1911 Steel vs. Alloy Frame Commander - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 Steel vs. Alloy Frame Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5994 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter View Post
Jon the Colt Combat Commander xse I purchased is the newer model,as far as colts new throating with the dimple? Not sure?
This is new information to me,not sure about the pros and cons on colts new throating. From what little I read it's supposed to help feed aggressively designed JHPs. better?
That is kinda understating what colt did. These xse and new throated style barrels in other models will feed empty cases. Found that out a while back when i couldnt force a malfunction in my new series 70.

Normaly i put a empty case somewhere in the mag to force a misfeed for practice purposes. These new colts just chamber the empties like they are live rounds...

I havent been able to get my new agent or new model series 70 to ftf or fte best i can do is simulate a dud.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #22

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I have dumped 1,000s of hot combat loads through an alloy Colt Commander. They LW Colts have never failed. I do however prefer the feel and balance of the steel framed Colts. The difference in weight for a carry gun is not that significant any way.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #23

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
That is kinda understating what colt did. These xse and new throated style barrels in other models will feed empty cases. Found that out a while back when i couldnt force a malfunction in my new series 70.

Normaly i put a empty case somewhere in the mag to force a misfeed for practice purposes. These new colts just chamber the empties like they are live rounds...

I havent been able to get my new agent or new model series 70 to ftf or fte best i can do is simulate a dud.

Jon the new Colt barrel design is new information for me,before I commented I had only read a tid bit off the net in research,i'm sure there's a lot more to the new Colt barrel than what little i've read and learned.

That's very impressive to be able to run empty cases through your new model series 70 Colt,my question.
Do the new series 70 and new Agent all come with the newer throated barrels?

Old 08-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5994 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Quote:
Jon the new Colt barrel design is new information for me,before I commented I had only read a tid bit off the net in research,i'm sure there's a lot more to the new Colt barrel than what little i've read and learned.

That's very impressive to be able to run empty cases through your new model series 70 Colt,my question.
Do the new series 70 and new Agent all come with the newer throated barrels?
all new production colt 1911's have the new throats. not sure when they started making them but they are very easy to spot.

the one on the right is the new colt throating the middle one is a typical throat job that doesnt always run everything and the left hand is a stock barrel most 1911 from most makers ship with. the typical throat job you get when you send a barrel off to be throated can leave the case unsupported much like a glock barrel and kabooms in 1911's are often caused by such throat jobs. colt's process eliminates the problem of over throating while increasing the reliability beyound what the best throat job folks can do.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 08-31-2013 at 04:39 PM.
People Like This 
Old 08-31-2013, 05:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
all new production colt 1911's have the new throats. not sure when they started making them but they are very easy to spot.

the one on the right is the new colt throating the middle one is a typical throat job that doesnt always run everything and the left hand is a stock barrel most 1911 from most makers ship with. the typical throat job you get when you send a barrel off to be throated can leave the case unsupported much like a glock barrel and kabooms in 1911's are often caused by such throat jobs. colt's process eliminates the problem of over throating while increasing the reliability beyound what the best throat job folks can do.
Jon,

Thanks for all the information and photos of the difference in the new throated barrels compared to the older style factory barrel.

Before bidding on the combat commander I asked the dealer if it was the current new model xse,and I was told it was the current model offered by Colt. So i'm hoping that I do get the new colt throated barrel.

Thanks again for all the great information.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #26

Default Colt 1911 Combat Commander xse

Posting a few pics. of the Colt combat commander xse after owning and shooting the pistol for nearly a week...I really like the balance and feel shooting the combat commander!

img_1738.jpg

img_1739.jpg

img_1740.jpg

Old 09-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #27
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

congrats on the new Colt! good looking pistol!

Old 09-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #28

Liked 956 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 730

What a beautiful Colt. Congrats on the purchase. A range report?

USMC 74-78

MOshooter Likes This 
Old 09-10-2013, 12:54 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
congrats on the new Colt! good looking pistol!
Thank you Axxe,
I can finally scratched one off the bucket list.

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
What a beautiful Colt. Congrats on the purchase. A range report?
Thank you limbkiller,
I'm still pinching myself to make sure i'm not dreaming? I haven't bought a handgun in quite a few years,so i'm trying to catch up

Hopefully I can write up a range report this evening of my first two outings with the pistol,I now have over 200 rounds without a hiccup.

Thanks again
Old 09-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #30
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Thank you Axxe,
I can finally scratched one off the bucket list.

Thanks again

Thank you limbkiller,
I'm still pinching myself to make sure i'm not dreaming? I haven't bought a handgun in quite a few years,so i'm trying to catch up

Hopefully I can write up a range report this evening of my first two outings with the pistol,I now have over 200 rounds without a hiccup.

Thanks again
Colts are fine pistols. you will have many years of enjoyment out of that 1911! you made a good choice and now i'm jealous!