Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 Mags

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 04:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Hey Virginia58, I have a Novak 8-rounder that I use with my RIA .45 and it functions perfectly. I also have 3 stainless 7-round mags that I bought for 7 bucks a peice at KCR MG shoot in 2006. They also function flawlessly.

A friend of mine uses the Chip McCormick mags and he says they work great. I've never tried any other brand as all my mags will chamber any round I stuff in them from hollow points to FMJ's.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 03-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #12

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia58 View Post
I did some more research on Tripp, Wilson, Colt and McCormick mags today and gave the folks at Tripp a call. Talked to Sherry there and after a short discussion decided to give them a try. Ordered 5 mags (little price break) and should have them to try out sometime next week. Thanks to everyone for the sage advice. Cane - The Tripp tip seems dead on. Can't wait to try them out with several types of ammo. As for the snakes...kinda like Indiana Jones, don't like em. The only pic I can warm up to is the one that spits .45.
Virginia58, glad to help. I'm sold on Tripp's quality, wait until you get them in your hands. I defy you to find the weld on the mag tube.

In the photo below you will see the Wilson Combat EMT p/n 500B (Black) .45 ACP, 8 RD. ETM Tactical Magazine, Price: $36.95 (p/n 500 stainless $34.95)

THE WILSON COMBAT® ELITE TACTICAL MAGAZINE

sandwiched by two Tripp Research Cobra Mags p/n 8R-45-RG .45 ACP, 8 RD. Magazine, Price: $32.95 (photo shows mags with optional alloy base pad)

trippresearch.com Online Store 1911 Magazines

Notice not only the quality of the welds but the fit and finish of the final product.

NOTE: I have found one downside while handling the Cobra Mag. Not to worry, Cane has found the issue, felt the pain and by passing along the "fix" should save you from his embarrassment!

My ego demands I set up the discovery of this issue.

First I will explain this from a 2nd grader on Christmas morning mentality. The wait for my CCG 460 Rowland kit to get to me had my anticipation so high that experience and training went right out the door! I assembled the gun and headed straight to the range. I forgot everything but the ammo. My range bag (with tools, targets and mag loader ; http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/make-your-life-little-eaiser-10558/#post67995) As I started to empty mags at the range it started to draw attention to my hand cannon. This only feed to my hyperactivity! During my frantic hand reloading I was completely oblivious to the Cobra Mag’s machined feed lips and managed to slice the fingerprint off my strong side thumb. I never felt the cut and didn’t even notice it until there was sufficient blood smeared all over the Colt! Either the curious range spectators didn’t see the blood, or thought with the perverse look on my face while wielding that hand cannon it was healthier not to mention it to me! I think the latter is the case.

Second, is the explanation from a seasoned design and test engineer’s view point. (that I obviously forgot to take with me along with the range bag) If you have never held a Tripp Research Cobra Mag in your grubby little paws you have not experienced the superb quality *note; this may be an engineering thingie* of this product. Even to the layman this quality is apparent, but to an experienced 1911 shooter it jumps out at you! To an engineer it’s ……….well I won’t go there! Part of this quality is the CNC machined feed lips. Closer tolerances mean sharper surfaces and not just from shear presses. Ignoring this fact will get you cut. Being aware will save you my embarrassment!

To most magazine manufactures’ this is a caveman simple, necessary sheet metal product that begs for mass production and cost cutting measures. And why not? They supply a product to an uneducated and accepting market. It’s not our fault; this technology has not been available to the masses due to cost. More experienced/professional shooters knew and they (or their smith) tweaked their competition mags to a higher performance level. To the rest of us the product continued to be built with little new technology applied since its introduction in the 1890’s. Again, another complement to the brilliant genius of JM Browning!

Here's a hint: these are the phone numbers:
Tripp Research and ask for Virgil Tripp: (432) 837-9445
Wilson Combat and ask for Bill Wilson: (870) 545-3635 I provided the # because it is near impossible to find on their site.
Make the call and have them sell you their product. That call will tell you a lot about the company!
And tell them you saw their products here on FTF and canebrake is watching them!

Go back to post # 7 and see what sarge said.

If you are considering the purchase of new mags for your 1911, do your self a favor and try one of the Tripp Cobra Mags. I think it will open your eyes!

IMHO, they're going to replace the standard in 1911 mags, they are the standard!

I am writing an evaluation for the Cobra Mag and will post when I get a lot more rounds down range.

Stay tuned, film at 11:00.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 11-16-2009 at 09:27 PM.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:40 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Got my shipment today from Tripp Research today (5 CobraMags). Inspected them all and I can say they are clean looking and fit well in my 1911. Plan on loading them up and giving them a workout this weekend.

Cane - I'll try not to remove my thumb print in the process

Virginia58

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
~John Wooden

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia58 View Post
Got my shipment today from Tripp Research today (5 CobraMags). Inspected them all and I can say they are clean looking and fit well in my 1911. Plan on loading them up and giving them a workout this weekend.

Cane - I'll try not to remove my thumb print in the process
Be sure to let us know if you opinion is as high as mine for quality and function.

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 03-29-2009, 07:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
I use the basic Chip McCormic Shooting Star mags in my Springfield.

They work flawlessly, have 8 round capacity, and are pretty cheap. I pick em up at gunshows for 20 bucks a pop, but they can be found around for a little less online I think.
Second the notion . . .

"Shooting Star" stainless, 8 rd. They're premium mags, flawless. Mine came with "butt pads."

Old 04-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Ran about 200 rounds through the Cobra mags this weekend with no problems. They aren't cheap, but they seem to be solid performers.

Virginia58

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
~John Wooden

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:07 AM   #17

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Cane...

Those mags by Tripp really look great! It brings up a question in my mind. I like to throw onto my belt a Desantis double Mag pouch when I'm carrying and so can carry any two mags I want. I sometimes carry my 5", but most times my New Detective.

First, I assume the "G" models will function just fine in the Defender-size 1911. So I'm just wondering if you've had any experience with the 10-rounders? The flush-welded 7-rounder "O" model is great for the gun at 3o'clock, but a couple of 10-rounders would be nice to have around.

Thanks for the heads-up about Tripp Research!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 12-01-2010, 02:13 AM   #18

I have not tried the 10 round mags. I grew up with 7 round mags and when I got the XSE with the 8+1 I really felt ready.

Going up to 10+1 doesn't appeal to me. I think they would throw off the balance I've come familiar with. I don't think you want to carry two different feed systems for PD.

If during a tactical re-load you may interrupt your OODA Loop with the mag size change.

- orangello

Old 12-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #19

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I gotcha. Muscle memory is very important. Again (I say to myself), if I need even 7 rounds it has been a VERY bad day, indeed. I can't wait to do business with Tripp. Thanks for the direction!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 12-02-2010, 12:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I gotcha. Muscle memory is very important. Again (I say to myself), if I need even 7 rounds it has been a VERY bad day, indeed. I can't wait to do business with Tripp. Thanks for the direction!
Tell Aaron canebrake said hi, and if Shari answers the phone please do the same.

Great bunch of people and a great product!

- orangello