1911 Mags
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 Mags

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Default 1911 Mags

I did try to search the forum, but either my search skills are sub par or the information is common knowledge (except to me).

I have renewed my interest in the 1911 and begun shooting my Colt Gold Cup NM more regularly. Currently, I only have (2) 8-round and (2) 7-round mags (all Colt). I would like to purchase a half dozen or so 8-round mags. My preference would be stainless to go with everything else.

Heard decent comments about the Chip McCormick, Wilson Combat, and Colt mags, but would appreciate the opinions of what to buy (and recommendations of where to buy). Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

gold-cup01.jpg  

Virginia58

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
~John Wooden

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-19-2009, 12:20 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Nice looking Colt you have there.

Wilson 47D's are some of the best that I have used, but they are pricey, and only getting worse lately. $28 to $30 a piece. They run very well though.

I have never used the Chip McCormick stuff, but from what I have heard they run very well also.

When I got my Nighthawk's they had a purchase plan where I could buy Novak Extreme Duty 1911 magazines, so I took the deal. Those damn things are perfect in both my Nighthawk's and my Kimber. They are a bit cheaper than the 47D's ( These are about $23-$25 a piece ).

BUT

And I say this with some tenderness because I know canebrake is lurking about....

Colt has a funny way of specing out their stuff. What works in a "normal" 1911, might not work worth a damn in your Colt.

So, get some Colt guys to tell you what they use and take that into consideration...

JD

Old 03-19-2009, 12:44 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks JD. You're right about mags being pricey these days. Those Wilson 47Ds look nice, $31.95 on their site. Heard nothing but good things about anything Wilson makes. One day I'd like to buy a custom 1911 from those guys, but other things are higher on the wish list.

The Colt 8-round stainless are $24.95 on CDNN. McCormick's slightly cheaper. Will wait for Cane's feedback (he should be glad to know there's one more Colt guy on the forum

Virginia58

~John Wooden

Old 03-19-2009, 04:38 AM   #4

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default 1911 mags

I'm working on a product evaluation for Tripp Research. They provided me with some of their 8 round 8R-45-RG Cobra Mags. If capacity is not an issue they have the same high quality 7 round mags.

Tripp Research, Inc.

Read the information provided on their web site. They have taken a full bore technology approach to mag development. The real difference, IMHO is they are in the business of quality magazine production. It's their only product, unlike others who make guns and oh by the way some mags to go with them.

I've got to tell you, these mags are some of the best I have run in the XSE.

I am holding off claiming them THE best until I get some more rounds downrange but after about 500 I have yet to have any problems! I have shot them just like I test any new gun I get. I start with one round, rack it to battery and shoot looking for ejection and slide stop. Next is two rounds looking for feed, eject and slide stop. This goes on up to a full mag + 1. That's 45 rounds spent for an 8 round mag test. Nearly a box of ammo to complete my test on one mag!

At this point I can tell you to get a couple of these and work them out. I'm confident you will be satisfied!

Give Sherri @ Tripp a call 1-877-837-9445 and tell her you talked to canebrake on the firearmstalk.com forum. She is extremely knowledgeable and can answer any questions you have. If you want to go straight to the horse's mouth you can ask for Virgil Tripp and he will be glad to talk tech with you. Try that at Colt, or Wilson Combat!

I need to say I have had little problem with my 8 round Colt mags for the XSE. The 7 round Colts for my Defender have given me some FTF and FTE issues.

I corrected the Defender problem with a pair of Wilson Combat 47DOXB, 8 rounders and the problem is history. That was before I discovered Tripp Research.

When I got my XSE I had ordered a Wilson Combat 500B, 8 round ETM in anticipation of problems with the stock Colt mags. I got the EMT because I have installed a mag well and wanted the larger base. I had no problems with the stock Colt mags or the WC ETM. The XSE runs well with all 45 ammo I have used including HPs.

Bottom line, when I use my engineering experience to compare the three different brand mags, the Tripp Cobra mags are hands down the best built period!

When my Defender returns from the refinisher, I will test the Tripp 8 rounder for function where the Colts had a problem. What I have experienced to date, I think they will pass my scrutiny with flying colors. At that point I will declare a winner and will more than likely buy only Cobra Mags for my Colts in the future!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 08-29-2009 at 03:20 PM.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:31 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I checked out the site and it's definitely worth giving them a call. Clean looking mags and your test results thus far are good indications. Never thought about testing mags the way you describe. I have always loaded them to capacity and fired several ammo types through to see if there were feed problems.

Thanks for the informative response. Looks like Tripp makes AR mags too.

What is it with the snakes...Cobra, Canebrake rattler?

Virginia58

~John Wooden

Old 03-19-2009, 06:47 AM   #6

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia58 View Post
I checked out the site and it's definitely worth giving them a call. Clean looking mags and your test results thus far are good indications. Never thought about testing mags the way you describe. I have always loaded them to capacity and fired several ammo types through to see if there were feed problems.

Thanks for the informative response. Looks like Tripp makes AR mags too.

What is it with the snakes...Cobra, Canebrake rattler?

Oh...you'll catch on.......soon!

My Defender Canebrake with her leather grips.

And a Canebrake (Timber) Rattler.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Once I found Tripp Research, I ordered and haven't looked back.
Sarge

Exotic wood .45 grip maker
www.thefinergrain.com

Old 03-19-2009, 06:57 PM   #8

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use the basic Chip McCormic Shooting Star mags in my Springfield.

They work flawlessly, have 8 round capacity, and are pretty cheap. I pick em up at gunshows for 20 bucks a pop, but they can be found around for a little less online I think.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #9

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I haven't had any problems with Colt mags.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:46 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I did some more research on Tripp, Wilson, Colt and McCormick mags today and gave the folks at Tripp a call. Talked to Sherry there and after a short discussion decided to give them a try. Ordered 5 mags (little price break) and should have them to try out sometime next week.

Thanks to everyone for the sage advice.

Cane - The Tripp tip seems dead on. Can't wait to try them out with several types of ammo. As for the snakes...kinda like Indiana Jones, don't like em. The only pic I can warm up to is the one that spits .45.

Virginia58

~John Wooden