1911 fit, form, finish, reliability etc
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 fit, form, finish, reliability etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 04:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default 1911 fit, form, finish, reliability etc

So, I had a Stainless Kimber TLE/RL II full size for a few years. It had some undesirable issues that were beyond a pain caused from a kick to the balls buy a guy suffering from a bad case of elephantitis on the nutz. Anyway, it's long gone. Now I'm pondering which one to hunt down. (I will not even consider to Taurus) I like the Colt Gov't Model, the Remington R1 pearl harbor edition, Sig FastBlack 1911 Nightmare, RIA, but am thinking about the ATI for it's super low $400 entry level gun. this will be one I tinker with so I'm not in the market for the highest dollar gun possible.

What are everyones experiences from here during your tenure he at FATF

GP

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-08-2013, 05:10 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
So, I had a Stainless Kimber TLE/RL II full size for a few years. It had some undesirable issues that were beyond a pain caused from a kick to the balls buy a guy suffering from a bad case of elephantitis on the nutz. Anyway, it's long gone. Now I'm pondering which one to hunt down. (I will not even consider to Taurus) I like the Colt Gov't Model, the Remington R1 pearl harbor edition, Sig FastBlack 1911 Nightmare, RIA, but am thinking about the ATI for it's super low $400 entry level gun. this will be one I tinker with so I'm not in the market for the highest dollar gun possible.

What are everyones experiences from here during your tenure he at FATF

GP
okay here's my take on 1911's.

the Colt is the original and the standard to which all other 1911's are based on and measured by. this is not that the colt is the best there is, just the original and the pattern that everyone else has copied to some extent. because of this, the Colts will always be regarded as the iconic of the 1911's. the Colts will always be considered the heirlooms of the 1911 world of 1911's. Colts are, well they are Colts!

Kimber makes some very nice looking 1911's no doubt, but with such a short warranty period and such a high price, it's what would keep my from buying one. some have wonderful luck with them and some have miserable luck with them. go figure!

Remington R1's. well i have one. very well made and very accurate pistol. fit and finish are great. love mine. biggest detractor is the Series 80 style firing system. because of this mine will probably never get modified. made a simple grip change, and that's all mine needs. Remington did the 1911 right with the birth of the R1's. and they are attractively priced as well. and they are offering more versions as well. great pistols.

RIA's are gaining in popularity and rightfully so. very well made pistols at a very decent price. reliable and decently accurate. available in several calibers, sizes and finishes. very good choice for the budget minded or those looking for one to modify and build into a truly custom pistol. many who own them are very impressed with them. i have handled them and would not hesitate in buying one.

ATI. not for sure about them. heard very little, so i won't comment at this time on them. would like to check them out and see what they would be in comparison to.