Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 feed problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1911 feed problem

I am having a feed problem with my very standard Springfield 1911A1 [9mm]
I am sure someone out there can help me.
I load my own ammo and am happy with it. I use 4 different brand mags and am having a feed problem with them all.
when threatened with a 'tap, rack and roll' a tap will usually result in the next round feeding in ok.
It seems that the mag is not sitting quite high enough. It has about 1.2mm
[0.050"] or so free play. Is this as per spec or should I be looking at something else.
I would like to inspect the mag retainer, is it ok just to remove this with the gun completely assembled?

thanks team

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2279 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Welcome to the FTF. Please check into the "Introductions" area when you get a chance.

Now, on to the problem. The normal feed sequence is the round will go up the feed ramp, hit the top of the chamber, then line up to go in. On the cheapest mag, try opening the lips a little more, and see how it does. Use needle nose pliers and go slow. The 9mm mags are pickier than the .45 ones.

The mag retainer (really, magazine release) can be removed without complete disassembly. If it has the flat screw head, try to (gently) "unscrew" as you push the mag release in. You will feel where the lug will go into a slot. The "screw" will turn counterclockwise about 90 degrees and stop. Then the mag release with come out.
But I do not think that is the problem.

Keep us informed.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 09-12-2010, 01:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Welcome to the FTF. Please check into the "Introductions" area when you get a chance.

Now, on to the problem. The normal feed sequence is the round will go up the feed ramp, hit the top of the chamber, then line up to go in. On the cheapest mag, try opening the lips a little more, and see how it does. Use needle nose pliers and go slow. The 9mm mags are pickier than the .45 ones.

The mag retainer (really, magazine release) can be removed without complete disassembly. If it has the flat screw head, try to (gently) "unscrew" as you push the mag release in. You will feel where the lug will go into a slot. The "screw" will turn counterclockwise about 90 degrees and stop. Then the mag release with come out.
But I do not think that is the problem.

Keep us informed.
thanks danf

i will give it a go with one of the kkk mags i have. these 10 rnd mags have never ever reliably fed the first 2 or 3 rounds, should have gone with all shooting star mags as these have proven most reliable!!

Old 09-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I'm a far cry from being any sort of a gunsmith..... having said that, none of my 1911 mags have anywhere near .050" of free play. You might consider modifying your grip to apply upward pressure on the magazine base, and see how, or if that affects your feeding issue.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 09-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I'm a far cry from being any sort of a gunsmith..... having said that, none of my 1911 mags have anywhere near .050" of free play. You might consider modifying your grip to apply upward pressure on the magazine base, and see how, or if that affects your feeding issue.
Jay
thanks for the input. Tapping the bottom of the mag usually does the trick.
I am going for the mechanical side of things first as all mags are seemingly giving the same problem. I am sorta hoping that it is something to do with the mag release...... will see tonight

Old 09-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Get another mag release from a friend (the .45 and 9mm are interchangeable, in mine anyways). Even without going to the range, you should see a difference if that is the problem.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 09-20-2010, 10:27 AM   #7

Default update

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Get another mag release from a friend (the .45 and 9mm are interchangeable, in mine anyways). Even without going to the range, you should see a difference if that is the problem.
had a look at a friends 1911 .45 and the mag freeplay is about the same [about 1mm, after re inspection mine is about that.
took the mag release out and cleaned it , yeah it was a bit dirty.
wasnt much better on the range on sunday though. the general consensus among the wise elders, [ i always like to take any advice onboard] was to shorten to loa of the round by .5 to 1 mm. that will be down from what i am running now [28.5 - 28.6mm], anyhoo we will see......

Old 09-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'm sorry, I should have picked up on that Overall Length before when you said that you reload.

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 10-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #9

Default 1911A1 9mm feed problem fixed??

well the shorter round seems to have done the job.
I put 150 rnds thru in prac pistol last weekend with only 1 misfeed
so 27.6 to 27.8mm seems the go, i did however break the golden rule and changed 2 things as I had to use round nose projjies [at 135grain with 3.6 to 3.7 grain AP70N powder]
I will be re loading another 150 or so this week for the coming weekend hopefully all will go well.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:10 PM   #10

another 120 rounds and [seemingly] problem solved..........