Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 and hollow points

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default 1911 and hollow points

Well bought my first 1911 I have only shot about 100 rounds through it but notice hps don't feed well and thats just chambering a round. I have been reading all day about this and now know it not just or the type I bought (Taurus) I'm considering polishing the feed ramp fmjs feed great as well as corbon pwr ball but I don't want to tied to one type of ammo. And are fmjs really that bad . Any sugg thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #2

honestly you don't need hollow points in a .45. I run fmj through mine. You don't need expansion with a bullit that size like you do with other smaller calibers.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 02-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #3

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Have you tried more than one type of HP ammo? I have a few different 1911's around here and some like one brand more than another. My Taurus does not like Cor Bon ammo at all while my Springfield loves it. My Para LTC is not a fan of Hydro Shok ammo. Some weapons just seem to like one type over another.

Polishing the feed ramp helps a lot of the time (I've done it to most mine) but I always like to get a few different types of ammo to see how it will like brand X over brand Y

Old 02-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #4

Also be carefull when polishing the ramp. Don't take off material, change the angle of the ramp, or round off the top of the ramp. This could be hazardous to you health.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 02-27-2010, 07:28 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Try different magazines. My 1911 will feed anything now that I bought some quality mags.

Last edited by suprdave; 02-27-2010 at 07:35 PM.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #6

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
Also be carefull when polishing the ramp. Don't take off material, change the angle of the ramp, or round off the top of the ramp. This could be hazardous to you health.
+1

I used a jewelers rouge on a soft cloth and wrapped it around a pencil. That way I could rub in the direction the round travels. I hear of people using a Dremel or the like and I wont say that's bad. But you have to be pretty careful when doing things like that.

Oh..and the mag post is a good idea. Some have had troubles with the mags that come with a PT1911

Old 02-27-2010, 11:57 PM   #7

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
+1

I hear of people using a Dremel or the like and I wont say that's bad. But you have to be pretty careful when doing things like that.
A Dremel tool around ANY firearm is a BAD IDEA unless you are a qualified gunsmith. You risk damage to your firearm and, more importantly, damage to YOURSELF or others around you!

Old 02-28-2010, 12:09 AM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

If your 1911 isn't feeding hollowpoints then the first thing to try is a couple of new magazines, from different makers, BEFORE you do ANY modifications to the weapon.

I have yet to see a 1911, even a "interwebz diagnosed problematic" Taurus ( I don't believe that title ), that can't feed multiple ammo types and makes without issue. Now, occassionally you might get a bad factory mag, or a mag that does not give you the angle you need to slide up the ramp and into the chamber.

The first step is to try a couple of easy fixes, like different ammo and different magazines even before you take it to a gunsmith who can diagnose what might, or might not, be wrong with your new weapon.

Best of luck, but personally I would try a couple of new Wilson 47D's, Chip McCormick's, Tripps or other quality aftermarket magazines before you go attacking the feed ramp.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 02-28-2010 at 12:32 AM. Reason: clarity

Old 02-28-2010, 12:29 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome to the FTF community. Different mags and a little discreet polishing of the feedramp will work wonders. Just remember, it's called polishing the feedramp for a reason. Fine rubbing compound and a cloth will do it. Do not go near the pistol with a power tool or file or even emory cloth.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-28-2010, 01:44 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I wouldnt dare try it myself I know my mechanical limits