1911 and hollow points - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 and hollow points

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've had a pt1911 and i use some jewlers rouge to polish my feed ramp and slide rails after that I didn't have any probs with the gun but i alway shot federal out of if and federal seemed to do very well in the gun either or fmj's or hp
"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off!" - Dirty Harry

Old 03-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #32

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Seconded.

Wear and tear on any moving part is going to happen, but I kind of doubt it's going to happen so quick as to NOT be noticed by an active enthusiast.

I don't think you are in any danger Goju....
I didn't think so. I really like the wilson 47d's. I also have two kimber mags that seem to work pretty well.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #33

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I didn't think so. I really like the wilson 47d's. I also have two kimber mags that seem to work pretty well.
If you shoot occassionally, like most of us, and you check your stuff when you are cleaning, the chances of a sudden, catastrophic failure are pretty small.

I think you will be A-ok. Just keep an eye on your gear and replace anything that is worn or looking like it may be getting in sad shape. The same you would do with your shoes or your gloves.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:29 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Is your issue FTF while stripping the first round after reload?

If this is the case are you seating the rounds after loading the mag? I tap the back of the mag against my weak side palm after loading to seat the rounds flat and uniform to the mag.

Thanks for the tip Cane, works like a charm.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #35

Some firearms need a break-in period. I generally will run 500 rounds thru a firearm and then if there are consistent failures and if so will have a competent gunsmith evaluate the problem. Sometimes it may be the magazine, other times the ammunition or it could be that the firearm is faulty. Most major brand firearm companies will service your new purchase at no charge other than the cost to ship it to them overnight air. My Kimber custom II had failures to feed with quality reloads with the first two hundred rounds but switching to Winchester white box they ran fine. After a thousand rounds, there were no issues with the quality reloads feeding properly and still do at 20,000+ rounds. My Springfield had one failure to feed in the first 500 rounds and has yet to repeat this problem.

CSSDSD Instructor
ASP Instructor
ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
NRA Instructor

Jacobe Group LLC

Old 03-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #36

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
Some firearms need a break-in period. I generally will run 500 rounds thru a firearm and then if there are consistent failures and if so will have a competent gunsmith evaluate the problem. .
'Gunsavy,' my advice is polish nothing. Just keep on shooting it with hardball. The more grungy the ammo the better. My experience is somewhere around bullet #1,000 you will notice that the feedramp is now polished to the precise angle needed. Try your hollowpoints then. Different people like different things. Most of my 1911s have Colt magazines. There are some convex followers in some, but that is for when I shoot the semi-wadcutter ammo (which also feeds well in the more used pistols that long ago passed 2,500 rounds).