1911 Kimber 22 LR
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 Kimber 22 LR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1911 Kimber 22 LR

Any one know about these? I am looking a used one and wanted to know how if they would be a good "Plunking" 1911.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #2

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiredhelp View Post
Any one know about these? I am looking a used one and wanted to know how if they would be a good "Plunking" 1911.
Personally, I would be very careful in regards to the "used" part of the equation. You might be buying into someone else's problems. Try to arrange a test firing session before ponying up the cash. If the seller will not agree, I would pass on it. There are .22 semi auto pistols that will cost a lot less than a Kimber 1911 platform.

If you want to plink with .22, I would look at other platforms that are less expensive (New in box), and are just as economical and fun. Ruger, Browning, S&W, Walther, etc. all offer dedicated, accurate and reliable .22 semi-autos.

I have some experience with the Colt Ace and a Ceiner conversion. The Colt ran well, (on a government receiver), but was a little finicky, the Ceiner was a jam-o-matic right out of the box (mounted on a Kimber Custom II receiver).

Good luck with your purchase

Last edited by crockett007; 03-03-2010 at 11:00 PM.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:35 PM   #3

I have a kimber conv on a Kimber Custom II. Love mine works very well. I have heard complaints from other people about the Kimber 22 conv. having problems with the hammer hitting the bottom of the rear sight on other platforms like the taurus and springfield. However there are other 22 conv if you want to go that route. If you are looking for and extremely accurate 22 conv. you might want to look into the Marvel conversion kit. People have said it is very close if not equal to high standard accuracys. Wilson combat also makes a 22 conv as well. You may also consider the ruger 22/45 for a little extra money. It was designed as a practice gun for the 1911, as they have the same angle and grips as the 1911. I have one of these too. In my opinion the best 22 rimfire pistol hands down for the money.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 03-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #4

Had not even thought of the Ruger, I will look at these. Thanks......

Old 03-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #5

I recsently bought a Chiapppa 1911-22. It was under $300.00 out the door. I have taken it to the range and had good luk with it. I would check them out for yourself. Here is a link

Chiappa Firearms

Old 03-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #6

I did open their site and read about them. It is their claim that they are made here in the USA. Did you find that to be a correct statement when you got your Chiappa home? I am old enough to remember many things and I make a point to purchase items built in the United States. Just call me finicky or picky, but this is the way I do it.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiredhelp View Post
I did open their site and read about them. It is their claim that they are made here in the USA. Did you find that to be a correct statement when you got your Chiappa home? I am old enough to remember many things and I make a point to purchase items built in the United States. Just call me finicky or picky, but this is the way I do it.
This directly off their website.

The Corporate headquarters, located in Brescia, Italy includes a 70,000 sq. ft building which is home for the administrative offices, design & engineering, and manufacturing of the Chiappa product line.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 03-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #8

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

No .22 conversion for the 1911 will be as reliable as a dedicated .22 pistol. I've owned a Kimber conversion and it worked OK but I preferred shooting my dedicated .22s (Ruger, Sig, & S&W)...

Old 03-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

my advice is go through a major distributer when dealing with conversion kits. i just got a ciener 1911-A1 kit from midway and had to return it as it did not fit my springfield 1911-A1. i had no problems returning it to midway. if i had of gonna through that jerk ciener directly i would be out the money with a kit i couldnt use.

i have the kimber kit as well and it works fine. havent found any ammo it doesnt like. the only problem with the kimbers is it does not work with mil-spec hammers. altho it does work with the ciener 15 round magazines.

go through someone like midway for any conversion kits taht way if it doesnt fit your particuler gun you can return it.