position when loaded with hp rounds. Very troubling for what was nearly a $1000 gun.

Just thought you might want to know in the event you were considering one. Hope everyone has better luck than I have had.
How many rounds have you put downrange?

Break-in is a criminal activity or Noob mis-speak.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #5

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You should try a different bullet design. I have an RCS (C3 dehorned with night sights) and it will feed Winchester PDX1 bullets just like they were round nose. Some 1911's can be finicky about wide open hollow points as the front edge of the hollow point catches on the rim of the barrel throat. The PDX1 has a much more rounded profile which is why I chose that design for the RCS. The Hornady ammunition with the XTP bullet is about the same profile.

If you want it to "feed anything" - then either send it back to SIG with a box of bullets you want it to feed and they will rework the barrel and feed ramp, or as suggested, take it to a local smith who knows 1911's.

My suggestion? If you're wanting it as a carry gun, try several different bullet designs, find the one that works and use that ammunition. First in my book would be the PDX1 or the Hornady XTP as I've never had a problem with them feeding in 8 different 1911's. If you're loading your own ammunition, then I'd use the Hornady XTP bullet.

As a side note - when I got my RCS the first thing I did on day one was lube it up, take it to the range, and put 300 230gr, FMJ rounds through it. 1911's really do like to be "exercised" a bit when brand new. There are parts that need to seat and mate with each other even on $5000 guns - and the only way that happens is by shooting a well lubricated gun.

I usually take at least 4 magazines, load all of them shoot all them reload, repeat, etc. Getting the gun hot and running it a bit on the wet side is the best thing you can do for a 1911. I now have close to 750 rounds through my RCS in two weeks, and it is running like every other 1911 I have - flawlessly.

Last time I took it out was with 100 PDX1 bullets for proof of operation with my carry load - run 4 mags, reload repeat, rapid fire, double taps, etc. In about 1/2 hour I'd put all 100 through the gun with no malfunctions.

If you haven't shot the gun to 300-500 FMJ rounds, do that first before feeding it hollow points - then be selective about what you're using.

Last edited by buckhorn_cortez; 06-08-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've put 250 rounds downrange. 150 fmj (2 types of Federal, Remington, all 230 gr) and 100 JHP (230 Hydra-Shok, 185 Aguila). I'm using 2 factory mags, 2 Wilsons, and 2 McCormicks. No issues with the mags and the failures aren't specific to any of them. I don't reload and prefer to shoot only factory loads.

Rounds were fired over the last week at two different range sessions. I cleaned/lubed before firing the first round and cleaned in between the sessions. I'll clean again today before the next session.

I just picked up 100 WWB fmj and I'll run that thru her with 200 more Federal and Remmy fmj. Then I'll push some various other HPs thru the target. I've got some PDX1, XTP, Gold Dots, Ranger so maybe the old girl will digest some of those. If not, she's going back to Sig.

I realize that 1911s can be finicky but I've got $400 guns that will feed creek gravel if you can get them in the mag. I would like to use it as a carry piece but she needs to run much better than she is.

I might add that, except for the failures, it is the sweetest shooting pistol I've ever fired. It may be the most accurate as well. I may just have to use it for range/target work only.

I own other Sigs and expected better. Anyone can make a lemon but it just seems there are a lot of them out there.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #7

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

The 1911 guru at my LGS told me he'd had good luck with Gold Dots in picky 1911s when nothing else would feed.

I like to run the Remington UMC JHPs as part of break-in. I don't know that they are a good SD round, but the 100 round value pack at wally world is not much more expensive than (2) 50 round boxes FMJ. Also, they have fed well in every 1911 I've tried them in, once I had 200, or so, FMJ through them. Once I know they feed okay, then I'll give my SD ammo a chance.

Last edited by gollygee; 06-08-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/break-criminal-activity-noob-mis-speak-57750/

When having problems with a new 1911, take Cane's advice in the above link. Best and clearest advice I've seen on new 1911's.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #9

Liked 4573 Times on 2212 Posts
Likes Given: 1381

If your not into having it tinkered with I'd suggest you buy a box of Power Ball deffensive ammo. The HP cavity is filled with a polymer ball that actually seems to help expansion because it prevents the cavity from filling with clothing fibers.

I've not tried them yet myself but they appear to be the same length as a typical FMJ and thus should eliminate your problem of rounds nosediving into the feed ramp.

Good Luck

Tack

Old 06-10-2012, 12:42 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebiker View Post
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/break-criminal-activity-noob-mis-speak-57750/

When having problems with a new 1911, take Cane's advice in the above link. Best and clearest advice I've seen on new 1911's.
+1. don't get crazy untill you've put 500 downrange. they need to "wear-in". if she misbehaves after that, it may be cause for concern.