1911 Guru's needed on this
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 Guru's needed on this

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default 1911 Guru's needed on this

Hey all, Found a Used Springfield .45 at the shop today. Compact model. Checkered grips with U.S. part of the engraving. Bushingless barrel. No holster wear marks. No bells and whistles. Standard trigger/hammer. No beavertail. Sights non adjustable with VERY small rear sight notch. Everything looked good. Well lubed. Mag had very little wear marks.

For 549 plus tax.. Felt GREAT in the hand. But wanted to ask someone who knows more than I if this sounds like a good deal.

Didn't leave empty handed though. Got some BVAC 115 gr. JHP 9mm rounds. 1000 for $229.00.. The PMC FMJ were the same price so I opted for the JHP's.

Thanks for any help on the .45.. Yes, Dillinger.. I change my mind more than a woman as you pointed out..

Gunpowder Addict For 40 Years Now

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-19-2010, 12:26 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Im not one of these "GURUS" your asking for, but it was a 1911 without a beavertail, and no barrel bushing?

Old 05-19-2010, 12:58 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That pistol is a smaller version of the Springfield Mil-Spec(GI) and is supposedly a nice handgun. It is basically a compact standard military styled no frills 1911A1. Zero bells, zero whistles. No beavertail, no extended doo dads...just a solid built basic 1911.

I have a fullsize Mil-Spec and it has never given me a seconds problem. Ever. I recommend Springfield...

I want to be a ball turret gunner.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2866 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Some 1911's do have a bushingless barrel, and I could be wrong, but I think what was meant is there is a standard grip safety. I would recommend a check on some of the auctions sites (gunbroker, auctionarms). IMO, I would try to get the handgun for about $500 first, but would pay $549 for the Springer.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-19-2010, 01:09 AM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

It's a Springer Champion GI model and $549 for a used one seems a tad high to me. All of the short barreled Springers use a bull barrel (no bushing) and they are decent guns. If the tiny sights don't work for you, it's costly to have the slide milled for a front dovetail to give you the most sight options.

Again, decent gun but the price seems high to me. Bud's last price:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_24/products_id/32586

Last edited by NGIB; 05-19-2010 at 01:12 AM.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:15 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

like i said im not a guru with the 1911's. the only 1911 i really know is the one my dad had me grow up with.

some friends of mine have the mil-spec SA 1911. I'm fairly certain my next gun will be a Springfield 1911, i just don't know what model yet.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:59 AM   #7

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Yeah it's pretty much Springers version of the Officers model (isn't it?). A lot of those smaller 1911's don't use a Bbl. bushing. My MK IV Officers didn't. I'm gonna agree that that might be a little high but I do not know the area you're in to compare. Buds is in Ky not too far from me and that would be high for a used one. Provided Bud's has one. They don't seem to stick around long there. Doing a quick gunbroker search shows prices as high as 634.00 (Mo.) to 477 (Pa).

If you can find a new one in a shop in your area you might get a better idea about your area. Also do you have any idea just how used the Springer is?

Old 05-19-2010, 06:28 AM   #8

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Bushingless barrels are called Bull Barrel.

Here's a NIB Springfield PW9142LP GI CHAMP for less:

Springfield Armory 7 + 1 Round Parkerized Champion 45 ACP w/4" Barrel

Bud's is out of stock but sells it NIB for $516 delivered.

Springfield PW9142LP GI CHAMP 4IN 45PK PKG for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $516.00

Shop around or bargain with the guy.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Wow, what a difference in prices across the nation. I'm up in Seattle/Tacoma area. To answer some questions. VERY LITTLE wear. Magazine barely has scuff marks. Follower has a very faint drag-line on it from last round chambered. Was a pistol owned by an employee of GS.

If I get the Toyota Camry for my wife today, there will be no prob. getting the pistol into the house..

Gunpowder Addict For 40 Years Now

Old 05-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2866 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

So, maybe I was a little high? (Darn medication )

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)