1911 options
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 options

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 04:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania
Posts: 346
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 1911 options

What is the absolute best 1911 to buy?

__________________
97cobra is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 09-11-2011, 05:16 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AznZOhAn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 613
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

It depends on how deep are you pockets and what you're using it for. It also depends on the weight you like, the finish you want, how loose you like a gun, caliber, and etc.

__________________
AznZOhAn is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:28 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jpyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sewell,NJ
Posts: 4,815
Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Default

Unfortunately, like many things in life there are no absolutes...what is best for me may not be best for you or anyone else. Neither price nor reputation makes any one gun the absolute best...I believe that Canebrake once posted a very informative essay on the diminishing returns on 1911 costs, once you get above $1,500 or so the additional price gets you less and less improvements in quality and hardly any performance increase.

Generally, the best for you would be the gun that feels good in your hands as well as being the one that you are most comfortable and confident handling and shooting. Another major consideration is purpose...are you looking for a competition gun, a carry gun, a range gun, a home defense gun, etc. What is your budget....some are willing and able to spend $3,000 for a custom Nighthawk while others love their $600 Rock Island, both guns are equally capable of delivering a threat stopping double tap.

A few models that seem to garner praise from their owners are Colt, Nighthawk, Springfield Armory, Smith & Wesson, Kimber, Dan Wesson (pre CZ USA), Ruger and Remington. (apologies for any I have missed )

Help us out and fill in some of the details mentioned above and elaborate a little on what it is you are looking for. Above all else visit a couple of gun shops or ranges and check out several different models and sizes, i.e. Full Size (government), commander (compact) or agent (sub-compact).

Have fun and good luck...

__________________

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Jpyle is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:01 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Firearms4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Roanoke,Virginia
Posts: 1,757
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Agreed. So far the best 1911 I have handled and fired is a tie between my Springfield 1911A1 and a Sig 1911. For me the best 1911 is a GI configuration with a 3 dot sight system like my Springfield or a Colt. So far the best 1911A1 I have experience with is my Springfield and the best 1911 I have fired was a Sig, but the best 1911 I have handled was a Colt Series 80 1991 model. Canebrake will most likely tell you the best 1911 is a Colt and I have to agree with him, but as to what particular model is where we might disagree based on our own preferences.

__________________

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Firearms4ever is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danf_fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA (Lower Alabama),FL
Posts: 10,262
Liked 2872 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Default

I like the Ed Brown's line. He provides pistols to some of our fighting elite.

__________________

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

danf_fl is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania
Posts: 346
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle
Unfortunately, like many things in life there are no absolutes...what is best for me may not be best for you or anyone else. Neither price nor reputation makes any one gun the absolute best...I believe that Canebrake once posted a very informative essay on the diminishing returns on 1911 costs, once you get above $1,500 or so the additional price gets you less and less improvements in quality and hardly any performance increase.

Generally, the best for you would be the gun that feels good in your hands as well as being the one that you are most comfortable and confident handling and shooting. Another major consideration is purpose...are you looking for a competition gun, a carry gun, a range gun, a home defense gun, etc. What is your budget....some are willing and able to spend $3,000 for a custom Nighthawk while others love their $600 Rock Island, both guns are equally capable of delivering a threat stopping double tap.

A few models that seem to garner praise from their owners are Colt, Nighthawk, Springfield Armory, Smith & Wesson, Kimber, Dan Wesson (pre CZ USA), Ruger and Remington. (apologies for any I have missed )

Help us out and fill in some of the details mentioned above and elaborate a little on what it is you are looking for. Above all else visit a couple of gun shops or ranges and check out several different models and sizes, i.e. Full Size (government), commander (compact) or agent (sub-compact).

Have fun and good luck...
I'm looking to use it as a range and home defense gun. Probably in the $1500 range and when I was looking at colts custom options all but one were single action. What's that all about?
__________________
97cobra is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mesinge2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,535
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cobra View Post
I'm looking to use it as a range and home defense gun. Probably in the $1500 range and when I was looking at colts custom options all but one were single action. What's that all about?

All 1911s are single action, except certain DAO models and those are not 'true' 1911s.

"Single-action semi-automatic pistols require that the hammer be cocked before the first round can be fired, although most designs cock the hammer as part of the loading process (e.g., the act of inserting the magazine and operating the slide mechanism to chamber the first round also cocks the hammer or striker into the ready-to-fire position). Once the first round is fired, the automatic movement (recoil) of the slide cocks the hammer for each subsequent shot. The pistol, once cocked, can be fired by pulling the trigger once for each shot until the magazine is empty. The M1911 and Browning Hi-Power are single-action pistols that function in this manner. ." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_(firearms)
__________________
www.pistol-talk.com

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 09-11-2011 at 07:16 PM.
mesinge2 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cobra View Post
What is the absolute best 1911 to buy?
IMHO, send your Colt (or BHP) of choice to Ted Yost, Heirloom Precision, Tempe, AZ and have him do a Signature Grade conversion. (Starts at $4,995 + your gun + shipping.)

Heirloom Precision

I would send him a Colt LW Commander and have it done like this:





^ Ted Yost Signature Grade Conversion



^ Built by Jason Burton of Heirloom Precision.



^ Built by Steve Bailey of Heirloom Precision.

Some additional Heirloom Precision guns:
tysg1.jpg   tysg2.jpg   tysg4.jpg   tyfg1.jpg   tyhp1.jpg  

__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 09-11-2011 at 09:31 PM.
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:38 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania
Posts: 346
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake

IMHO, send your Colt (or BHP) of choice to Ted Yost, Heirloom Precision, Tempe, AZ and have him do a Signature Grade conversion. (Starts at $4,995 + your gun + shipping.)

Heirloom Precision

I would send him a Colt LW Commander and have it done like this:

^ Ted Yost Signature Grade Conversion

^ Built by Jason Burton of Heirloom Precision.

^ Built by Steve Bailey of Heirloom Precision.

Some additional Heirloom Precision guns:
What is the signature grade conversion? Based on the threads I've read I've heard you are an extremely excellent person to ask questions. Around how much would the total be including everything.
__________________
97cobra is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania
Posts: 346
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2

All 1911s are single action, except certain DAO models and those are not 'true' 1911s.

"Single-action semi-automatic pistols require that the hammer be cocked before the first round can be fired, although most designs cock the hammer as part of the loading process (e.g., the act of inserting the magazine and operating the slide mechanism to chamber the first round also cocks the hammer or striker into the ready-to-fire position). Once the first round is fired, the automatic movement (recoil) of the slide cocks the hammer for each subsequent shot. The pistol, once cocked, can be fired by pulling the trigger once for each shot until the magazine is empty. The M1911 and Browning Hi-Power are single-action pistols that function in this manner. ." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_(firearms)
Ok. I read that on colts website and thought cocking the hammer everytime is what they meant. Thanks for clearing that up. I suppose if I thought about it at all I would have realized that the slide would cock the hammer back once fired lol.
__________________
97cobra is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
What are my options? Scratchammo General Handgun Discussion 15 07-08-2011 05:12 AM
Concealable 1911 Options WannaGator 1911 Forum 7 04-14-2011 07:45 PM
Other options Timothy_90 Other Weapons 14 01-01-2011 07:35 AM
1911 options iMagUdspEllr 1911 Forum 8 08-24-2010 01:38 PM
What are my options? red ryder Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 13 12-19-2009 07:43 PM