1911- the good, the bad and the ugly...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911- the good, the bad and the ugly...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1911- the good, the bad and the ugly...

Hey guys and gals,
I'm looking for a 4" (+/-) 1911 compact. I can spend $1,000 max. I haven't shot any recently ( used to have a Colt Officer's .45ACP. That's why I've narrowed it down to 1911's) What are some compact 1911's you have owned or still own that you love(d) or hate(d) and why? Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

This is the best gun that I've ever owned. It doesn't exhibit problems that are typical in a lot of short 1911s. I've never had a single misfeed or other failure. It groups nice and tight and fits my hand very well. My only complaint about the pistol is the lack of night sights and the Parkerized finish. One of these days, I'll get it sent in to Wilson to have some sights and a coat of Armor Tuff for it.

I'd look into one with a checked front strap, as recoil flip was a big issue to me initially. If you can't spring for a higher end model with the checked front, a $30 set of Hogue Combats helps get the front site down a little quicker. There are some issues with handling a 1911 that become even more important when shooting a short 1911, so read up on how to hold the pistol and learn how to do it. The hold that I learned is hard to do early on because it doesn't feel natural, but once mastered, the muscle memory will let the pistol fall right into that position and it is a rock solid platform to shoot from.

$947 MSRP, you can probably pick one up for about $800: http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/compactprocarry/compactstainless.php

$834 MSRP, you could probably pick one up for a little over $700: http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/compactprocarry/procarry.php

Last edited by matt g; 01-01-2008 at 10:15 PM.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:21 AM   #3

Thanks Matt, The Kimber is on my list except I was looking at the Pro Carry SS.( I guess I'm intrigued by shiny things! ) Also on my list are the Para Tac Four and theColt XSE LTW Commander. I appreciate the input. It'll be for CC so I'm not concerned so much with extreme accuracy as I am with quality and fit&finish.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:06 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Especially if you're looking for stainless, shoot both the Comapct and Pro Carry. I preferred the shortened grip of the Compact because it is easier to hide. The full length grip of the Pro Carry left a considerable butt mark in a t-shirt. Here is the profile that my Compact leaves:

edit: If your primary use of it will be carry, you might want to save up a few extra bucks and take a look at Kimber's CDP line.
http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/cdp/compactcdp.php
http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/cdp/procdp.php

Last edited by matt g; 01-02-2008 at 02:14 AM.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:01 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Definitely a Kimber. Agree with you on the stainless. I carry a Pro Carry for my CCW, no issue with the full size grip. If you are going to carry it everywhere (and that is the way to do it) a stainless gun is the only way to go. Let us know how it comes out. Only add I recommend is night sights and potentially a front strap checkering job (not that necessary though if you grip properly). The OEM grips were a pleasant surprise for me, great for daily carry (durable) and sticky enough to grip with somewhat sweaty hands. Big Kimber fan, wouldn't mess with the CDP for a carry piece though. Spend the extra $$$$ on lots of good ammo and a set of Wilson mags.
regards

Old 01-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #6

I just checked out (didn't shoot) the Kimber Compact over at Mike's Gun Shop in Tazewell, TN and I'm sold! I love the weight of it and it felt really, really, REALLY good in my hands. They can get me a SS in a week. Now I just need to clear it with my accounting dept. (She's a tuffy!)

Old 01-05-2008, 07:46 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergus View Post
I just checked out (didn't shoot) the Kimber Compact over at Mike's Gun Shop in Tazewell, TN and I'm sold! I love the weight of it and it felt really, really, REALLY good in my hands. They can get me a SS in a week. Now I just need to clear it with my accounting dept. (She's a tuffy!)
Were you looking at an aluminum or steel framed pistol? There is a consderable weight difference between the two. I opted for steel when I bought mine. I'd like to have the extra weight in case I end up having to pistol whip someone.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:13 PM   #8

I'm going with the aluminum frame. I held the Compact aluminum frame (not SS) and a Raptor w/ 4" barrel and I just really liked the feel of the aluminum during presentation. Y'all need to do some sort of psychic oinky to get my wife to agree to it

Old 01-06-2008, 05:48 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergus View Post
I'm going with the aluminum frame. I held the Compact aluminum frame (not SS) and a Raptor w/ 4" barrel and I just really liked the feel of the aluminum during presentation. Y'all need to do some sort of psychic oinky to get my wife to agree to it
I'll burn some newt's eyes and wings of bats for you during the next full moon.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:51 PM   #10

I have a Kimber Pro Raptor II and love it.