1911, not for everybody - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911, not for everybody

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 04:34 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I agree with the statement that no gun is for everybody. However, I believe that the 1911 is a great beginner's firearm. They point naturally, the manual of arms for 1911s are natural and instinctive, and they have serviceable accuracy right out of the box, which negates any need for the newcomer to tinker with the firearm.

Most good quality 1911s are good, reliable shooters right out of the box. Some have their issues, but most do not. Usually, the newcomer isn't worried about match grade accuracy, so needing to fiddle with the slide/barrels is not needed.

Most good 1911s just need basic cleaning and maintanence in order to function well. It depends on the brand.

I think a new shooter would do well to check out the 1911 platform.

To each their own in the end.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #12

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1911 View Post
I read an artical by Larry Vickers who says something similar, he said the 1911 is an enthusiasts gun and you better be skilled enough to be your own 'smith at times.

Another artical I remember was by Ken Hackathorn where he said if you treat your 1911 like your lawn mower get a Glock.

I would have to agree after reading some of the rediculas whining I have seen posted by certian members in the 1911 section, some people just need to stick to their XD's and Glocks.
I think quoting the comments of Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn is fine. They both know there way around 1911's as well as anyone. Knowing and using the names of skilled, respected and experienced operators is not "name dropping", and it helps give those who may not know their names a couple of additional options for Googling to gain further info.

The original criteria for reliability for the 1911 was impressive, and was easily met in trials. But back then the attention to detail was extreme, and the pride of the makers was paramount. A 1915 manufactured, box stock commercial 1911 represented more hours of hand labor and attention to detail than the most expensive custom 1911 does today. They also did not need to turn out a bazillion pistols, and they were all made the same. No such thing as "extended this, flared that, bobbed whatever" back in the day. Today, there are many companies churning out 1911's at amazing rates, many more making parts, and parts tolerances can vary immensely. That is why so much fitting can be required for aftermarket parts.

If you enjoy tinkering, try a 1911. They are world class pistols. And most quality 1911's can be made to run perfectly by cleaning up the throat and ramp, tuning the extractor and making sure the plunger tube is permanently affixed. The rest falls into the "tinkering" category.

If you just want a no nonsense tool for defensive purposes, get a Glock.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If someone is bound and determined to go with a Glock, they should at least go with the Ninja Model.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-19-2009, 06:37 PM   #14

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
If someone is bound and determined to go with a Glock, they should at least go with the Ninja Model.
But the Ninja Glock takes all the fun and skill out of shooting. And why shoot at all if you can cut your enemies down with the laser? Boring.

Haha.

Last edited by M14sRock; 09-20-2009 at 04:49 AM.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #15

Very good thread.

The 1911 sounds like a pain in the butt to own. That coupled with the extreemly high price makes turns me off to it.

It is sexy looking though. The glocks are asthetically offensive in my eyes. Thats by far the biggest turn off from a glock point of view. I'm trying to figure out what to buy, and it is extreemly difficult to choose the right gun.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
You like to jump in these threads and drop names and hint at your vast knowledge and experience with the platform - why not help folks?

Unless you are John Moses Browning reincarnated, you had to start somewhere yourself - and I bet you asked questions and got helpful answers. BTW, I suggest using Firefox as it has a built-in spellchecker. Your posts of superiority would carry more weight without the 4 misspelled words like this one...
WOW,............

You've definitely got something stuck in your craw,....maybe it's because I had the gaal to say don't like Norincos in the past.

1st; If you noticed I said, "I would have to agree" with your O.P., so it's rediculas for you to come out swinging at me when I was supporting your statements.

2nd; The forum does have a spell check, didn't feel the need for it at the time, I promise I'll try to do a better job in the future, I'm sure you'll find a few in this post too. Thanks for going to the trouble to point them out, I'm sure you feel a lot better now.

3rd; "You like to jump in these threads and drop names and hint at your vast knowledge and experience with the platform".
O.K.,.... please excuse me, for quoting a couple of ARTICALS from a MAGAZINE to support YOUR statements,....didn't know that was dropping names and tooting my own horn.

4th; No, I never had ANY help from anyone as a newbie to 1911s, I built my first two 1911s myself without help or advice from anyone, I didn't go on internet forums bitching about why they are junk becuase I was too ignorant to understand how they worked properly, I spent lots of time understanding the gun and didn't start blaming IT for MY shortcommings.

I would re-think sniping at someone personaly who was agreeing with your original statements just because of a petty grudge or offense taken in the past.

Last edited by mr1911; 09-19-2009 at 10:01 PM.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:50 PM   #17

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 233

Please no flaming, better to stick together as gun ownership needs all the support we can give. If mistakes are made about guns that does absolutely need addressing but to burn someone on spelling, that's a bit edgy. PS I don't have the ieSpell downloaded but I have seen other forums that a spellcheck down where the Submit Reply and Post Preview buttons are that worked without any download.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:43 PM   #18

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikotromus11 View Post
Very good thread.

The 1911 sounds like a pain in the butt to own. That coupled with the extreemly high price makes turns me off to it.

It is sexy looking though. The glocks are asthetically offensive in my eyes. Thats by far the biggest turn off from a glock point of view. I'm trying to figure out what to buy, and it is extreemly difficult to choose the right gun.
HUH WHAT 1911 pain in the butt? If you mean pain in the butt as in I put what ever I want in my 1911 and it shoots it no matter what. Never had a single FTF, FTE, stove pipe, nothing but brass flying out the side and bullet flying out the front. Extreamly high price? If by high price you mean a $800 pistol that will out shoot all other pistols that try to out shoot it. I paid $700 out the door for my Kimber Custom II in CA when I bought it. I could have gotten it cheaper in VA but didn't live there at the time. If that is what you mean then yes my 1911 has been a pain in my azz since day one when I ran 500 rounds of Black Hills reloads threw it.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:22 AM   #19

NGIB I will have to agree. The 1911 may not be the best gun for everyone. now before people go up in arms, this is what I mean. It is like handing Farrari keys to a teen who just got his or her license. It is something some people have to work up. I will have to admit, when I was on the market for my first handgun, I didn't know what a 1911 was. The gunsmith handed it to me and I thought it was large and clumsy. Well little did I know then. It wasn't until a couple of years later and purchase of 4 other guns did I truely appreciate the simplicity of engineering, balance, reliability, and craftsmanship of the 1911. Just the sound of a 45 turned me off back then. I think for many first time buyers it is more about concealability or just raw power for hunting or something smaller for plinking. I think there is a smaller market of us who just love shooting it and strive to improve our shooting and take pride in the customization of the 1911. I will have to agree it is not the best first gun for everyone, but I will have to say argueably it one of the best if not the best handgun to this date. I will say that is the reason why the design has not changed for almost a hundred years, and that is saying alot.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending