1911 stripping and rebuilding but...

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 stripping and rebuilding but...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 02:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1911 stripping and rebuilding but...

Hey guys, I just field stripped an SA 1911. After I oiled up and put it together, the problem is that when I put a pen inside the barrel and shoot it. It's NOT shooting out! What could be this problem!? Help...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-25-2011, 03:52 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Its not centered on the firing pin. Bad habit to be in.

Buddy of mine in the army and i were on gate duty on the loneliest gate in the hawaiiain command. MPs when they get bored get stupid. I was no exception. We took to shooting pencils across the gate shack at styrofoam cups with the m9. Sergeant drives up to relieve us for a restroom break. He sees what we are doing chews us out. We start walkimg over to the restroom two blocks away. We get about half way there and there is this "BOOOM" from the gate.

We rush back and there is the sergeant with his m9 out shredded pencil everywhere and a hole in the roof...

Betterway to check take the slide off, if it has a firing pin safety press the plungerunder the frame and press the firing pin flush with frame. If it sticks out of the slide face its good to go.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-25-2011 at 03:56 AM.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:16 AM   #3

I only did that to check I it's good to go, I saw the armory channel doing it to check if it's all good. Does this mean my gun is not correctly positioned together if it's not firing out? Or.. Are u saying it's a bad habit to push pens in to shoot it? Thanks!

Old 07-25-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2871 Times on 1658 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

When you push on the firing pin, do you see it coming out of the firing pin hole? Did you replace the original firing pin in your rebuild? IIRC, SA uses a smaller diameter pin than normal for their .45's.

I agree with JonM to a point that using a pen is a bad habit for the most part. I have and use a pencil with a good eraser for diagnostics of a problem only.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #5

Thanks guys, turns out he's right, the pen was too thin so it wasn't centered onto the firing pin. I put in a bigger pen cap the size of a 45 and it shot right out. All parts are original. I finally got my Springfield 1911 loaded perkerized finish!!! Will pic soon!