1911 and hollow points - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 and hollow points

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Also this might be really trivial, but there has been occasions my mag has not lock up correctly. A quick tap with the palm if the hand to to th bottom of the mag fixes this. At some point you might want to look into some different strength recoil strings as well. I have to switch my springs with certain ammo, especially reloads to cycle properly. Take a note as to how far the brass is thrown from your gun when it is functioning correctly. When your brass starts flying to the next county or your slide is not locking up correctly these are good indicators that you have a worn spring.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 03-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #22

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default followers in mags

first off thanks everyone for your help. I'm going to try to shoot some more rounds.plus it seems that when i let the slide sling forward with its own weight it feeds better, i was only having trouble with the first round feeding. It could be the mag or the fact that i havent shot it much, but will do so before is cc the gun. Although I do have another ? to me it seems like it would cause less friction to have a plactic follower than a metal but i noticed some of the better brands have metal (which is better.?) Btw two extra mags came with the taurus for total of 4 the 2 extra i think are chip m shooting stars cuz the shooting star emblem is at the top of the follower not (sure)

Old 03-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #23

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

gunsavy, I have merged the two threads since some of the folks might not remember you were the one in this thread and question what gun you were talking about.

As to your mag question, in my experience:

I have used both and feel that the mags with the metal followers are generally better constructed than the ones without. That said, Cane's favorite mags the Tripps Research, have a hybrid of metal and polymer follower.

As long as the weapon will feed the ammo from the magazine, I don't personally think either one is better than the other one. If the magazine is metal, you don't really have to worry about dropping it on the concrete on the run & stepping on it or anything, so I think either follower would work just fine IF it feeds the ammo correctly.

Best of luck!

JD

Old 03-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

thank you for your speedy reply and sorry about that whole message thing.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsavy View Post
thank you for your speedy reply and sorry about that whole message thing.
Not to sweat bro, that is why we are here.

If we only had 20 members the guys would probably remember you, but since we have a ton of open threads about gun advice, I could see some questions developing.. LOL

Nothing to worry about.

JD

Old 03-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #26

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

This is one of the many reasons I use Tripp Research mags.

The follower is a critical component in the safe operation of your 1911. When the mag is empty the follower contacts the slide stop and locks it back to signal the shooter the gun is empty.

Many of today’s magazine manufacturers use an all-poly follower which interfaces with the metal slide stop. Yes they wear and yes they fail to lock-back the slide and in a PD situation, have the shooter pulling the trigger on an empty gun.

Here you can see the Wilson ETM mag on the top with a poly-follower. (Note the witness mark where it contacts the slide stop.)

The bottom is a Tripp Research Gen II Cobra mag with their hybrid follower.

I will only use Cobra mags when carrying.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Yes they wear and yes they fail to lock-back the slide and in a PD situation, have the shooter pulling the trigger on an empty gun.
After how many rounds would they wear?

Would this be an iissue for competetion shooters only or just average shooters like me?

Do competetion shooters ONLY use tripp research mags?

Old 03-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
After how many rounds would they wear?

Would this be an iissue for competetion shooters only or just average shooters like me?

Do competetion shooters ONLY use tripp research mags?
It should take quite a few rounds (though I couldn't tell you how many).

It will be an issue for any shooter sooner or later. The more you shoot, the sooner the issue.

Just inspect your mags (and your gun, for that matter) periodically. I didn't used to do that, and I had this problem arise (though on a non-1911 platform). Now that I know what to look for, I look over all my magazines (whatever platform) occasionally, looking for wear.

This isn't something that's likely to come up all of a sudden. The follower isn't going to wear down some imperceptible fraction of an inch and then all of a sudden make your gun stop working. It's kind of like watching the tread on your tires. You see a little wear. You see some more. Then you see enough that you know you should take care of it.

I don't know about all brands of magazines, but I bought two followers, and as I recall, that cost me five or six bucks.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 03-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #29

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I have over 2 dozen mags that I use in my 1911s so I doubt any one of them sees the kind of use that would wear down the follower. I suppose if you used a single mag all the time it would be a different story...

Old 03-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I have over 2 dozen mags that I use in my 1911s so I doubt any one of them sees the kind of use that would wear down the follower. I suppose if you used a single mag all the time it would be a different story...
Seconded.

Wear and tear on any moving part is going to happen, but I kind of doubt it's going to happen so quick as to NOT be noticed by an active enthusiast.

I don't think you are in any danger Goju....