1911 differences
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 differences

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 06:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Default 1911 differences

ok my old man got a tauras PT1911 .45ACP I've shot it and it's nice accurate pistol. But what I was wondering is if mid priced 1911's are accurate and shoot good then why do people pay for the top dollar 1911's?

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-31-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2862 Times on 1655 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Have you shot one?

I have several 1911s and each has their own "personality". The top dollar ones have a different feel. The slide to frame fit is better (in most cases). The trigger pull is nicer. Sights may be better. And the list goes on.

But one of the best ways to look at it is to compare cars to each other. Most cars have 4 wheels, seats, doors, motors, and can go up hill on their own. But why are some cars more desirable than others? Some handle better than others. Some are more comfortable than others. Some are more powerful than others. Some look better than others. Some have a history that others can't touch.

When I look in a magazine, and come across a 1911 ad, I can tell by the gun if it is a Les Baer or Springfield just by the images. Some of the earlier CZ-Dan Wessons looked like some of the Ed Browns, but if held in the hand and slide racked, you can feel the difference.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #3

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Name on the gun, fit and finish, quality. Couple reasons to spend more

Old 05-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #4

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Some are some aren't -
Cause they can-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 05-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #5

Liked 125 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 63

My MetroArms American Classic (AC) Government model has nearly 2,000 rounds thru it since in the past 1.5 years. It cost me just under $500. It has not had one problem and is as accurate as I allow it to be. Comparing it to my Colt Government Model, the fit is actually tighter on the AC than is on the Colt, which has a slight rattle when shaken (but who shakes a gun anyway?).

My STI Spartan V is probably the most accurate of my 1911s, which is aided by the fiber optic front sight. The Spartan V has a tighter fit than the Colt, as tight as the AC. The finish is parkerized instead of blued, so not an exact comparison.

The lines and edges on the Colt and Spartan are much smoother and/or are more squared off than the AC, which gives them a bit more classier look.

Although the AC is one of the lower priced guns out there, it definitely and easily will hold its own to the mid priced Spartan and Colt 1911s.

I like the MetroArms guns enough that I just bought one of their new models, the 9mm Commander and am happy with that one too.

Last edited by qwiksdraw; 05-31-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #6

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Several years ago I had the opportunity to go shooting with a member of this board. We shot a Taurus 1911 next to a brand new Nighthawk 1911.

The Taurus was reliable and a good shooter. The Nighthawk just had a precision to it that is difficult to describe, it just felt like every part was designed specifically for that particular gun.

Is it worth the extra money, in my opinion not really. But then it depends on if that is a lot of money to you and what you will use it for.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 05-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #7

Liked 429 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I've got expensive 1911s and I also have a Taurus. The Taurus is just as reliable and my offhand groups are not much different with it than with my other guns.

The difference is in the fit and finish. After shooting the Taurus, it gets forgotten about until the next range session. With my other guns, I like to fondle them and look at them and operate them all the time.

A Timex will keep the same time as a Rolex. But you sure appreciate the Rolex more. They are both tools used to tell time. But you appreciate a lot more about one than the other.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2123 Times on 1151 Posts
Likes Given: 769

Probably 10 years ago I was shooting with a friend and got to try his Les Baer. It proved to me the difference between typical production guns and real high quality shop work. I never knew I could make a group that tight. At least at that time.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 06-05-2013, 04:30 AM   #9

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I was just wondering I've never really shot that many 1911's after shooting the taurus how nice the trigger pull was a how it shot it just kinda made most of the other pistols I've shot seem kinda dissapointing. I was just wondering because this $500 1911 shoots real nice and I was thinking about getting one but didn't know if spending the extra money was worth it or if it was just for looks thanks guys for the info

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 06-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2862 Times on 1655 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

I have an old Springfield-Armory I originally bought for $350 (new price back then).

With time and a lot of work, it has one of the best triggers of all my 1911s.
Accuracy has been improved.
I would put it against any top dollar 1911 any day.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)