1911 suggestions

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1911 suggestions

hello all.i recently got a 1911 mill spec,by springfeild.i've put 200 rounds through it now and love it.Thinking adout adding some grips,new sights,and beaver tail grip safety.Any tips or suggestions on brands?Good bad or ugly.Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3104 Times on 1784 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

IMO, Ed Brown or EGW parts. They look good and function great.

(If you remember to keep your upgrades simple, do regular maintenance, change springs on a regular basis, your firearm will outlast you.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-17-2011, 10:24 PM   #3

Thank you sir.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:21 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Please don't take this the wrong way. My suggestion is to not make any changes at this time. Shoot the heck out of it for a while. Try and get around 1,000 rounds or more down the pipe. Then you'll really know the pistol and have a feel for it and what it will do.

While you're at it, try and shoot as many different 1911's as you can get your hands on. Then make the changes based on your own experience. I think you'll be happier with the results.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-18-2011, 06:09 AM   #5

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Tritium night sights if you intend to carry.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 04-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #6

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911newbee View Post
hello all.i recently got a 1911 mill spec,by springfeild.i've put 200 rounds through it now and love it.Thinking adout adding some grips,new sights,and beaver tail grip safety.Any tips or suggestions on brands?Good bad or ugly.Thanks.
What are you using the gun for? Range, carry, combination, competitive shooting (what kind). Tough to come up with a "generic" set of mods without knowing the purpose of the gun.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way. My suggestion is to not make any changes at this time. Shoot the heck out of it for a while. Try and get around 1,000 rounds or more down the pipe. Then you'll really know the pistol and have a feel for it and what it will do.

While you're at it, try and shoot as many different 1911's as you can get your hands on. Then make the changes based on your own experience. I think you'll be happier with the results.
+1 on the shoot the heck out of it and as many others as you can before you start making changes. Changes for the sake of changes sometimes turn a good gun into a piece of crap.
ROMANS 12:21 - Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.!
US ARMY - '56 to '65 - SFC
Happiness Is Having Been An Airborne Ranger And Still Being Alive To Brag About It!
SUA SPONTE

Old 04-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
IMO, Ed Brown or EGW parts. They look good and function great.

(If you remember to keep your upgrades simple, do regular maintenance, change springs on a regular basis, your firearm will outlast you.)
If your going to modify these are the parts to use along with some Tripp's mags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post

I also agree with not changing anything just yet; still very early in the game.

Quote:
As for new grips, way to personal a thing to ask advise on, but I love my C&S Dymonwood Grips:

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 04-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #9

that makes perfect sense.thank you sir.steven

Old 04-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #10

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Lots of quality add on parts out there to choose from but some general parts to consider as your first upgrades:

Arched MSH, this is a personal preference based on feel, but for many, it is desireable, and the US Army found it tends to help shooters who typically shoot low with a 1911 by force adjusting their grip.

mag-well, can be helpful in quick mag change situations. can also be a one piece unit as part of the MSH

Memory bump grip safety - some like them, some don't - helps you maintain consistent grip by having a tactile location on your hand via the bump.

Sight choice - what do you need? I picked tactical low profile night sights as my first upgrade, but found that as my primary usage was indoor range, the night sights were too hard to see, so I changed them again for hi-vis white dots which for me, made more sense. Determine your usage prior to picking them out.

Grips - some look cool but feel crappy - there are also things like finger grip add ons that will work with any normal grip. Regardless, make sure you know if you like 'sticky' rubber grips or slick, or smooth hard grips, and if you get a magwell extension, you will need un-beveled grips to match

Ambi-safety - good if you need to shoot as a lefty ......

Trigger - there are many options here for type and pull, find out the benefits of them all before modifying.

Many other potential upgrades out there that can be done by you with a few simple tools - but as the others have said, shoot it enough to make an educated choice on which upgrade apply to you.