Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   1911 recommendations? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/1911-recommendations-78857/)

BeyondTheBox 12-19-2012 04:00 AM

Okay, so with tax season coming up I'll be getting back a heafty amount. Haven't absolutely decided I'll designate a small chunk of it for a 1911, but am seriously considering and would like some recommendations on what to be pre-shopping for.

I want one that will use standard readily available parts, aftermarket and/or stock. Not going to spend more than 700 on. So far I'm interested in Remington. Then possibly RIA/Metro. I don't necessarily want the full size, actually prefer the commander I believe it is, not sure if Rem does this size. Under 5"barrel but no less than 4". Must have is classic grip safety, think it's called beavertail...? One feature none of my guns currently have and I just dig something different and unique. Also desire the stainless slide frame.

Thanks in advance for the experienced info and advice.

I'm so lost with all the different barrel and frame sizes. I don't want the full size frame, one just under it and hope a 4.25" barrel. Not sure if this is commander or officer or what. Educate me please fellas...

Axxe55 12-19-2012 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 1057446)
Okay, so with tax season coming up I'll be getting back a heafty amount. Haven't absolutely decided I'll designate a small chunk of it for a 1911, but am seriously considering and would like some recommendations on what to be pre-shopping for.

I want one that will use standard readily available parts, aftermarket and/or stock. Not going to spend more than 700 on. So far I'm interested in Remington. Then possibly RIA/Metro. I don't necessarily want the full size, actually prefer the commander I believe it is, not sure if Rem does this size. Under 5"barrel but no less than 4". Must have is classic grip safety, think it's called beavertail...? One feature none of my guns currently have and I just dig something different and unique. Also desire the stainless slide frame.

Thanks in advance for the experienced info and advice.

BTB, check out the American Classic 1911's from MetroArms as well. i currently have a Commander sized one that's just awesome and very accurate. and like the RIA and other 1911 Mil-Spec clones, most parts will fit, but sometimes just like a Colt, they may need a little fitting. also check out the Remington R1 1911's. they don't offer one in a Commander sized pistol yet, but do have several in stainless steel. i have the R1 Enhanced and truly enjoy shooting it. very accurate and very well made.

BeyondTheBox 12-19-2012 05:05 AM

Good timing. Just got done looking at their Firestorm Commander. Perfect fit for what I'm looking for. But I can't find them for sale anywhere. What should I expect, is it under my 700 Mark? If I had to guess I'd say more like 550-630.

Man its scarce out there for gun buying. This whooplah has really gotten out of hand but I'm a patient man when I need to be. Thanks for the input axxe!

Axxe55 12-19-2012 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 1057510)
Good timing. Just got done looking at their Firestorm Commander. Perfect fit for what I'm looking for. But I can't find them for sale anywhere. What should I expect, is it under my 700 Mark? If I had to guess I'd say more like 550-630.

Man its scarce out there for gun buying. This whooplah has really gotten out of hand but I'm a patient man when I need to be. Thanks for the input axxe!

BTB, i gave about $600 for my American Classic Commander. it came in the hard chrome finish. here's a picture of it for you to see what it looks like. i think you would really enjoy this one. they are pretty dang accurate, well made, and made in the Phillipine Islands like the RIA/High Standard's.

BeyondTheBox 12-19-2012 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 1057513)

BTB, i gave about $600 for my American Classic Commander. it came in the hard chrome finish. here's a picture of it for you to see what it looks like. i think you would really enjoy this one. they are pretty dang accurate, well made, and made in the Phillipine Islands like the RIA/High Standard's.

Insert severe drooling here... immaculate and exactly what I'm looking for. Really can't wait to start dressing it up with different grips until I get my desire look. Might duracoat the safety, slide release and mag release to match, once I decide on grip. Oh my, I'm getting way ahead of myself here. Lol

Thanks again Axxe, you've been of great help and an incorrigible enabler, you rock! Lol

Axxe55 12-19-2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 1057526)
Insert severe drooling here... immaculate and exactly what I'm looking for. Really can't wait to start dressing it up with different grips until I get my desire look. Might duracoat the safety, slide release and mag release to match, once I decide on grip. Oh my, I'm getting way ahead of myself here. Lol

Thanks again Axxe, you've been of great help and an incorrigible enabler, you rock! Lol

that was before. this is after modifications!

qwiksdraw 12-19-2012 11:38 AM

You can't go wrong with an American Classic. While you're at it also look at the STI Spartan. I have an AC Gov't model and a Spartan V 9mm and they are both great guns. Both have proven to be accurate (as in easy to shoot), reliable and tons of fun to shoot.

danf_fl 12-19-2012 11:48 AM

I don't know.
After a cursory view of my tax situation for 2012, the best 1911 I can afford is hanging in a plastic bag at the Dollar Tree.

Stillersfan 12-19-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 1057540)
that was before. this is after modifications!

Very Nice!!

qwiksdraw 12-19-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1057650)
I don't know.
After a cursory view of my tax situation for 2012, the best 1911 I can afford is hanging in a plastic bag at the Dollar Tree.

You can afford Dollar Tree? I'm hoping this year I can start shopping there, I'm tired of buying used from the Goodwill Thrift Store.:D

Hope you and everyone have a great new year (pending 12/21/12)!