Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   1911 Mag Well: Good thing? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/1911-mag-well-good-thing-71112/)

CHLChris 08-25-2012 05:08 PM

1911 Mag Well: Good thing?

QUESTION: For a range gun or Home Defense gun (NOT for carry...) is a magazine well worth the extra weight and the extra money?

Background:
I am getting ready to buy a 1911 5", probably a Springfield Armory. I decided on SA because of their superior warranty.

The Stainless Loaded would be great, at $850.

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/a...5in1911-A1.jpg

So would the Springfield Black Stainless Target Loaded, at $1000.

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/a...5_acp_1264.jpg

My question is about a mag well. They are a little heavier and cost a little money. Are they helpful? Worth the money?

mountainman13 08-25-2012 05:09 PM

Are you planning on doing tactical reload drills?

CHLChris 08-25-2012 06:12 PM

Regardless of the application, I'm just wondering what y'all think of mag wells. What are they good for? What do they hinder? What are the detractions?

Dillinger 08-25-2012 06:44 PM

I'm not a HUGE fan of the traditional, bulbous bottomed magwell. It restricts my purchase of the handle and I have somewhat big hands, so I prefer not to restrict it.

Having said that, I have an integral one built into the frame on my T3 that is more subtle and I do love doing quick reloads with it during range days.

My first 1911 was a Kimber Target II that did have the traditional thin walled handle, flat bottom and I never had any problems with reloads, speed or otherwise.

Personally I think the beveled mag well is probably something the IPSC folks started that caught interest and transitioned into the other realms of shooting.

If you like the idea, give it a try. If you don't like it, I am sure you can trade it someone else who might want to try it. ;)

JD

tacticalfun 08-25-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger
I'm not a HUGE fan of the traditional, bulbous bottomed magwell. It restricts my purchase of the handle and I have somewhat big hands, so I prefer not to restrict it.

Having said that, I have an integral one built into the frame on my T3 that is more subtle and I do love doing quick reloads with it during range days.

My first 1911 was a Kimber Target II that did have the traditional thin walled handle, flat bottom and I never had any problems with reloads, speed or otherwise.

Personally I think the beveled mag well is probably something the IPSC folks started that caught interest and transitioned into the other realms of shooting.

If you like the idea, give it a try. If you don't like it, I am sure you can trade it someone else who might want to try it. ;)

JD

How do you like your nighthawk?

Dillinger 08-25-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacticalfun (Post 915760)
How do you like your nighthawk?

I'm....I'm kind of the resident Nighthawk Spokesman here to be honest. :o

I have a GRP, a T3, a Talon II (9mm for the lady), and most recently added the AAC that I capped with an Osprey Suppressor.

Having met several of the members from Nighthawk at SHOT several years ago, their passion was very impressive.

I have shot at least a couple of offerings from just about everyone out there and I am a tried and true Nighthawk customer.

I don't like them, I LOVE THEM. :cool:

tacticalfun 08-25-2012 07:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger

I'm....I'm kind of the resident Nighthawk Spokesman here to be honest. :o

I have a GRP, a T3, a Talon II (9mm for the lady), and most recently added the AAC that I capped with an Osprey Suppressor.

Having met several of the members from Nighthawk at SHOT several years ago, their passion was very impressive.

I have shot at least a couple of offerings from just about everyone out there and I am a tried and true Nighthawk customer.

I don't like them, I LOVE THEM. :cool:

What do you think of the heinie 10mm longslide?...its either that or the heinie tactical.

Attachment 55678

Axxe55 08-25-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHLChris (Post 915735)
Regardless of the application, I'm just wondering what y'all think of mag wells. What are they good for? What do they hinder? What are the detractions?

you could try one of the MSH with the magwell attached and that way, if you didn't like it, you could always go back to the original MSH. i think Wilson Combat and Smith & Alexander have these types. check out Brownell's and MidwayUSA for them.

Dillinger 08-25-2012 07:12 PM

I have to say I have coveted it from afar. *drools* I haven't made the switch to 10mm yet because I have a ton of money invested in .45 :o

I assume that based on that picture you have one? How do you like it?

Have you seen the Costa and Bob Marvel recent additions to the offering family?

tacticalfun 08-25-2012 07:16 PM

Still waiting on its trip here :( won the auction two nights ago. Im planning on doing a full review of it in the coming weeks. Not sure how im going to enjoy the front strap stippling. Edit: have not seen the marvel. Google foo time.