1911 Steel vs. Alloy Frame Commander - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 Steel vs. Alloy Frame Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1964 Times on 1161 Posts
Likes Given: 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter View Post
I'm in the market for a 1911 Colt Commander and this steel vs. alloy frame really has me on the fence as which route to go? I really like the 1911 Colt Commander LW XSE,the Willey Clapp Colt 1911 Edition,and of course a all stainless Commander. But how will the Alloy frames hold up compared to a steei frame?

What are your thoughts and experiences with steel frame vs. alloy?

The pistol will be shot frequently informal shooting,no competition yet? And will be carried from time to time as a CCW.
I have owned both and liked them both. BUT if you are going to carry it A LOT get the LW, but if you are going to shot it A LOT get the Combat commander!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

MOshooter Likes This 
Old 09-10-2013, 12:35 AM   #32

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
Colts are fine pistols. you will have many years of enjoyment out of that 1911! you made a good choice and now i'm jealous!
Thanks Axxe I did a ton of research to the point it was a relief to finally make a purchase lol I hope to have lots of years of shooting and enjoyment from the 1911.
I just wish 20 years ago I would've made the right choice and purchase of a standard single stack 1911,don't get me wrong the p14-45 is a nice pistol,it's just not nearly concealable as a standard single stack 1911.
It sure feels like I made the right choice this time with a single stack 1911

Thanks again
Old 09-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
I have owned both and liked them both. BUT if you are going to carry it A LOT get the LW, but if you are going to shot it A LOT get the Combat commander!
Jim thanks for the input,
I decided on the steel frame this time and hoping to shoot it a lot and maybe some local friendly competition in the future. Down the road I may look into a LW,but for now the steel frame sure feels good

Thanks again

Old 09-10-2013, 12:44 AM   #34
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5658 Times on 2955 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter View Post
Thanks Axxe I did a ton of research to the point it was a relief to finally make a purchase lol I hope to have lots of years of shooting and enjoyment from the 1911.
I just wish 20 years ago I would've made the right choice and purchase of a standard single stack 1911,don't get me wrong the p14-45 is a nice pistol,it's just not nearly concealable as a standard single stack 1911.
It sure feels like I made the right choice this time with a single stack 1911

Thanks again
right now the only 1911's ill get is colt and springfield. you made a fantastic choice

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

MOshooter Likes This 
Old 09-10-2013, 12:53 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
right now the only 1911's ill get is colt and springfield. you made a fantastic choice
Jon,
I agree the colts and springfields are producing some awesome pistols right now.

Thank you I did a ton of research before pulling the trigger,I really like the way the pistol feels in the hand and the natural point ability of the 1911s

Thanks again

Edit: I did end up with a newer colt throated barrel design,thanks again for all the great information on the barrels.

Last edited by MOshooter; 09-10-2013 at 12:57 AM.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:52 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
What a beautiful Colt. Congrats on the purchase. A range report?
I finally wrote a short range report and posted in Range Report..Sorry for the delay,i've been slinging brass

Old 09-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #37
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3160 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter

I finally wrote a short range report and posted in Range Report..Sorry for the delay,i've been slinging brass
Good for you man! I'm going to go find your post and read!

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
MOshooter Likes This 
Old 09-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #38

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I have a Para Ord LTC that has an alloy frame that has untold rounds though it.....
...But it's a lot. Other than holster wear it;s as good now as it was new.
I've had them with both steel and the alloy and really don't have a beef with either. I don't get the weight is too much with steel and I've not had any durability issues with alloy.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Good for you man! I'm going to go find your post and read!
Thanks Dr.
The range report is a very short post about the pistol and how it preformed,which was very positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
I have a Para Ord LTC that has an alloy frame that has untold rounds though it.....
...But it's a lot. Other than holster wear it;s as good now as it was new.
I've had them with both steel and the alloy and really don't have a beef with either. I don't get the weight is too much with steel and I've not had any durability issues with alloy.
I have a Para P14-45 that i've owned for 19 years now which is also a alloy frame,i've haven't shot gobs of ammo through the pistol,but the alloy frame looks as good as the day I purchased it.
My decision to go steel this time was swayed by a few factors. I wanted something that I wouldn't have a worry in the back of my mind shooting large amounts of +p ammo. I read several reports Colt was having some problems with their Teflon finish on some of their the alloy frames,the finish was peeling and chipping on some alloy frames. Colt is now cerakoting the alloy frames,so I thought I would wait on a alloy colt frame to see how the newer finish holds up?

I really haven't noticed much recoil difference between the alloy and steel frames. As far as the steel frame weighing too much for carry? I'm sure the few ounces makes a difference to some people,while others aren't affected by a few more ounces of weight to carry? I'm glad we have a choice

Thanks for posting your input on this subject.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #40
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3160 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter

Thanks Dr.
The range report is a very short post about the pistol and how it preformed,which was very positive.

I have a Para P14-45 that i've owned for 19 years now which is also a alloy frame,i've haven't shot gobs of ammo through the pistol,but the alloy frame looks as good as the day I purchased it.
My decision to go steel this time was swayed by a few factors. I wanted something that I wouldn't have a worry in the back of my mind shooting large amounts of +p ammo. I read several reports Colt was having some problems with their Teflon finish on some of their the alloy frames,the finish was peeling and chipping on some alloy frames. Colt is now cerakoting the alloy frames,so I thought I would wait on a alloy colt frame to see how the newer finish holds up?

I really haven't noticed much recoil difference between the alloy and steel frames. As far as the steel frame weighing too much for carry? I'm sure the few ounces makes a difference to some people,while others aren't affected by a few more ounces of weight to carry? I'm glad we have a choice

Thanks for posting your input on this subject.
I was on Para's website last night, and I realized that they Do make 2 of their models in 9mm,..18 rounds in a double stack 1911,...(figuring how many double & single action revolvers he'd have to getfor the wife for him to get 3 1911's in 9mm(officers, commander, and Full size)!!

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
People Like This