Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911, not for everybody

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 12:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default 1911, not for everybody

I'm a huge 1911 fan, I have 5 of them and I shoot them more than anything else I have. A few minutes ago, I posted that it's not a good first gun - why?

Here's my take on the 1911. Yes, you can buy one that runs great right out of the box - but not all of them do. They're big and heavy. They're picky with magazines. They're all steel (sure some have alloy frames) and can rust. Many require subtle tweaks to make them really reliable. The bottom line is they are a tinkerer's gun. If you have patience and can put up with occasional frustration, they are IMO the finest platform ever built.

If you want a boringly reliable, never have to take it apart, never have to clean it, never care if it's lubed properly kind of gun - get a Glock - you'll be happier.

And no, I don't have a Glock. They are great guns - but they have no soul or personality...

Last edited by NGIB; 09-17-2009 at 12:19 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2009, 12:38 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I definitely shoot more consistently and mo' bettah' with a 1911 than any other handgun. That said, there are other handguns out there that are probably better suited for a neophyte handgunner than a 1911.

But, there is nothing like a good 1911.

I have to put a disclaimer here: A 1911 was my second handgun.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 09-17-2009 at 12:42 AM.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:38 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

NGIB, I think I might have to agree with you on this one. The 1911 is my second pistol, and the Glock 23 was my first (should have done 9mm, not .40 S&W though). I'm glad I purchased a weapon that was simple, easy to clean, easy to disassemble, and very reliable out of the box. I haven't tweaked a thing on it. All I've added is a Surefire X300 tactical rail-light.

That being said, now that I've "warmed-up" to pistols, I think I ready for the 1911. It requires a bunch of research to find the proper parts and accessories, but its worth it. I purchased the Glock because I HAD to have a home-defense gun. I purchased the 1911 because I believe it the best platform available for self-defense, and best looking to...

Hopefully I can get to the range this week and should my new Colt Combat Comander

Old 09-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #4

I did not intend this post to scare anyone away from a 1911, my goal is to make sure folks understand a 1911 isn't a "no involvement" type of gun. When you have one tuned properly, and some are out of the box, it's the sweetest shooting pistol on the planet. The reason the Ed Browns, Les Baers, Wilsons, and Nighthawks cost so much is that these guns are built, fitted, finished, and tuned by experts to make them perfect.

An example of what I'm trying to say is the barrel busing fit on a production gun is usually just adequate. To properly fit a match bushing isn't expensive, as the bushing itself is 10 bucks or so, but it requires slow careful fitting - the same for most 1911 upgrades. You pay for that up front in the custom shop guns, but doing it yourself is very satisfying.

I took my Norinco to the range last night after installing the drop-in beavertail and the new hammer & sear (and springs) and it shot very well with no problems. I accomplished my goal of making it feel better in my hand as the new beavertail allows me to have a higher grip which lowers the bore axis. The next upgrade for this one will be a match bushing and I already bought it and I'm just waiting for some "lazy" time to begin fitting it.

I expect to spend all day Saturday getting the bushing fit just right as it takes time and patience to properly hand fit a part. As you get it close you are literally making one stroke with the abrasive and then checking the fit. The end result will be a more mechanically accurate 1911 - and a very enjoyable Saturday for me as I love this type of project...

Old 09-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I'm not worried about my 1911... my boss is a gunsmith

Old 09-19-2009, 03:36 AM   #6

I read an artical by Larry Vickers who says something similar, he said the 1911 is an enthusiasts gun and you better be skilled enough to be your own 'smith at times.

Another artical I remember was by Ken Hackathorn where he said if you treat your 1911 like your lawn mower get a Glock.

I would have to agree after reading some of the rediculas whining I have seen posted by certian members in the 1911 section, some people just need to stick to their XD's and Glocks.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1911 View Post
I read an [artical] by Larry Vickers who says something similar, he said the 1911 is an enthusiasts gun and you better be skilled enough to be your own 'smith at times.

Another [artical] I remember was by Ken Hackathorn where he said if you treat your 1911 like your lawn mower get a Glock.

I would have to agree after reading some of the [rediculas] whining I have seen posted by [certian] members in the 1911 section, some people just need to stick to their XD's and Glocks.
You like to jump in these threads and drop names and hint at your vast knowledge and experience with the platform - why not help folks?

Unless you are John Moses Browning reincarnated, you had to start somewhere yourself - and I bet you asked questions and got helpful answers. BTW, I suggest using Firefox as it has a built-in spellchecker. Your posts of superiority would carry more weight without the 4 misspelled words like this one...

Old 09-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #8

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Some of US are born knowing it all the rest of you have to work at it.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #9

If there is one thing I have learned so far it's to get what you like otherwise you will always be shooting someone else's gun.

There are some that, like you said, are built to perform perfectly. Still, there is no one gun that is best suited to everybody.

I prefer Colt's 1911 because it's US made and it's the original, but what exactly is different with these other models? Could someone explain what they do they do to them to make them perform so well? I don't know a whole lot about guns at this point. As you see, I joined in July so I am pretty new to the scene. Thanks.

Last edited by hogger129; 09-19-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #10

Liked 85 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 25

As far as a semi auto, the 1911 platform, in my opinion, is the best ever devised (thank you John Browning). In my years as a gunsmith, I have built my fair share of custom guns based on the 1911. Most of these were back in the 70's and early 80's when the race gun craze was going full tilt. I shot a lot of competition back in those days and did very well with the 1911 platform.

I, still to this day, prefer to carry my P-14 over anything else. A newbe with a 1911 needs to practice every chance he/she can to become proficient with it. They also need to learn the mechanical ins and outs or have it maintained my a good 1911 smith. Properly set-up and maintained, it will never let you down................

Jim............................