Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   1911 and Holster w/thumb break (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/1911-holster-w-thumb-break-86004/)

DoyleTheDog 03-07-2013 06:10 PM

1911 and Holster w/thumb break

Here's a question to anyone that carries or has carried a 1911 in a holster that has a thumb break.

Do you find it necessary to engage the thumb safety while your gun is holstered?

I ask because every time I snap the thumb break closed it flips my safety off. I figure it's still safe since the thumb break itself is actually blocking the path of the hammer. Also the 1911 has the grip safety.

Any input or advice is appreciated.

danf_fl 03-07-2013 06:25 PM

Do you have an extended thumb safety and was the holster designed for that?
Or was the holster designed for the original thumb safety?

blindshooter 03-07-2013 06:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The Kimber is close but the Colt has plenty of clearance.
Maybe get another holster or just trust the grip safety.

DoyleTheDog 03-07-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1167421)
Do you have an extended thumb safety and was the holster designed for that?
Or was the holster designed for the original thumb safety?

No extended thumb safety on the R1. It's just a tight squeeze when closing the thumb break, and eventually it works the safety back down. I'd post pics but I'm at work right now.

DoyleTheDog 03-07-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindshooter (Post 1167434)
The Kimber is close but the Colt has plenty of clearance.
Maybe get another holster or just trust the grip safety.

That holster doesn't have a thumb break. I'm talking about one that does.

Brennan16 03-08-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoyleTheDog

That holster doesn't have a thumb break. I'm talking about one that does.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the pics. I have a thumb break holster for my 5906 and run with safety off but it's a DA/SA pistol unlike a 1911.

blindshooter 03-08-2013 12:44 AM

My bad:D:D:D:D

danf_fl 03-08-2013 10:58 AM

My one thumb break is designed for the shorter, original thumb safety. That is no problem for the 1911 I use it for.

My other holsters are for the extended safety.

I do not like the idea of relying on grip safety alone when carrying with one in the chamber.

Another thought is to replace the spring in the tube and see if that may stiffen the safety lever.

HOSSFLY 03-08-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoyleTheDog (Post 1167411)
Here's a question to anyone that carries or has carried a 1911 in a holster that has a thumb break.

Do you find it necessary to engage the thumb safety while your gun is holstered?

I ask because every time I snap the thumb break closed it flips my safety off. I figure it's still safe since the thumb break itself is actually blocking the path of the hammer. Also the 1911 has the grip safety.

Any input or advice is appreciated.

Thats what i use--
Depends on the holster, i've had some that the gun has to be cocked 'n locked for the strap to snap but didn't effect the TS (ambi & extended) - One i use most can be used cocked or hammer down. I'd find another holster--You want that safety on while drawing the weapon-----