Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   1911 Gunsmithing books (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/1911-gunsmithing-books-85280/)

trip286 02-27-2013 02:21 AM

1911 Gunsmithing books

Okay, so after my recent foray into the world of trying to track down parts locally...

I've decided that, although I may not (likely won't) make a career out of it, I would like to learn more about smithing the 1911. This is something I expect will help me in the long run, because I plan on doing all my own work, and one day, I would like to own a 1911 collection as extensive and impressive as other's here.

Any good books to start with?

I'm thinking the Kunhausen (sp?) shop manuals. Anyone familiar with them?

deadsp0t 02-27-2013 02:28 AM

Interested for my own use as well, *subscribed*

trip286 02-27-2013 02:33 AM

Cool. If I had to guess from your avatar, we would like the same books.

deadsp0t 02-27-2013 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286
Cool. If I had to guess from your avatar, we would like the same books.

Actually finishing my third time through the series, this being the 1st time I had 'Wind through the keyhole' to go between books 4-5

trip286 02-27-2013 02:50 AM

I read through it twice and read the one your on too, then picked and chose a couple. I also HAD to read several that were referenced in the series, hearts of Atlantis, from a Buick 8, and insomnia. So many of his books reference each other.

Axxe55 02-27-2013 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1155931)
Okay, so after my recent foray into the world of trying to track down parts locally...

I've decided that, although I may not (likely won't) make a career out of it, I would like to learn more about smithing the 1911. This is something I expect will help me in the long run, because I plan on doing all my own work, and one day, I would like to own a 1911 collection as extensive and impressive as other's here.

Any good books to start with?

I'm thinking the Kunhausen (sp?) shop manuals. Anyone familiar with them?

those are good books. i have seen them, and really need a set of my own.

both of you need to check out Brownell's and MidwayUSA. both carry a lot of books on the 1911's. Brownell's has a very extensive collection of them, from basic cleaning and maintenance to full on modifications.

trip286 02-27-2013 03:02 AM

I've been anxiously awaiting their 1911 catalog...

Axxe55 02-27-2013 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1156005)
I've been anxiously awaiting their 1911 catalog...

i need to get a new one myself. that and the huge catalog as well.

NotMormon 02-27-2013 03:59 AM

Kuhnhausen shop manuals may be all that YOU will need. There is also an Ed Brown publication on customization that has been recomended to me numerous times but I have not induldged yet. As I'm sure you already know, prepare to invest some cash if you are serious about it. Hopefully you have access/knowhow in machine work as you can make some of the jigs/necessities without feeling like a prison play toy. I'm just starting the fun myself.:)

trip286 03-08-2013 06:04 PM

I would start small and work myself up. Things I could do cheap, quick, and easy, like mostly parts replacement. But, some parts need a little handfitting occasionally, and I would like a better understanding of how they interact so that I could do the best I could. Again, I wouldn't be looking at going into business doing it, at least not right away. That would be something like a 5 or 10 year goal.

I'm actually pretty good with handfiles and stones. Did some revolver work on my own gun and for a local cop in my old town (he had me do some action work on his S&W model 36), and I learned it all from Larry Potterfield's youtube videos ;)