Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 Love

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 1911 Love

Just wanted to mention, I have shot a Colt Delta Elite and my grandpa's old .45 service pistol. Both are among the finest weapons I've fired, reliable and accurate. I do have a question though. I'm looking to buy a Kimber, which model(s) do you guys suggest? Also, disassembling the Colt Delta Elite is something I've been practicing, so, since those are the only 1911s I've fired, can someone tell me if they all come apart in a similar fashion, which ones are harder etc.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2010, 01:14 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidalforce79 View Post
Just wanted to mention, I have shot a Colt Delta Elite and my grandpa's old .45 service pistol. Both are among the finest weapons I've fired, reliable and accurate. I do have a question though. I'm looking to buy a Kimber, which model(s) do you guys suggest? Also, disassembling the Colt Delta Elite is something I've been practicing, so, since those are the only 1911s I've fired, can someone tell me if they all come apart in a similar fashion, which ones are harder etc.
I like the Kimber Warrior, Tactical, or Eclipse.

The 3" and 4" models disassemble differently. I did not care for the little pin needed for the 4" bullbarrel.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:17 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I too do not like the need for the little pin needed to disassemble my Kimber. 1911s should have barrel bushings and field strip without tools.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:30 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
I too do not like the need for the little pin needed to disassemble my Kimber. 1911s should have barrel bushings and field strip without tools.
My next one will!

I should have got the full size from the get go. The only way to go imo.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:12 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

How would you rate a Kimber against, say a Colt 1911, or a Remington 1911?

TJ

Old 10-17-2010, 04:16 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidalforce79 View Post
How would you rate a Kimber against, say a Colt 1911, or a Remington 1911?

TJ
I have only owned the Kimber so I couldn't really say. Ask NGIB.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #7

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Kimber makes a good 1911 as does Colt. For me, the jury is still out on the Remington as it's new and I haven't owned one yet. The Remington is also an entry level gun so it's really not a good comparison with Kimber. With the exception of one, all of my 1911s are currently Springfield's as I like having no firing pin block and trigger linkage - less is better.

Personally, I think the best value in 1911s (that have bells & whistles) is the Springer Loaded, for entry level the Springer Mil-Spec...

Old 10-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The reverse-tapered barrels, with their guide rod springs, in the Kimbers, and RIA's, and maybe others, are easier to disassemble using the pin, but it's not a requirement. I've taken all my 1911-style guns apart with no tools, and re-assembled same. It's tougher without pinning the springs back, but it's doable. My Kimbers are pre-series II, and my other 1911's are all pre-series 80 with no "extra" safeties. Like most other things gun-related, it's personal preference.

There are ALWAYS trade-offs in the selection of any handgun..... I'll deal with the reverse tapered barrel in the 4" Kimber to get the shorter barrel length for carry. My 4" and 5" Colts both use bushings and no tools, but I don't carry them... or the 4" and 5" Sigs, or the DW that also need no tools.

Many of the more recent (after 1991) 1911's tend to have tighter tolerances than the original 1911's, (my opinion) and thus tend to have more feed/ejection issues. I've taken mags loaded with JHP ammo that wouldn't feed in some later 1911's, and have it feed perfectly in my old Colts.

Enjoy yer preferences.... shoot safely

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 10-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2648 Times on 1543 Posts
Likes Given: 1174

While I agree with NGIB, my 2 cents is to Keep It Simple. Start with any basic 1911, determine what you like and dislike, and accessorize to your desire.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Thank you all for the advice. My primary problem is I want a 1911 that is not terribly frustrating to disassemble. As far as shooting goes, I'd like a trigger with slightly less pull then the Delta Elite. It took me a while to get used to the trigger on the Delta when I was a kid, and I'm not good enough at this point with stripping them, to change the trigger pull(if that's even possible). So, can you guys recommend some 1911s that have a lighter trigger pull, or are they all somewhat similar?