1911 help - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 12:40 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1432 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Get a Colt Lightweight Combat Commander:

Here's a few:

Colt Combat Commander S' 70 Nickel : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Colt Combat Commander 1911 45 acp LNIB $1 NR : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Colt Combat Commander 1991 1911 45ACP : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

COLT COMBAT COMMANDER Series 70 Nickel Finish : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-29-2010, 05:29 AM   #12

Liked 212 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 298

Does anyone know of any gunsmiths that I can ship my firearm to to have that work done? There's not a lot of people around here that do that and the one I talked to said that it would be a waste of money to have the slide to frame fit done. He said it would be pointless and that it still not help with accuracy as much as one would think. He said that with the Armscor handguns the accuracy is too expensive to fix.

I can get ok groups out of it now. I would love to tighten them done a bit. Out of the 15 rounds in the magazine I can keep the ten best around five inches or so (give or take an inch). I would like for it to be a little more accurate and to be tighter (it is so loose now it rattles when you turn it from side to side). I would also like to have a new extractor spring put in because it stove pipes sometimes and sometimes it won't pull the fired casing out of the chamber.

Is this too much or would you just buy a new weapon? I want to keep this one if it won't cost too much to fix because the grip is big and I have HUGE hands. Thanks and I hope this isn't too many questions.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:48 AM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3274 Times on 1885 Posts
Likes Given: 1397

Anyone who has a 1911 would benefit by purchasing Kuhnhausen's books on the 1911. Brownells.com has them in stock. Well worth the price and will give a couple of hints on how things can be tweaked.
Just tightening the slide alone will give some improvement, the trick is to get the barrel to align with the sights after every shot. A new bushing, checking the link, check the barrel lugs, etc... will help.
I've even seen where someone put a series 70 bushing (the one with the fingers) into a Springer with a tapered barrel and tightened up groups. (Though they have a habit of breaking on straight barrels.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-29-2010, 05:21 PM   #14

Liked 212 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 298

I will look in to those books. I just went out and shot it again and tightened the groups up quite a by simply shooting Isosceles stance instead of Weaver if that makes any sense. I seen something on Handguns T.V. that said with bigger frame handguns it will help if you shoot that way instead of Weaver, which I usually shoot.

Anyone out there a gunsmith that can help me out with the upgrades that I would like to have done? I would love to talk to someone. Just P.M. me if you can fix it.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #15

Liked 24 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
I will look in to those books. I just went out and shot it again and tightened the groups up quite a by simply shooting Isosceles stance instead of Weaver if that makes any sense. I seen something on Handguns T.V. that said with bigger frame handguns it will help if you shoot that way instead of Weaver, which I usually shoot.

Anyone out there a gunsmith that can help me out with the upgrades that I would like to have done? I would love to talk to someone. Just P.M. me if you can fix it.
One of our resident gunsmiths resides in the same state you do. Shoot StalkingBear a PM...

Old 06-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #16

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Casey,

I would shoot it first before making any slide tightening moves. My two Colt's are loosy goosy from the factory, and I like them that way. I concentrated on barrel/bushing and lock up improvements. These two Colt's shoot really well. You will get a lot of opinions on whether you need to tighten your slide.

Don't want to flame the Taurus team, but, I would look elsewhere....?

Not trying to sway you either way, but, I've seen ultra tight race guns fail in matches after they get gummed up. If the rattle bothers you, well, that's another story, but, IMHO you don't gain that much in the accuracy department by reducing slide to rail tolerances.

Shoot it first dude, then make your decision on what you really need to do to the pistol.

regards,

Steve

Old 06-30-2010, 12:42 AM   #17

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you're dead set on tightening the slide/frame fit I could do that for you if you bring it here to Marion co.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!