Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   1911 sight fillers???!!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/1911-sight-fillers-67330/)

bullittsam159 06-29-2012 09:34 PM

1911 sight fillers???!!!

I'm putting a frame mounted red dot onto my 1911 and i want to use my current slide as i've had some work done to it. "lightening and frame to slide fitting" I have to remove the sights to mount the red dot but i don't want to have the sight cuts showing. Is there some kind of plug or filler that i can put into the sight cuts so that the slide looks like it never had any sight cuts to begin with or so it at least looks somewhat flush? Sorry if that didn't make sense.

hiwall 06-29-2012 09:45 PM

You can make your own slot fillers with a chunk of metal and a file in just a few minutes.

Olympus 06-29-2012 10:22 PM

Some epoxy or JB Weld would work.

cuba 06-30-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullittsam159 (Post 853618)
I'm putting a frame mounted red dot onto my 1911 and i want to use my current slide as i've had some work done to it. "lightening and frame to slide fitting" I have to remove the sights to mount the red dot but i don't want to have the sight cuts showing. Is there some kind of plug or filler that i can put into the sight cuts so that the slide looks like it never had any sight cuts to begin with or so it at least looks somewhat flush? Sorry if that didn't make sense.

They make a contraption to facilitate the racking back of the slide with an optic installed thats called something like (slide charger) that will fill the space.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6821/sku=375101100/Product/S-S-Slide-Racker?source=CJ

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

canebrake 06-30-2012 01:51 AM

You spent cash-bucks for slide lightening and now you want to add weight for looks? :confused:

Man, vanity's a b1tch! :rolleyes:

bullittsam159 06-30-2012 06:15 AM

The slide lightening was mostly for looks anyways. Lol. I don't shoot competition it's all for fun and looks.

bullittsam159 06-30-2012 06:19 AM

I actually want to add more weight back to the slide while keeping the lightened look just because of the added felt recoil from lightening. The action is already plenty fast. I think it's going to come down to having some fillers made forms stainless and that way theyll be removable. That slide racker is a good idea I just have never been a fan of those. Thanks for the suggestion.

cuba 06-30-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullittsam159 (Post 854026)
I actually want to add more weight back to the slide while keeping the lightened look just because of the added felt recoil from lightening. The action is already plenty fast. I think it's going to come down to having some fillers made forms stainless and that way they'll be removable. That slide racker is a good idea I just have never been a fan of those. Thanks for the suggestion.

You can cut the handle and contour fit the dove tail piece (wallah)

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

canebrake 06-30-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullittsam159 (Post 854026)
I actually want to add more weight back to the slide while keeping the lightened look just because of the added felt recoil from lightening. The action is already plenty fast. I think it's going to come down to having some fillers made forms stainless and that way theyll be removable. That slide racker is a good idea I just have never been a fan of those. Thanks for the suggestion.

EGW has a slide racker that functions similar (two finger pull) to the charging handle on the AR. It would fill up the slot and be functional as well.

EGW - Slide Racker

canebrake 06-30-2012 11:29 AM

Or you could try these;

Brownells - Decorative Slot Blank

Brownells - Marble's Slot Blank

Brownells - Slot Blank

Brownells - Aluminum Slot Blank