1911 and hollow points - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 and hollow points

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
honestly you don't need hollow points in a .45. I run fmj through mine. You don't need expansion with a bullit that size like you do with other smaller calibers.
So you don't like making a bigger hole if you can? My HST's expand to .996" (that's the largest I've personally measured)....just saying.

I'm going to support trying some new mags first. I hate to hear you're having some feed issues but take it one step at a time and you'll get it worked out.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #12

Quote:
honestly you don't need hollow points in a .45. I run fmj through mine. You don't need expansion with a bullit that size like you do with other smaller calibers.
I would tend to disagree with this.

Averages.

.45 ball 11.2mm

9mm HST 15.8mm with the largest of the test at 19.4mm

.45 HST 19.3mm with the largest of the test at 24.4mm

Yeah, YMMV

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 02-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5681 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 376

Quote:
i disagree also. while FMJ is my bullet of choice when im out hunting pigs in south texas due to needed extra penetration of pig meat as a backup weapon. hollow points are what i use for home defense.

i use 230grn speer or hydrashok whichever is available when it comes time to rebuy my defense rounds. ( i shoot the old ones atthe begining of each year and buy fresh ones. ) 230grn is 230grn whether it expands or not the extra oomph a HP round can give by making a bigger bleed channel cannot be forsaken worse case you got a .45 hole best case you got a MUCH bigger one. with FMJ you only get .45

my springfield 1911-A1 will chamber everything from full wadcutters to 230grn FMJ i havent found a bullet yet it wont run.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:46 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was always under the impression you weren't suppose to use fmj to carry although I do wonder when stocking up on ammo do u spend all ur money on defensive or whatever you can get, I would think whatever you can get.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsavy View Post
I was always under the impression you weren't suppose to use fmj to carry although I do wonder when stocking up on ammo do u spend all ur money on defensive or whatever you can get, I would think whatever you can get.
For practice ammo, I buy whatever is cheap and available.

For my personal defense ammo, I buy several boxes ( 6 to 10 whatever I can find and afford ) from the same lot, same time of manufacture. I shoot 2 or 3 boxes of it for function and reliability, then store the rest in loaded mags in or near the weapon and a box or two in the safe.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #16

Ok obviously putting a big hole is a whole lot of fun. I actually used Cor Bon Dpx solid copper hollow points when I am hunting. Not because of expansion, though I agree it has much better killing power, as much as velocity. I use this because it will shoot a 45 over 1000fps. Now I use a 460 rowland that shoots 45 at 1400fps. This makes a whole lot of sense to me for hunting. However when I am practice or load for defense I use the fmj. Granted your hollowpoints will undoubtalbe will do more damage than your fmj. But this is the whole point. I want to effectivley stop an attacker, though I might kill him in the process. I am not trying flat out kill him. Fmj does plenty of damage because it is a big slow moving bullit. Unlike a 9mm. I would use a hollow point in a 9mm because not only is it a smaller caliber, but it has much higher velocity. If you don't use a hollow point you risk shooting clean threw the attacker and not effectively stopping him. This is not the case of a 45.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 02-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #17

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Granted your hollowpoints will undoubtalbe will do more damage than your fmj. But this is the whole point. I want to effectivley stop an attacker, though I might kill him in the process. I am not trying flat out kill him. Fmj does plenty of damage because it is a big slow moving bullit. Unlike a 9mm. I would use a hollow point in a 9mm because not only is it a smaller caliber, but it has much higher velocity. If you don't use a hollow point you risk shooting clean threw the attacker and not effectively stopping him. This is not the case of a 45.
UM, bubba, hold my beer for a sec.

I do plan on killing my attacker if the situation calls for it. Im no blood thirst sociopath, but dead badguy is the end result.

As for HP vs FMJ. how many times have you seen a starndard factory 9mm fmj run through 12" of meat? this isnt going to happen regularly in 9mm, 40, 45.......Maybe 357, 10mm, 44......

Youd be an idiot not to carry a HP load designed for maximum expansion and energy transfer.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 03-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #18

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You guy's do understand the OP has a FTF issue, not a why use HP's!

Slow down Buckaroo! Don't start modifying a "new" gun with only 100 rounds down the pipe!

Is your issue FTF while stripping the first round after reload?

If this is the case are you seating the rounds after loading the mag? I tap the back of the mag against my weak side palm after loading to seat the rounds flat and uniform to the mag.

If your issue is FTF with rounds other than the first, be sure you're still slapping the mag but my guess is that you should run several hundred more Hardball through her for some additional break-in.

If it continues to FTF, get yourself a couple of premium mags (Tripp Gen II Cobra are THE best!) and that should clear up your problem. (Or just go out and buy a Colt!)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 03-01-2010 at 05:01 PM.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
UM, bubba, hold my beer for a sec.

I do plan on killing my attacker if the situation calls for it. Im no blood thirst sociopath, but dead badguy is the end result.

As for HP vs FMJ. how many times have you seen a starndard factory 9mm fmj run through 12" of meat? this isnt going to happen regularly in 9mm, 40, 45.......Maybe 357, 10mm, 44......

Youd be an idiot not to carry a HP load designed for maximum expansion and energy transfer.
hate to burst your bubble but a 9mm fmj and a 40 fmj will shoot threw a person and still be lethal.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #20

9mm penetration.

9mm Corbon vs FMJ ammo in ballistic gel | Guns Lot