Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 04:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 279 Times on 243 Posts

Okay, so with tax season coming up I'll be getting back a heafty amount. Haven't absolutely decided I'll designate a small chunk of it for a 1911, but am seriously considering and would like some recommendations on what to be pre-shopping for.

I want one that will use standard readily available parts, aftermarket and/or stock. Not going to spend more than 700 on. So far I'm interested in Remington. Then possibly RIA/Metro. I don't necessarily want the full size, actually prefer the commander I believe it is, not sure if Rem does this size. Under 5"barrel but no less than 4". Must have is classic grip safety, think it's called beavertail...? One feature none of my guns currently have and I just dig something different and unique. Also desire the stainless slide frame.

Thanks in advance for the experienced info and advice.

I'm so lost with all the different barrel and frame sizes. I don't want the full size frame, one just under it and hope a 4.25" barrel. Not sure if this is commander or officer or what. Educate me please fellas...

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 12-19-2012 at 04:36 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-19-2012, 04:36 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19528 Times on 11084 Posts
Likes Given: 49157

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Okay, so with tax season coming up I'll be getting back a heafty amount. Haven't absolutely decided I'll designate a small chunk of it for a 1911, but am seriously considering and would like some recommendations on what to be pre-shopping for.

I want one that will use standard readily available parts, aftermarket and/or stock. Not going to spend more than 700 on. So far I'm interested in Remington. Then possibly RIA/Metro. I don't necessarily want the full size, actually prefer the commander I believe it is, not sure if Rem does this size. Under 5"barrel but no less than 4". Must have is classic grip safety, think it's called beavertail...? One feature none of my guns currently have and I just dig something different and unique. Also desire the stainless slide frame.

Thanks in advance for the experienced info and advice.
BTB, check out the American Classic 1911's from MetroArms as well. i currently have a Commander sized one that's just awesome and very accurate. and like the RIA and other 1911 Mil-Spec clones, most parts will fit, but sometimes just like a Colt, they may need a little fitting. also check out the Remington R1 1911's. they don't offer one in a Commander sized pistol yet, but do have several in stainless steel. i have the R1 Enhanced and truly enjoy shooting it. very accurate and very well made.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:05 AM   #3

Good timing. Just got done looking at their Firestorm Commander. Perfect fit for what I'm looking for. But I can't find them for sale anywhere. What should I expect, is it under my 700 Mark? If I had to guess I'd say more like 550-630.

Man its scarce out there for gun buying. This whooplah has really gotten out of hand but I'm a patient man when I need to be. Thanks for the input axxe!

Old 12-19-2012, 05:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Good timing. Just got done looking at their Firestorm Commander. Perfect fit for what I'm looking for. But I can't find them for sale anywhere. What should I expect, is it under my 700 Mark? If I had to guess I'd say more like 550-630.

Man its scarce out there for gun buying. This whooplah has really gotten out of hand but I'm a patient man when I need to be. Thanks for the input axxe!
BTB, i gave about $600 for my American Classic Commander. it came in the hard chrome finish. here's a picture of it for you to see what it looks like. i think you would really enjoy this one. they are pretty dang accurate, well made, and made in the Phillipine Islands like the RIA/High Standard's.

Last edited by Axxe55; 01-06-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Stillersfan Likes This 
Old 12-19-2012, 05:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

BTB, i gave about $600 for my American Classic Commander. it came in the hard chrome finish. here's a picture of it for you to see what it looks like. i think you would really enjoy this one. they are pretty dang accurate, well made, and made in the Phillipine Islands like the RIA/High Standard's.
Insert severe drooling here... immaculate and exactly what I'm looking for. Really can't wait to start dressing it up with different grips until I get my desire look. Might duracoat the safety, slide release and mag release to match, once I decide on grip. Oh my, I'm getting way ahead of myself here. Lol

Thanks again Axxe, you've been of great help and an incorrigible enabler, you rock! Lol

Old 12-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Insert severe drooling here... immaculate and exactly what I'm looking for. Really can't wait to start dressing it up with different grips until I get my desire look. Might duracoat the safety, slide release and mag release to match, once I decide on grip. Oh my, I'm getting way ahead of myself here. Lol

Thanks again Axxe, you've been of great help and an incorrigible enabler, you rock! Lol
that was before. this is after modifications!

Last edited by Axxe55; 01-06-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Stillersfan Likes This 
Old 12-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #7

Liked 120 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 58

You can't go wrong with an American Classic. While you're at it also look at the STI Spartan. I have an AC Gov't model and a Spartan V 9mm and they are both great guns. Both have proven to be accurate (as in easy to shoot), reliable and tons of fun to shoot.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

I don't know.
After a cursory view of my tax situation for 2012, the best 1911 I can afford is hanging in a plastic bag at the Dollar Tree.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 12-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #9

Liked 64 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
that was before. this is after modifications!
Very Nice!!

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 12-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #10

Liked 120 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
I don't know.
After a cursory view of my tax situation for 2012, the best 1911 I can afford is hanging in a plastic bag at the Dollar Tree.
You can afford Dollar Tree? I'm hoping this year I can start shopping there, I'm tired of buying used from the Goodwill Thrift Store.

Hope you and everyone have a great new year (pending 12/21/12)!