1911? Reliable?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911? Reliable?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Hey y'all, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.
I own a few pistols but looking into getting my first 1911.
First and foremost I want something extremely reliable...

I've heard that to get a 1911 that is EXTREMELY reliable, you may spend upwards of $2500. Is this true or is it just gun myth?

I want something that is EXTREMELY reliable but won't break the bank. I wouldn't be willing to spend more than $1200.
Is it possible to get something extremely reliable for this price?
I'm sure $1200 will get me a great 1911, but would it match up to the reliability of other pistols like Glock, etc?

No, I'm not a Glock fan boy. Just giving you an idea of the reliability I'm after.

Last edited by DickTheNickhead; 04-23-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #2

Liked 272 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 193

You can get extremely reliable 1911's for well under $2500. Sig Sauer, Kimber, Colt, Smith & Wesson, are all very good and reliable and well under the $2500 mark.

”The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
~James Earl Jones

Old 04-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyno13
You can get extremely reliable 1911's for well under $2500. Sig Sauer, Kimber, Colt, Smith & Wesson, are all very good and reliable and well under the $2500 mark.
I just don't understand the difference between a $2500 1911 and $1000 1911.
Same platform.
What the heck could possibly be the big difference?

Old 04-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #4

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickTheNickhead

I just don't understand the difference between a $2500 1911 and $1000 1911.
Same platform.
What the heck could possibly be the big difference?
Fit and finish. A high end gun has many custom fitted parts that give better tolerances to the finished product. In my opinion a $1,000 gun is more than adequate for most people.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

rhyno13 Likes This 
Old 04-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

Fit and finish. A high end gun has many custom fitted parts that give better tolerances to the finished product. In my opinion a $1,000 gun is more than adequate for most people.
Could you elaborate?
Sorry, I'm new to all of this...
Custom fitted parts?
The 1911 platform would mean try all have the same parts, right?
You're just dying that the individual parts for better?
I'm confused.
I get the "finish" part.
I've tried to do research but I couldn't find much...

Old 04-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #6

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts

The fit means there's no slop in the gun. There's a right frame to slide fit. It makes the gun super accurate. Most 1911 can be picked up and shaken and you hear a rattling. The tight fit ones don't. But if you want a reliable 1911 you need something that's broken in. My Remington R1 had two fail to feed in the first 50 rounds but that's the mags. Whatever you choose get better mags like McCormick, Wilson, etc. Ever since the break in I haven't had a malfunction since.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

You don't need to spend anywhere near that much to get an extremely reliable 1911. Many members here shoot Rock Island Armory, or American Classic 1911s. They cost anywhere from $400-$550, and are still extremely reliable.

As for the $2500 1911s, they are just build to tighter tolerances. All 1911s are basically the same, but some are just built to near perfection. There's not really much a difference in reliability, the real difference is in performance, accuracy, and fit/finish.
As said before, a 1911 under $1000 is usually fine for most people. The people who buy the $2500 1911s are usually involved in competition, or are really into 1911s and want the best that they can afford.

If your just looking for a gun for the range, or even for self defense, there is no real need to spend for then $1000. There are PLENTY of extremely good 1911s for less than that.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #8

With a custom gun the shop does not simply assemble the parts to get a gun that works, almost every surface is polished and machined for an exact fit...frame, barrel, slide, trigger, barrel bushing, etc are fitted together. Certain mods are often made to round off sharp edges (carry melt) improve purchases, adjust trigger uptake and reduce trigger weight. All of this extra craftsmanship takes many hours by a master gunsmith which accounts for most of the added cost.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
You don't need to spend anywhere near that much to get an extremely reliable 1911. Many members here shoot Rock Island Armory, or American Classic 1911s. They cost anywhere from $400-$550, and are still extremely reliable.

As for the $2500 1911s, they are just build to tighter tolerances. All 1911s are basically the same, but some are just built to near perfection. There's not really much a difference in reliability, the real difference is in performance, accuracy, and fit/finish.
As said before, a 1911 under $1000 is usually fine for most people. The people who buy the $2500 1911s are usually involved in competition, or are really into 1911s and want the best that they can afford.

If your just looking for a gun for the range, or even for self defense, there is no real need to spend for then $1000. There are PLENTY of extremely good 1911s for less than that.
What he said^^^

Old 04-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #10

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickTheNickhead View Post

I've heard that to get a 1911 that is EXTREMELY reliable, you may spend upwards of $2500. Is this true or is it just gun myth?

I want something that is EXTREMELY reliable but won't break the bank. I wouldn't be willing to spend more than $1200.
Is it possible to get something extremely reliable for this price?
I'm sure $1200 will get me a great 1911, but would it match up to the reliability of other pistols like Glock, etc?

No, I'm not a Glock fan boy. Just giving you an idea of the reliability I'm after.
I'd like to meet the person who fed you this line of bull **** so I could beat their stupid lying ass. Springfield milspec can be found for $600 or so if you're lucky, still under $700 if you're not. I've INDUCED three failures purposely to see what it would take. It won't choke under anything resembling normal shooting conditions. Want a gun that can be frozen and then buried in salty sandy gooey mud and then be shot after merely shaking it? Well, how often do you intend to bury your gun under the Arctic ice caps? **** that stupid ****.