Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   1911 Holster (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/1911-holster-96765/)

MOshooter 09-09-2013 12:53 PM

1911 Holster

I'm in the market for a couple holsters for a 1911 pistol. The 2 types of holsters I am interested are a IWB and a OWB holsters that will fit the commander length 4.25 inch barrel,the OWB holster I would like for it to be able to accept either the 4.25 barrel as well as the standard 5 inch barrel.

What brand holster do you use,what are your likes and dislikes of certain brands and types of holsters for the 1911s. Looking forward to members comments and opinions on this topic.

Thanks

Olympus 09-09-2013 01:17 PM

Where in MO are you?

The big name companies make good holsters, but I prefer to use custom holster makers. Steven Kelley Gun Leather and Adams Leather Works are my two favorite.

MOshooter 09-09-2013 01:28 PM

Olympus,
I live in the central part of the state near Columbia,MO.,what part of the state do you live?

Thanks for the input on holsters,are these holster makers in Missouri?

sc00ts 09-09-2013 01:35 PM

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/1911-holster-84643/

Lots of reviews in that thread. I have a crossbreed supertuck. It's a great holster. I would definitely recommend it. Only downside is they are expensive and you can bet on at least a 2 month wait to get it. They are hand made to order.

Overkill0084 09-09-2013 01:37 PM

For OWB, I have a cheap Uncle Mike's that works OK. Probably not what your looking for, though.
For IWB, I have a Theis. Canebrake recommended them. Mine fits my full sized 1911s as well as my CCO (4.25). They are a pretty good deal considering the level of quality.

MOshooter 09-09-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc00ts (Post 1365898)
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/1911-holster-84643/

Lots of reviews in that thread. I have a crossbreed supertuck. It's a great holster. I would definitely recommend it. Only downside is they are expensive and you can bet on at least a 2 month wait to get it. They are hand made to order.

sc00ts thanks for the link and supertuck suggestion...Looks like I have some research to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overkill0084 (Post 1365901)
For OWB, I have a cheap Uncle Mike's that works OK. Probably not what your looking for, though.
For IWB, I have a Theis. Canebrake recommended them. Mine fits my full sized 1911s as well as my CCO (4.25). They are a pretty good deal considering the level of quality.

Overkill0084 thanks for the suggestions,I actually have a Uncle Mikes OWB holster that I packed a Para Ordnance p14-45...I think i'm looking for a leather OWB this time.
Thanks, I will check out Canebrakes suggested IWB holster.

Thanks again

JonM 09-09-2013 10:24 PM

ive got a blackhawk serpa holster. i would prefer the one without the lock. i also really like the springfield gear holsters.

not a fan of iwb holsters.

i dont care for leather ccw holsters they soak sweat and salt and thats a bad combo on guns.

all just personal pref

Fathead00 09-09-2013 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MOshooter
I'm in the market for a couple holsters for a 1911 pistol. The 2 types of holsters I am interested are a IWB and a OWB holsters that will fit the commander length 4.25 inch barrel,the OWB holster I would like for it to be able to accept either the 4.25 barrel as well as the standard 5 inch barrel.

What brand holster do you use,what are your likes and dislikes of certain brands and types of holsters for the 1911s. Looking forward to members comments and opinions on this topic.

Thanks

I love my N82 Pro Tactical IWB!!!! Here's a pic of my holster and don't mind the other firearm in the pic.;):)

Attachment 117830

limbkiller 09-09-2013 10:49 PM

To get a good holster you will have to spend some money. $100+. Anything else will not work just the way it is. There is a reason they cost money, they are worth it.

Exodus and milt sparks are GREAT IWB holsters.

MOshooter 09-10-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1366492)
ive got a blackhawk serpa holster. i would prefer the one without the lock. i also really like the springfield gear holsters.

not a fan of iwb holsters.

i dont care for leather ccw holsters they soak sweat and salt and thats a bad combo on guns.

all just personal pref

Jon thanks for your input and experiences along with your chosen preferences,looks like I have a lot of research to do :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathead00 (Post 1366505)
I love my N82 Pro Tactical IWB!!!! Here's a pic of my holster and don't mind the other firearm in the pic.;):)

Attachment 117830

Fathead thanks for chiming in with your holster preferences ,looks like a nice rig...Haha on the other firearm,I have one of those same brands also ;)

Thanks again

Quote:

Originally Posted by limbkiller (Post 1366529)
To get a good holster you will have to spend some money. $100+. Anything else will not work just the way it is. There is a reason they cost money, they are worth it.

Exodus and milt sparks are GREAT IWB holsters.

Limbkiller I really appreciate your input preferences and experience with 1911 holsters.

Looks like I have a lot of reading and web sites to visit before purchasing a holster rig.

Thanks again everyone for the helpful information.