1911 fall away mags
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 fall away mags

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default 1911 fall away mags

Alright, so I got the Kimber out again today and started playing with it again. I was very upset, I got over it and since I've got the gun, it's going to get 1 more chance before I decide to unload it.

When I was playing with the magazines, I found that I actually had to pull the magazine out of the weapon which I don't like at all. Is this normal? In some cases it wouldn't even seperate from the base of the grip and I would have to pull it out. Is this the mag or the weapon?

One feature I like on my XD is that when I push the release, the mag falls to the floor, leaving an open well for a fresh one. Even when the mag is empty. Thoughts??

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Jesus Spitty - Just call it a loss brother... LOL You are NEVER going to be happy with that weapon... LOL

All my mags fall from my weapon when I depress the mag release, if the weapon is straight up and down, except for my H&K & my Kimber .22 ( it has the plastic magazines ). I have to wrist snap it to get those to drop.

I seriously wish I had the extra cash lying around to just cut you a check and get that thing away from you so you can rest easy with your Tactical Plastic.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:29 PM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

All of mine drop free from all of mine as well. I did have a buddy that was having this problem and if I remember correctly there was a burr on the mag release catch which caused the problem. He removed the catch, smoothed the burr, and viola - it worked. YMMV

Old 09-16-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Jesus Spitty - Just call it a loss brother... LOL You are NEVER going to be happy with that weapon... LOL

All my mags fall from my weapon when I depress the mag release, if the weapon is straight up and down, except for my H&K & my Kimber .22 ( it has the plastic magazines ). I have to wrist snap it to get those to drop.

I seriously wish I had the extra cash lying around to just cut you a check and get that thing away from you so you can rest easy with your Tactical Plastic.
I'm more then happy with my XD but I figured over 100 years of an unchanged platform has earned a second look. Not to mention it's a Kimber....not exactly the rep of a Jennings. I'll give it another chance....I'm a man of second chances.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:49 PM   #5

Well, the next step would be to run a couple of cotton balls along the mags and along the inside of the mag well. See if there is something that is snagging them that shouldn't be....

Try taking the grips off all together. That will give you a real good, clear image of what is going on inside the handle when you press the release....

JD

Old 09-17-2009, 12:14 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Well, the next step would be to run a couple of cotton balls along the mags and along the inside of the mag well. See if there is something that is snagging them that shouldn't be....

Try taking the grips off all together. That will give you a real good, clear image of what is going on inside the handle when you press the release....

JD
I will try this.

Let me refine my question. Is it in the 1911 design to hold a magazine in the well verses having it drop free? In a combat situation, I would find a drop away magazine favorable but I'm learning the 1911 platform which is the reason for my question.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:21 AM   #7

All of my 1911's have magazines that drop free and clear, provided I don't have it turned 60 degrees off center of something.

If you turn it upside down, it won't throw them out the top.

But yes, if it were mine, I would expect the mags to drop free and clear when I hit the button to release...

JD

Old 09-17-2009, 12:25 AM   #8

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Just remembered one I had a few years ago. The grips screws could be turned so tight that they touched the mag - causing no drop free. I put a small spacer under the grips (thin rubber) and didn't overtighten - problem solved. Finally realized the previous owner had installed slim bushings and forgot to replace them when he sold the gun with regular grips & screws. Also, only snug grip screw - no need for a torque wrench.

Take off the grips and see if the mags drop...

Last edited by NGIB; 09-17-2009 at 12:28 AM.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:29 AM   #9

Quote:

JD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post

Take off the grips and see if the mags drop...
Yeah, that sounds like good advice.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:32 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'll do that tomrrow. My wife wants some chocolate and I'm hoping it leads into something else.....you gents have a good evening. Thank you for the advice.