1911 Purchase
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 Purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
Ara
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default 1911 Purchase

Greetings-

I am a newbie, so please excuse any questions that may sound ignorant / pathetic.

I know this question has been asked a few thousand times on most 1911 forums... But I'm having a very tough time making a decision and would like your expertise

I want to purchase a 1911 and can not decide on a brand.

So far, I've shot over 5 different 1911's and have managed to narrow my decision down to 3 brands. Springfield (I can't recall the model, it was a bare bone stainless model), kimber stainless 2, and the smith and Wesson stainless model (I believe this is a somewhat basic model with target sights).

I've shot a sig and a rock island armory and wasn't to excited with the feel of the pistol.

I live in California. My budget is in the 1000-1200 range.

The 1911 will primarily be used at the range, of course it would act as a self defense weapon of needed.

I've read a ton of mixed reviews about kimbers. Same with SW's Some experts love it, other can't stand the name!

I would like to know your thoughts / recommendations on the 3 brand.

Things that might matter to me are:

- Stainless - I definitely want an SS model
- Beaver tail
- Skeleton trigger
- trigger weight in the 4-5 lbs range
- Serrated grip sides (not sure if I'm using the right term, I'm referring to the serrations on the sides of the handle)
- Sights - I prefer target sight (not a deal breaker)
- Maintenance - something fairly straight forward for a newbie

I don't really care much for lights/laser add Ons

Your thoughts / opinions are highly appreciated

Best,

Ara

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #2

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Once you decide you like the 'feel & balance', it comes down to quality, reliability & customer service from the manufacturer if needed. As you mentioned, you'll find love/hate info on just about any brand, but of the three you mention I'd guess Springfield gets less of the 'hate' reviews & just about everyone agrees that their service after the sale is top notch.

Of the three, I own a Kimber. By Kimber's thinking, it's just barely broken in with about 700 rounds through it, but it's been perfect from day one so I've had no personal experience with their service. I bought it because I wanted a pistol with a laser, it came with Crimson Trace laser grip & the LGS had one on the shelf at a price I could afford.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2658 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 1314

ARA,

It would be between the Springfield and the Kimber. But for me I tend to go more with the Springfield. Both are fine 1911s but I know for sure Springfield has a good product and good customer service. The Range Officer is a fine choice with the explanation and requirements you mentioned.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 09-24-2012, 12:59 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

How is Kimber's CS?

What about the Ruger SR1911? I've heard it is one of the best bang for the buck 1911's out there.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
Ara

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamivice
How is Kimber's CS?

What about the Ruger SR1911? I've heard it is one of the best bang for the buck 1911's out there.
I dont think the ruger 1911 is CA approved.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #6

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ara
Greetings-

I am a newbie, so please excuse any questions that may sound ignorant / pathetic.

I know this question has been asked a few thousand times on most 1911 forums... But I'm having a very tough time making a decision and would like your expertise

I want to purchase a 1911 and can not decide on a brand.

So far, I've shot over 5 different 1911's and have managed to narrow my decision down to 3 brands. Springfield (I can't recall the model, it was a bare bone stainless model), kimber stainless 2, and the smith and Wesson stainless model (I believe this is a somewhat basic model with target sights).

I've shot a sig and a rock island armory and wasn't to excited with the feel of the pistol.

I live in California. My budget is in the 1000-1200 range.

The 1911 will primarily be used at the range, of course it would act as a self defense weapon of needed.

I've read a ton of mixed reviews about kimbers. Same with SW's Some experts love it, other can't stand the name!

I would like to know your thoughts / recommendations on the 3 brand.

Things that might matter to me are:

- Stainless - I definitely want an SS model
- Beaver tail
- Skeleton trigger
- trigger weight in the 4-5 lbs range
- Serrated grip sides (not sure if I'm using the right term, I'm referring to the serrations on the sides of the handle)
- Sights - I prefer target sight (not a deal breaker)
- Maintenance - something fairly straight forward for a newbie

I don't really care much for lights/laser add Ons

Your thoughts / opinions are highly appreciated

Best,

Ara
Springfield. Definitely Springfield over the other two. (or Colt)

Old 09-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #7

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Springfield Loaded Target
Kimber Custom II Target

Those would be my choices.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

For $1,000. - $1,200. get a Colt.

Springfield is a good pistol and they have an excellent warranty. I carry a Kimber Pro Carry II and it's a good pistol, but if I had your budget, I'd go with a Colt hands down.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3041 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke-again124 View Post
Springfield. Definitely Springfield over the other two. (or Colt)
+1

S&W's are pretty good shooters. Though some people have issues with the look and the external extractor. One could do worse.
If you can find one in your price range (even used), Dan Wesson is worth a look. I'm not certain about their availability in CA. I know they did have a few CA certified models at one time.
NRA Life Member

How will we know it's time to gather up the pitchforks & torches and start assembling the guillotine on the DC mall?

Old 09-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
Ara

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357
For $1,000. - $1,200. get a Colt.

Springfield is a good pistol and they have an excellent warranty. I carry a Kimber Pro Carry II and it's a good pistol, but if I had your budget, I'd go with a Colt hands down.

I presume you are referring to the colt model 80, O1991 model. correct?

If, so, that is a very nice pistol. I just haven't been able to locate one at any of gun shops in my area.