Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 Disassembly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 03:27 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: In a little town on the east coast of Florida across the river from the VAB.
Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
THAT is why i dont let just anyone touch one of my guns and why i try and do everything myself.
This is what I am doing now. However I have found not one but 2 Master Gunsmiths at one location! They are the real deal! So if I ever do need work that I simply can not do myself then I'll go to them. But money is a barrier for me to have work done by a 'smith. If I can get some tools for less than the price that they are asking for the work I want done, and I feel that with the tool(s) I can do the job myself, then I'll buy the tool and do it myself.

Case in point. The tangs of one of my guns have been rounded over, not shortened, just rounded over. When fitted with a Beavertail grip safety with the proper 0.250" radius there is an unsightly gap between the plane of the flat of the frame and the plane of the side of the Beavertail. Ugly! So I have temporarily come up with a "fix" using a more or less standard GI style grip safety with a tang that allows the use of a Commander style hammer and some polymer clay that has to be baked to harden it.

Well I came up with the idea of shortening down the tangs to a 0.220: radius and using a beavertail with that radius. This would minimize the ugly gap mentioned earlier. I checked this out with a Brownell's gunsmith and he agreed that it should work. So I called the 2 Master Gunsmiths to see the cost of just shortening down the tangs, nothing else, They quoted me an over the phone price (they did not see the gun) and was quoted a price of approximately $50 to $60!

After I got up off the floor I looked at the online Brownell's catalog and found an installation jig by Smith and Alexander (the people who make the beavertail I want with a 0.220 radius) for under $11 my coast! So for the price they want for the work alone I can get an installation jig and an S & A grip safety.

So I try to do all the work I need done myself.

John

Old 02-20-2014, 03:29 AM   #42

Location: In a little town on the east coast of Florida across the river from the VAB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
From whom? About what?

John

Old 02-20-2014, 06:01 AM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 137 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 147

That is my website it leads to armorers manuals

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #44
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5241 Times on 2733 Posts
Likes Given: 329

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelonegunman View Post
This is what I am doing now. However I have found not one but 2 Master Gunsmiths at one location! They are the real deal! So if I ever do need work that I simply can not do myself then I'll go to them. But money is a barrier for me to have work done by a 'smith. If I can get some tools for less than the price that they are asking for the work I want done, and I feel that with the tool(s) I can do the job myself, then I'll buy the tool and do it myself.

Case in point. The tangs of one of my guns have been rounded over, not shortened, just rounded over. When fitted with a Beavertail grip safety with the proper 0.250" radius there is an unsightly gap between the plane of the flat of the frame and the plane of the side of the Beavertail. Ugly! So I have temporarily come up with a "fix" using a more or less standard GI style grip safety with a tang that allows the use of a Commander style hammer and some polymer clay that has to be baked to harden it.

Well I came up with the idea of shortening down the tangs to a 0.220: radius and using a beavertail with that radius. This would minimize the ugly gap mentioned earlier. I checked this out with a Brownell's gunsmith and he agreed that it should work. So I called the 2 Master Gunsmiths to see the cost of just shortening down the tangs, nothing else, They quoted me an over the phone price (they did not see the gun) and was quoted a price of approximately $50 to $60!

After I got up off the floor I looked at the online Brownell's catalog and found an installation jig by Smith and Alexander (the people who make the beavertail I want with a 0.220 radius) for under $11 my coast! So for the price they want for the work alone I can get an installation jig and an S & A grip safety.

So I try to do all the work I need done myself.

John
what i do is if the tools to do the job are less than twice the cost of the time and gas to find a competent smith to do the work i do it myself and buy the tools.

i prefer learning and working on my own guns.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-21-2014, 04:10 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
what i do is if the tools to do the job are less than twice the cost of the time and gas to find a competent smith to do the work i do it myself and buy the tools.

i prefer learning and working on my own guns.
Cool. I agree 100%. I like learning about my 1911's.

John