Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   1911 range officer front sight (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/1911-range-officer-front-sight-52248/)

kalepas 11-22-2011 05:30 PM

1911 range officer front sight

I must say I love the RO I just bought but after shooting a couple hundred rounds through it I don't care for the front sight being black it makes it hard to pick up, especially at night. Any ideas? I have heard u can paint the sight but wanna be sure.

Olympus 11-22-2011 06:32 PM

Sure, you can paint the front sight. People have done it for years. You can also completely replace the front sight with a fiber optic from Hi-Viz or other makers.

MrWray 11-22-2011 06:40 PM

Just replace the set with some night sights from trijicon,meprolite,or tru-glo..well worth it

kalepas 11-22-2011 06:45 PM

Thanks I was unaware front sight was replaceable!

Overkill0084 11-22-2011 06:51 PM

Sure you can paint it. I have what appears to be the same setup on my Trophy Match. My gripe is the fact that the front sight on mine appears to be a gloss finish. I've considered a fiber optic sight. For actual night use, I'd consider investing in some proper night sights.

MrWray 11-22-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalepas
Thanks I was unaware front sight was replaceable!

If its not the dovetail version it may appear "permanent".. But its a stake in front sight. You can replace them no problem

JonM 11-24-2011 01:28 AM

just a fyi, the RO intended use is a range target gun thats why the sight is black. in bright daylight a black sight contrasts very well on a typical bullseye target.

they are easily swapped out as stated above

PSYCHOFREAK3 11-28-2011 05:22 PM

I just purchased a Range Officer as well. As I have yet to take it to a decent range, the one where I bought it had very poor lighting which meant I couldn't see the sights at all. I plan on painting them to see how that works out I wanted something bright but as JonM mentioned not too bright as to make it hard to see if I ever get to an outside range. But needless to say the first 100 rounds were horrible placed, it's like I was shooting blind.

Olympus 11-28-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSYCHOFREAK3 (Post 638177)
I just purchased a Range Officer as well. As I have yet to take it to a decent range, the one where I bought it had very poor lighting which meant I couldn't see the sights at all. I plan on painting them to see how that works out I wanted something bright but as JonM mentioned not too bright as to make it hard to see if I ever get to an outside range. But needless to say the first 100 rounds were horrible placed, it's like I was shooting blind.

That's no bueno. I agree with you though, I find a solid black front sight to be hard to pick up. It wouldn't be so bad if maybe the rear sight had a white outline or something that would contrast with the front sight. But black on black isn't my idea of ideal. It can be difficult to see in indoor shooting ranges. I prefer a fiber optic or gold bead front sight.