1911 Hammer fact or fiction?? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 Hammer fact or fiction??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #41
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 264 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus

You and me both. Try to help a new guy out and you get smart@$$ lip. I just might give up trying to convince people to use some common sense for a while. I might turn lurker for a while.
Don't give up fellas, we need ya!

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #42

Liked 516 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
You and me both. Try to help a new guy out and you get smart@$$ lip. I just might give up trying to convince people to use some common sense for a while. I might turn lurker for a while.
You got that right. The OP seems to have a chip on his shoulder....

Old 01-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #43

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyshot View Post

You got that right. The OP seems to have a chip on his shoulder....
Nope jist trying to get some info didn't want to hear how the guy was an idiot or how dumb that is. Just wanted ti figure out what reason if any you would do that. But thanks for your 2 cents. Always good from a "new guy" as they put it.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:16 AM   #44
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21983 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullseyePrecision View Post
Nope jist trying to get some info didn't want to hear how the guy was an idiot or how dumb that is. Just wanted ti figure out what reason if any you would do that. But thanks for your 2 cents. Always good from a "new guy" as they put it.
Bullseye, the guy in the gun store is an idiot. the world is full of them. what he spouts off as "knowledge" might impress those who have no knowledge of firearms.

think about it this way. how can you damage something when it does it everytime it's fired?
Old 01-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #45

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoertz

Don't give up fellas, we need ya!
Couldn't tell it by sum lately---

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #46

Liked 62 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Lots of spoor getting dumped on some anonymous clerk! Yes, what he said was incorrect (probably something he got from some other source) and the OP was wise enough to check here to make sure of his personal knowledge. I think we sometimes assume that everybody who works at a gun shop or shooting range has a vast amount of firearms knowledge resting between their ears and that just isn't the reality of things. Heck, I once had a clerk at a Cabela's gun counter who didn't know the difference between single and double action (a trainee, I think/hope). This fellow was obviously ignorant but ignorance is curable with knowledge; but as Ron White points out, "There ain't no cure for stupid!"

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

People Like This 
Old 01-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #47

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Watch some of the Wilson Combat videos on 1911 maintenance and you will often see the gunsmith cock the hammer back before cycling the slide to the rear and lining up the disassembly notch. I would assume that a gunsmith that works for Wilson Combat knows more about 1911's than the counter jockey at the local gun store and would not demonstrate a method that was detrimental to the pistol as part of a gun maintenance video.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Reality, the clerk knew not of what he spoke (short form: BS).

I work in a LGS and I know what I know and more importantly, I know what I don't know. If I don't know the answer to a question I check with one of the other guys in the shop that has that info running around his brain pan.

Too many folks THINK they are experts and insist they know everything. We have one of those. Nothing like mis-information to mess with a customer's mind. They walk away with what they thought was gospel and spread it further when it should only be spread on a field.

Sorry for the rant, but it hit a sore point, ignorance is fixable, stupidity in the face of fact is not and with some folks that are convinced of their infallibility, they just can't be taught.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.
People Like This