Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 Hammer fact or fiction??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Well if thousands of people did it, I'd jump too. The bodies would stack up and soften the landing.

Really. There are a lot of sandy clitties around FTF lately. I'm about to twist some ****ing vacation time.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #32

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullseyePrecision View Post
I also heard from a gun smith that dropping the hammer down manually will wear on the sear.
These parts are made of metal. They are made to work thousands and thousands of times. I guess if you sat around and did it a LOT...Like a lot!!!there might e some kind of wear issue. I can't say it's impossible. But it is very improbable.

Quote:
So the consesus is that it doesn't hurt to manually cock or decock the hammer.
Correct...

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #33

Liked 59 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
If those thousand people jumped off a cliff would it be right? People are mis informed everyday.
Yes, people are misinformed everyday - but Olympus' point was that if thousands upon thousands of people practice something that was actually harmful to their firearm then there would be thousands of damages done that would require thousands of repairs. Then, everyone would learn the practice was harmful and not to repeat the harmful activity (just exactly like, in your analogy, those folks "jumping of a cliff" would learn that the ones before them perished and thus not to repeat that behavior).

If the guy at the gunstore said that pulling back on the slide to cock the hammer was not harmful yet thumb cocking the same hammer was somehow harmful, I would love to hear his explaination of how one was and one was not harmful when both actions mechanically perform the exact identical task.

The firing of a live round and the very rapid motion of the slide to cock the hammer (compared to either of these two methods above - thumb cocking or by hand manually racking the slide back to cock) is a far, far more violent action to perform the same task. But the firearm is designed to withstand that so either of the ways above (by hand) would logically do nothing harmful.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #34

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartwatkins View Post
If the guy at the gunstore said that pulling back on the slide to cock the hammer was not harmful yet thumb cocking the same hammer was somehow harmful, I would love to hear his explaination of how one was and one was not harmful when both actions mechanically perform the exact identical task..
I'm hoping the next time I go he is there so I can have him elaborate on why it is harmful.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #35
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2555 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Another dumbazz who happens to have a job in a gun store. He is just stupid. I would ask to speak to the manager/owner and point out the ignorance of his employee. If the owner/manager is that stupid too? Don't go back. Life is too short to associate with ignorance.

Imagine a car salesman that told you it causes excessive wear to stop a car when backing before shifting to drive. "It is far better for the car to slam it in drive and tear off down the road." You would not buy a car from that guy, would you?

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Another dumbazz who happens to have a job in a gun store. He is just stupid. I would ask to speak to the manager/owner and point out the ignorance of his employee. If the owner/manager is that stupid too? Don't go back. Life is too short to associate with ignorance.

Imagine a car salesman that told you it causes excessive wear to stop a car when backing before shifting to drive. "It is far better for the car to slam it in drive and tear off down the road." You would not buy a car from that guy, would you?
If it was the cheapest around I would by it but would stay away from that shop for repairs or anything else lol.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #37

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Well if thousands of people did it, I'd jump too. The bodies would stack up and soften the landing.

Really. There are a lot of sandy clitties around FTF lately. I'm about to twist some ****ing vacation time.
You and me both. Try to help a new guy out and you get smart@$$ lip. I just might give up trying to convince people to use some common sense for a while. I might turn lurker for a while.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #38
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 250 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Just yesterday evening on Doug Koenigs TV show it was mentioned that he dry fires his pistols 20,000+ times per year (yes, twenty thousand). If a multiple times world and national champion says it can be done, that's enough for
me!

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
Just yesterday evening on Doug Koenigs TV show it was mentioned that he dry fires his pistols 20,000+ times per year (yes, twenty thousand). If a multiple times world and national champion says it can be done, that's enough for
me!
Ya dry firing is a good practice for muscle memory

Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #40

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm

What if it's a manual? Lol