Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   1911 mag question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/1911-mag-question-75604/)

jackal6 11-04-2012 01:25 AM

1911 mag question
 
i found a website that has 1911 mags for fairly cheap but im not sure about the reliability the websites called joes 1911 mag mania any info would be great

canebrake 11-04-2012 01:36 AM

Is the gun a range lizard or is it a personal defense (carry) piece?

If it's a plinker, go for it.

If you carry for PD, walk away!

jackal6 11-04-2012 01:35 AM

Personal defense, the guy at my local gun store recomended Wilson combat mags they just seem a little pricey

potentialglock 11-04-2012 01:42 AM

But in reality do u wanna skimp on something g that could pote tially save ur life? I'm not saying break the bank but don't go cheap either

Axxe55 11-04-2012 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackal6 (Post 1000952)
Personal defense, the guy at my local gun store recomended Wilson combat mags they just seem a little pricey

what price is your life worth when a cheap mag malfuctions on you at the worst possible time?

personally i use a lot of Wilson Combat mags and i know for a fact that Cane will recommend the Tripp mags. cheap is relative when it comes down to what works reliabily each and every time. please don't cheap out, as it's not worth it in the long run.

canebrake 11-04-2012 01:43 AM

If you never listen to me before, do yourself a favor and pay attention to this old man.

Get the best!

Tripp Research, Gen II Cobra Magazines (I say that because they ARE the best....and NO they don't pay me to say it!)

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ags/tri3-1.png

Tripp Research Inc. 1911 Magazines Call Aaron @ Tripp (877.837.9445) and order one. (Tell him canebrake said hi.)

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...DSCF1433-1.jpg

From L to R; Tripp Cobra, Wilson 47DOXB, Wilson ETM 500B, Tripp Cobra

Find the weld on the Tripp.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...DSCF1437-1.jpg

From L to R; Wilson 47DOXB, Wilson ETM 500B, Tripp Cobra

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...DSCF4314-2.jpg

Notice the fluid stampings of the Tripp mag on the left and right. The .45 case head sits square against the back wall of the Tripp mag, the Wilson is rounded and forces the round forward when it presents for stripping. AND, the Tripp mag feed lips are CNC finished.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...gs/TvW-1-1.jpg

This photo shows the slide stop interface. The Tripp mag on the bottom uses a hybrid follower with a metal interface where the Wilson on top uses a poly follower interface. The Wilson shows witness-marks where the slide stop engages the mag when empty. This mag is six month old and speaks volumes as to this critical area.

As a retired engineer, this is how my mind works while looking at new products. When a company makes guns and mags that go into them, the mag becomes an area where they can cut production costs. When the company only makes mags, their entire R&D budget is used on mags. Think about that!

If your 1911 mags have poly followers be sure to check them each time you load. Should this area wear out, your slide will not lock open when empty!

You asked , and I answered with the reasons why I only use Tripp Gen II Cobras for carry!

jackal6 11-04-2012 02:04 AM

Well I'm sold as soon as I have some money put away for it those are what I'm going for thank you guys, sometimes I get cuaght up in what I can and can't afford I forget whats important in the long run

RobertsDefense 11-04-2012 03:58 AM

I checked out the website and it looks like they are from Check-Mate Industries. They stamp their patent info on the base plates on their mags like the picture (although I didn't verify the patent number).

Hope that helps!

danf_fl 11-04-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackal6 (Post 1000998)
Well I'm sold as soon as I have some money put away for it those are what I'm going for thank you guys, sometimes I get cuaght up in what I can and can't afford I forget whats important in the long run

Can you afford to trust your life on the function of "iffy" magazines?

cuba 11-04-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 1000969)
If you never listen to me before, do yourself a favor and pay attention to this old man.

Get the best!

Tripp Research, Gen II Cobra Magazines (I say that because they ARE the best....and NO they don't pay me to say it!)

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ags/tri3-1.png

Tripp Research Inc. 1911 Magazines Call Aaron @ Tripp (877.837.9445) and order one. (Tell him canebrake said hi.)

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...DSCF1433-1.jpg

From L to R; Tripp Cobra, Wilson 47DOXB, Wilson ETM 500B, Tripp Cobra

Find the weld on the Tripp.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...DSCF1437-1.jpg

From L to R; Wilson 47DOXB, Wilson ETM 500B, Tripp Cobra

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...DSCF4314-2.jpg

Notice the fluid stampings of the Tripp mag on the left and right. The .45 case head sits square against the back wall of the Tripp mag, the Wilson is rounded and forces the round forward when it presents for stripping. AND, the Tripp mag feed lips are CNC finished.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...gs/TvW-1-1.jpg

This photo shows the slide stop interface. The Tripp mag on the bottom uses a hybrid follower with a metal interface where the Wilson on top uses a poly follower interface. The Wilson shows witness-marks where the slide stop engages the mag when empty. This mag is six month old and speaks volumes as to this critical area.

As a retired engineer, this is how my mind works while looking at new products. When a company makes guns and mags that go into them, the mag becomes an area where they can cut production costs. When the company only makes mags, their entire R&D budget is used on mags. Think about that!

If your 1911 mags have poly followers be sure to check them each time you load. Should this area wear out, your slide will not lock open when empty!

You asked , and I answered with the reasons why I only use Tripp Gen II Cobras for carry!

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...psa9f374bc.jpg
WHAT A PITCH !!!!!

SHOOT SAFE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND HAVE FUN


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:40 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.