1911 Steel vs. Alloy Frame Commander - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

1911 Steel vs. Alloy Frame Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 649 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
I was on Para's website last night, and I realized that they Do make 2 of their models in 9mm,..18 rounds in a double stack 1911,...(figuring how many double & single action revolvers he'd have to getfor the wife for him to get 3 1911's in 9mm(officers, commander, and Full size)!!
I really haven't been on the Para web site,I am aware they have several 1911 pistol models chambered in 9mm.

Not following you on this statement?
Quote:
figuring how many double & single action revolvers he'd have to getfor the wife for him to get 3 1911's in 9mm(officers, commander, and Full size)!!

Old 09-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3730 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter
Not following you on this statement?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball
(figuring how many double & single action revolvers he'd have to getfor the wife for him to get 3 1911's in 9mm(officers, commander, and Full size)!!
I think what he meant was he wants a 9mm 1911 in each size, but he would have to get his wife on board with doing that. Sounds like the bargaining chip is buying her some wheel guns. He's wondering how many would appease her? :P
Old 09-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I think what he meant was he wants a 9mm 1911 in each size, but he would have to get his wife on board with doing that. Sounds like the bargaining chip is buying her some wheel guns. He's wondering how many would appease her? :P
Thanks JW

If he(Dr) wants a 1911 in each size? I like the way he thinks ....I wish I could use revolvers as bargaining chips with my wife,that way I could barrow them every once in awhile

I guess I hadn't had enough caffeine before reading this morning?
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-17-2013, 04:32 AM   #44
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3383 Times on 2289 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter

Thanks JW

If he(Dr) wants a 1911 in each size? I like the way he thinks ....I wish I could use revolvers as bargaining chips with my wife,that way I could barrow them every once in awhile

I guess I hadn't had enough caffeine before reading this morning?
No worries,..sorry you didn't follow along......

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 09-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #45

Quote:
No worries,..sorry you didn't follow along......
Thanks Dr,I guess I just wasn't awake or enough caffeine to follow along ...I like the way you think,way to barter there Doc

Old 09-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2302 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 1240

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter View Post
Jim thanks for the input,
I decided on the steel frame this time and hoping to shoot it a lot and maybe some local friendly competition in the future. Down the road I may look into a LW,but for now the steel frame sure feels good

Thanks again
One of the mods I did (in the old days) was to replace the grip safety with one off the goverment model (but I had to take a round file and and file it so the commander hammer would work) because if I shot it a lot (and I did) the short grip safety would eat a hole in the web of my hand and I would BLEED on the gun. Today you can probably just get an aftermarket beavertail grip safety which would do even a better job.
ENJOY
MOshooter Likes This 
Old 09-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
One of the mods I did (in the old days) was to replace the grip safety with one off the goverment model (but I had to take a round file and and file it so the commander hammer would work) because if I shot it a lot (and I did) the short grip safety would eat a hole in the web of my hand and I would BLEED on the gun. Today you can probably just get an aftermarket beavertail grip safety which would do even a better job.
ENJOY
Thanks for the tip Jim,
I'm shooting the 45 acp cartridge fairly economically,so I hope to do a lot of shooting with this pistol .

I cast,so really if I can save most of my bullet lead,i'm just out a little powder and a primer. I'm looking into building a steel bullet trap to mount behind my targets out here on the farm.

Thanks again
JW357 Likes This 
Old 10-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #48

Default Steel Frames

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter View Post
I'm in the market for a 1911 Colt Commander and this steel vs. alloy frame really has me on the fence as which route to go? I really like the 1911 Colt Commander LW XSE,the Willey Clapp Colt 1911 Edition,and of course a all stainless Commander. But how will the Alloy frames hold up compared to a steei frame?

What are your thoughts and experiences with steel frame vs. alloy?

The pistol will be shot frequently informal shooting,no competition yet? And will be carried from time to time as a CCW.
I recently have an experience with a Kimber Raptor II 45 ACP. While shooting I had a round rupture in the chamber on the unsupported section between the barrel and slide. That in turn locking the barrel to the slide and caused the top round in a 7 round magazine to fire (while still in the magazine). Damaged the barrel, slide stop, plunger tube blew out, and absolutely destroyed the wood grips while in my hand. Kimber rep said I was very lucky. I was wearing shooting glasses and shrapnel damage the poly in the left eye lens. With any other frame other than "steel" I would have had sever hand damage. I WILL NEVER EVER SHOOT A 1911 (OR OTHER AUTO TYPE) PISTOL OTHER THAN STEEL. For that reason along plastic or alloy frame or slide are not in my future. Ever. I would have included picture by this form will not take larger than 650. You can go to this link on the 1911.com form to see the pics and discussions: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=430534

So travel at your own risk cause you get what you ask for.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqualls View Post
I recently have an experience with a Kimber Raptor II 45 ACP. While shooting I had a round rupture in the chamber on the unsupported section between the barrel and slide. That in turn locking the barrel to the slide and caused the top round in a 7 round magazine to fire (while still in the magazine). Damaged the barrel, slide stop, plunger tube blew out, and absolutely destroyed the wood grips while in my hand. Kimber rep said I was very lucky. I was wearing shooting glasses and shrapnel damage the poly in the left eye lens. With any other frame other than "steel" I would have had sever hand damage. I WILL NEVER EVER SHOOT A 1911 (OR OTHER AUTO TYPE) PISTOL OTHER THAN STEEL. For that reason along plastic or alloy frame or slide are not in my future. Ever. I would have included picture by this form will not take larger than 650. You can go to this link on the 1911.com form to see the pics and discussions: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=430534

So travel at your own risk cause you get what you ask for.
Wow!! Glad you're OK!!
Thanks for sharing your experience here.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #50

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Steel frame for very heavy usage. Alloy frame for carry and general usage. Kimber Pro Carry. Have carried and used one for 15 years with above average use and it has yet to malfunction. Couple of thousand rounds per year. Had one of the first Colt Combat Commanders. Got rid of it. Too heavy, poorly balanced.