1911 question - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 01:42 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6361 Times on 3374 Posts
Likes Given: 470

i paid 750ish if i remember right for my new production colt series 70

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 12-01-2011, 01:45 AM   #12

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i paid 750ish if i remember right for my new production colt series 70
Really? I've thought about looking into one (DIE HARD 70 series guy here) but just figured it was out of my range I feel a lay a way coming on

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-01-2011, 02:34 AM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Depending on your preferences, a blued Colt 1991 comes pretty close ($775 to $835.)
^^^ Given $800 for the pistol only, this is the answer.

Otherwise, a Springfield Mil Spec GI ($500) and a case of ammo ($300) would be my next choice.

Be Well.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:51 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6361 Times on 3374 Posts
Likes Given: 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Really? I've thought about looking into one (DIE HARD 70 series guy here) but just figured it was out of my range I feel a lay a way coming on
ya im not sure what the tax brought it to. my local lgs generally gets good deals for me. even on things i special order. he is always at or under internet pricing if you figure in shipping and transfeer fee. so i order lots from him. i did have a long 6 month wait to get it as colt wasnt in a series 70 production at the time i ordered and none were in any of his distributer warehouses.

i cant stress how smooth colts are. its like buttering a countertop then buttering the bottom of a glass and sliding it around. with my springfield i mucked with the internals replacing them with cylinder and slide internals. the colt came from the factory just as good as the springfield felt after a custom sear install.

my colt rattles but its accurate the rattle doesnt effect its accuracy just makes it ultra reliable. it even feeds empty cases from any 1911 mag. it feeds hollowpoints tapered rounds semi wadcutters and full wadcutters. it came from the factory with a full throating job.

if colt charged 1200$ they would still be asking a fair price. sub 1000$ the colt series 70 is a no brainer. if you want extended this and thats and beaver tails etc their other models are still in the ball park.

here is mine:

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 12-01-2011, 04:47 AM   #15
mbd

Wow! Beautiful guns guys!! Thank you so much for the info!!!
It's kinda hard to get the same kind of prices you guys are getting on the mainland out here on Maui, but I have a great gunshop, and we are working on a solid 1911 for a good ( for here) price.
Wish me luck!!! Thank all of you for the help!!

Old 12-01-2011, 05:17 AM   #16

Liked 1035 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 16

My High Standard 1911A1..not quite stock anymore, but was $500 new.. Its been 100% for 1,300 rounds

forumrunner_20111130_231347.jpg

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 12-01-2011, 05:24 AM   #17

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

The biggest downside to the PT1911 is the ambi safety. In some of the earlier models they had a tendency if working loose on some pistols. It seemed to me that some of them just where not installed correctly coming out of the factory. I have one here wit hthousands of rounds through it that has yet to give me any troubles. A buddy of mine had the problem with the safety and after a little reading it seems that it happened to some other people too.

I'm a huge fan of Springers. I've het to see one yet that have any trouble. The two I have here are well used and still spot on. With Para Ord it seems to vary from person to person how well they perform. I've loved the ones I have and would buy another in a heartbeat. One thing that gets me with those are you don't find many used Paras out there. Even the sites like gunbroker you don't see them often. Some people don't like the ramped barrels on a 1911 for any of a few reasons. To me it's not an issue. They just work and that's all I need them to do. I'm not sure being I've not held one but I don't believe the GI Expert has the ramped bbl.

There's literally tons of decent 1911's out there though. For the most part it's a get what you pay for deal but there are deals if you look around. If I was looking around right now I'd lean to another Springer, STI, or a Colt. THe first two can be had a little cheaper than the Colt but there is no denying that Colt makes a great weapon. It's a little hard to explain until you take one out and shoot it. They just feel a little different.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-01-2011, 05:57 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default First 1911 under $1000

When I was in the market for my first 1911 I was looking for something to use in the IDPA CDP Division that was a bit further upstream than the $1000 price point, but still reasonably priced.

I liked the Colt's but their reputation just isn't what it used to be. My wife had two Kimbers and they're definitely nice but something about them just doesn't work for me. Perhaps it's the fancy finish and a plastic trigger. The Smith & Wessons and Sigs were definite contenders but in the end I decided to buy a Springfield Trophy Match.

The Trophy Match is essentially the same gun as the TRP, except with target sights instead of night sights. It uses match grade parts and the slide, barrel and frame are hand fitted. A friend builds custom 1911s and he explained to me how they put their money into the insides, but leave the outside very production.

The Springfield Loaded is similar to the Trophy Match, but without the match grade parts and hand fitting and the result is plenty good enough for most folks.

While you can send your 1911 into S&W, Sig or whoever for a trigger job, you can send your 1911 into Springfield and have them 'tighten' the gun as well as anything else you can imagine. Plus, unlike the competition, Springfield will install your aftermarket parts in your 1911. So if you'd like some Wilson Combat Bullet Proof ambi safeties or . . . they'd work with you.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein

Old 12-02-2011, 11:31 PM   #19

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have found great deals at Slickguns | Best deals on guns and ammo posted by users and free shipping!

Just don't drool to much as they have quite a large selection and very good prices. Heck you could possibly get two for that money one in 45 and one in22 for cheap fun!

I have a local gun shop that will do transfers for $10.00 so it is easy to bargin with the local shops. I find what I want on slickguns, add $10.00 then tell the local shops I will pay that amount plus 10% if they want my business.

It is amasing what the markup is on most of the stock they have!

Some of them seem to cry when I come in and they will take me into the back room so the other customers don't hear what I pay but they still love taking my money!!!

Old 12-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #20

Take a look at the Sigs. I have been selling some of these and am real impressed with the quality for the price. You could get a base model one for eight bills or less if you looked around.