Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > 1911 choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1911 choices

So I've had many many 1911"s over the years but I don't currently have one. I'm in the market hard for one and I've narrowed it down too three! I'm looking at the Springfield range officer, kimber stainless target 2 or the colt gold up trophy. I assume that the kimber and SA will run about the same as far as action and accuracy. But the big question is it worth the extra money to buy the colt? I've had several several Kimbers and from my experience the more u spend the guns don't get any better, unless u step to the custom shop series obviously. U get more bells an whistles but the gun itself isn't any better. So would it be worth spending the extra 500 to buy the colt or will they shoot the same as far as recoil and accuracy? I hope someone is knowledgeable about SA and colt bc I am def not!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2013, 12:52 AM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom1911
So I've had many many 1911"s over the years but I don't currently have one. I'm in the market hard for one and I've narrowed it down too three! I'm looking at the Springfield range officer, kimber stainless target 2 or the colt gold up trophy. I assume that the kimber and SA will run about the same as far as action and accuracy. But the big question is it worth the extra money to buy the colt? I've had several several Kimbers and from my experience the more u spend the guns don't get any better, unless u step to the custom shop series obviously. U get more bells an whistles but the gun itself isn't any better. So would it be worth spending the extra 500 to buy the colt or will they shoot the same as far as recoil and accuracy? I hope someone is knowledgeable about SA and colt bc I am def not!
That's your problem, you've been dealing with kimbers. Beautiful guns sure. Way overpriced for what you get in my opinion. Colt gold cup is THE 1911 all others are compared too. For the money, you can't get a better deal than a range officer in my opinion. The kimber is pretty but so is the plastic chrome on my baby boys battery powered Harley. Really pretty, but won't last long. I'd go RO, but a gold cup sure is iconic.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20073 Times on 11419 Posts
Likes Given: 50631

if you can afford it, get the Colt. i seriously doubt that many regret ever buying a Colt 1911.

i like the SA Range Officer and have owned several SA 1911's over the years and still currently own one, but Colt is just one fine pistol and there's no way of etting around that fact.

the Kimber's look nice and some people are very pleased with them, but IMO, they are a little overpriced and have too short a warranty period for the amount of maoney spent.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:13 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

In my book the Springfield is the one that all others are copied after!!!

He Who Expects Nothing Won't Be Deceived!!!

Old 02-14-2013, 03:01 AM   #5

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnjoer View Post
I think a lot of people would strongly disagree with your book. Springfield makes some decent guns, but none of their sub-$1000 guns impress me. Trophy Match and TRP are the only ones that raise an eyebrow for me.

If the OP is only considering those options then the Gold Cup would easily be my choice.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:03 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

I believe if you look up 1911 pistol in the dictionary, you will find a picture of a Colt 1911.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus

I think a lot of people would strongly disagree with your book. Springfield makes some decent guns, but none of their sub-$1000 guns impress me. Trophy Match and TRP are the only ones that raise an eyebrow for me.

If the OP is only considering those options then the Gold Cup would easily be my choice.
Not even the RO impresses you? That's a ton of gun for the money!!

Old 02-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #8

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnjoer View Post
Not hardly----------
Go Colt

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #9

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom1911 View Post
I've had several several Kimbers and from my experience the more u spend the guns don't get any better, unless u step to the custom shop series obviously. U get more bells an whistles but the gun itself isn't any better. So would it be worth spending the extra 500 to buy the colt or will they shoot the same as far as recoil and accuracy?
If you feel that more money doesn't get you more gun, but only more bells and whistles...

Then maybe a home build is in order. I would start with a cheaper basic model from a reputable maker, like a 70 series Colt or SA milspec. You could also go completely custom and just get a frame/slide set from a company like Caspian and build completely from the ground up.

I priced out a custom build about this time last year, and I could build one EXACTLY how I want it for about $1,100.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #10

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke-again124 View Post

Not even the RO impresses you? That's a ton of gun for the money!!
Not especially. I don't see the TRP quality that they are marketing it to have. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good gun. But there are a lot of other good guns in the same price range. And the RO, to me, doesn't stand out in the crowd. That's just my take on it.