1911 full length guide rod - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

1911 full length guide rod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #21
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3525 Times on 2022 Posts
Likes Given: 1552

[quote=jismail;606989]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post

Thanks! One more question, for the spring lb, what is the stock spring rating? (I shoot standard .45 ammo, not +P or any other "hot rounds"
Watch where you empties go.
If they fall at your feet, the # is a little too much.
If they shoot to the next county, the # is a not enough.

You want the empties to land 4-6 feet to the rear and right.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
I believe 16lb is factory
thats correct. ive never had a single problem installing 1911 16# springs. i find them easier than your typical flg guide rod and spring setup you find on DA/striker guns
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 10-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #23

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

I must be missing something about assembly/disassembly. I have never had a problem controlling the spring during either action.

Carl Sagan

Old 10-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #24

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I must be missing something about assembly/disassembly. I have never had a problem controlling the spring during either action.
Try doing a .40 with a 20# recoil spring.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Inertia and peening

If you ever saw a 1911 fired with high speed Xray photography with those heavy full length guide rods you would not use them with standard power recoil springs. Any of you guys remember high school physics?

Old 11-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I just bought my first 1911, a Colt 01980XSE. It has the long recoil spring guide rod. Since this is my first 1911, I have nothing to compare it to other than the field strip demos on YouTube. I don't see a material effect on reassembly.

I did read somewhere that the minor additional weight at the end of the gun might help reduce muzzle flip.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:53 AM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default gun moves back guide rod follows

A little more background to my earlier statement. I have been talking with guys who run some serious government security at some of the facilities I work at. They all shoot a lot of ammo yearly. Several have had their 1911s lock up after the recoil had peened the guide rod recoil pad wide enough to wedge it in the frame making the gun inoperable and a bitch to take a part. So we set up a look and see shot with high speed xray. The full length guide rod was bouncing the back end of the frame by about 3/16 of an inch with standard 45 loads and more with +P. Higher energy springs would be the fix here. A Kimber was the source of study for the shot.

One guy has been shooting a Colt series 70 since like dinosaurs were pets or something. Except for springs he claims no trouble since buying it in Marion Ohio in 1974. My opinion as a wannabe engineer slaving for her PhD is that John M. Browning had a lot of intuition and skill building this gun. Leave it at that.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:37 AM   #28

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I've read they'll help reduce muzzle flip also. I've held a FLGR in one hand & a standard one in the other & couldn't feel any significant difference. I've even read where some get them made out of titanium for that reason. I'm sorry, but my glasses have titanium frames because they are lighter than stainless!

My Colt XSE came with a FLGR. After the first tear down, I ordered a standard guide rod.

Remembered something else. I've read they were required to keep high pressure springs from binding up on recoil. Of course, I don't know why the high pressure springs are necessary since the 1911 can be fired, with no damage, without a recoil spring. Just has to be fed & put into battery manually.

Last edited by gollygee; 11-04-2011 at 05:06 AM.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:37 AM   #29

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Full length guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
None.

You only need a flg if your using a recoil spring above 20lbs. At that point it helps to keep it from binding. Below that it serves no purpose.
Overall I agree with the above comment.

There are those who would say that the small addition in weight will mitigate some of the felt recoil as well.

NRA Benefactor Life
US Army 1972-1980
TSRA Life;GOA Life

Old 11-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #30

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Wow. Lots of info in this thread. Here is another question, though, from a 1911 newbie (but not a handgun newbie).

As to muzzle flip. My daily carry gun is a Springfield XDm-45, which comes with a hollow steel guide rod. Some people have actually filled their XDM guide rods with lead pellets to make them heavier, for the purpose of reducing muzzle flip.

FWIW, I compared the weight of the end of the muzzle on my XDM-45 (4.5 inch barrel) and 01980XSE (5" barrel) both with full magazines, 13 and 8 rounds, respectively, using the bottom rear of the trigger guard as the fulcrum. Both weighed--or "tipped forward" almost exactly 3.5 ounces. A full length guide rod weighs approximately one ounce, so presumably the shorter rod may weigh two-thirds that weight, so how much effect on muzzle flip can a third of an ounce have?

There must be some reason Colt put that long rod in the 01980XSE, though, or why do it--when the shorter guide rod must be cheaper.